Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Brick work Mortar cracks

Page 1 of 1
Hi folks,

I found a few random mortar cracks under the windows. It is around or under 1mm wide. Doesnt really look obvious unless you look into it.
Need some experts to see if this needs attention or just normal settlement.

house is 2 year old.

You cant tell from a closes up of a crack
What's your site classification?
Check your engineering drawings for Masonry Articulation Joints (AJ) around windows and walls on the plan
Cheers
Chris
StructuralBIMGuy
You cant tell from a closes up of a crack
What's your site classification?
Check your engineering drawings for Masonry Articulation Joints (AJ) around windows and walls on the plan
Cheers
Chris

Thank you Chris for your reply.
The site is H1, there is no crack around AJ. My guess is the window flush was not sealed properly and moisture can go behind the brick ?

I'm guessing that's a 2.4m corner window?
Try putting a plan up showing the window location
You will need to monitor the cracking
Cheers
Chris
Thanks Chris,

There r 2 210 windows connected, that window has been replaced during construction as the size was slight bigger or something like that.

Do you need to get a structural guy to have a look? Since it is still within builder's warranty.

Tanks again

Thanks for the additional information
You will also need to track down the engineering Column and lintel details referred to on the plans.
If you don't have copies then your local council Building department should have copies
I'm also guessing you didn't take photos during construction judging from the previous posted 3 years ago?
BTW if you have photos put them up
It's probably wise to have it checked against the correct Certified Engineering details
Cheers
Chris
It would be a good idea to Reference the crack and photos here
Checking Cracks above Lintels Using Bosch Laser
Cheers
Chris
franknewhome
Update:

When builder replace those windows due to wrong size, they cut the original flash and the weep holes just become not functional.
There is a big gap between the top course of the brick and the window frame which make the water really easy to get in.
The crack looks really wet and all along the line with original weep holes.

Any thought how build would fix it? I have talked to them but they did not come and have a look yet.
It seems not easy to fix the flash problem, can that be flashed externally ?

Thanks Chris,

There r 2 210 windows connected, that window has been replaced during construction as the size was slight bigger or something like that.

Do you need to get a structural guy to have a look? Since it is still within builder's warranty.

Tanks again

Unfortunately, the bricks will need to be removed
to correctly install the cavity flashing.
Also the window company should place additional aluminium trim to better close the gap on the outside
BTW moisture doesn't cause bricks to crack (unless it freezes and expands within the brick?)
It's more likely tensile stresses, do you need an engineer not unless the cracks are getting worse over time.
Monitor the crack patterns and put the builder on notice if the problem persists outside of the structural warranty period.
Do you have photos of the wall and roof framing stages at the large window location?
Thanks for the information as it also helps others
Cheers
Chris
StructuralBIMGuy
Unfortunately, the bricks will need to be removed
to correctly install the cavity flashing.
Also the window company should place additional aluminium trim to better close the gap on the outside
BTW moisture doesn't cause bricks to crack (unless it freezes and expands within the brick?)
It's more likely tensile stresses, do you need an engineer not unless the cracks are getting worse over time.
Monitor the crack patterns and put the builder on notice if the problem persists outside of the structural warranty period.
Do you have photos of the wall and roof framing stages at the large window location?
Thanks for the information as it also helps others
Cheers
Chris

Thanks chris, that is really helpful information. I was hoping builder can just do some magic without open the brick. But since it is only top course and access is not an issue, it would be half a day job for a decent brick layer?

I've attached a couple of more photos, it does look like the brick/mortar shrink and getting loose along the marked line. The evidence is the weep holes plastic has a gap on 3 dimensions, different colour with the mortar and the loose line along the joint between brick and mortars.
Also, the frame as a thin timber attached, rather than steel along the line not sure if that is a problem structurally. I tend to believe it is ok?

For those who have their window replaced after brick work, this is something to watch out and really easy to get missed!~

Ho franknewhome

The architectural drawings shows a steel column with studs either side
mid window span
The photo shows 2 boxed studs can't tell if there is a Steel column encased within?
The crack patterns along the horizontal brick line is indicative of the column deflecting outwards
If the bottom window sill plate timber stiffener ( Attached within the cavity) rests on the brickwork it might cause it to crack
in that location?
As you said the bricks will need to be removed and this issue investigated
You should also have Engineering floor, Beam and column plan and details,check the floor level/deflection above the window?
Checking Suspended Floor Deflections With Bosch Laser Tool

OT if you are in a BAL Fire rated area those gaps are too wide?

Thanks for the photos
Kind Regards
Chris
StructuralBIMGuy
Ho franknewhome

The architectural drawings shows a steel column with studs either side
mid window span
The photo shows 2 boxed studs can't tell if there is a Steel column encased within?
The crack patterns along the horizontal brick line is indicative of the column deflecting outwards
If the bottom window sill plate timber stiffener ( Attached within the cavity) rests on the brickwork it might cause it to crack
in that location?
As you said the bricks will need to be removed and this issue investigated
You should also have Engineering floor, Beam and column plan and details,check the floor level/deflection above the window?
Checking Suspended Floor Deflections With Bosch Laser Tool

OT if you are in a BAL Fire rated area those gaps are too wide?

Thanks for the photos
Kind Regards
Chris

Thanks Chris, I will double check once the builder open it. By the look of it, that two posts looks slightly different with the normal frame it might be the steel boxed studs ? It would be easy to tell once they open the brick up though. The window is not resting on the brickwork for sure as I can see the gap from the opening and it is below the timber line. The level would be a clearer indication if that is the case, I will see if I can ask the builder the take the levels.

I will wait for the builder to have its inspection and monitor the crack at the same time. From my past exp with them it will take months to get it fixed.

I think it is a great example of small things can develop overtime and The fix could be a 5 mins attention during construction, sad that my inspector did not pick this up during all stages.
franknewhome
I think it is a great example of small things can develop overtime and The fix could be a 5 mins attention during construction, sad that my inspector did not pick this up during all stages.

Lucky you had the correct photos..once covered up often ignored and forgotten
As for engineering documentation ideally you also require
1. Footing & Slab Plan & details
2. Brick Lintel, beam and column Plans and details
3. Wall Framing Plans and details
4. Floor Plan joists, Beams, Columns
5.Roof Truss engineering Plan & Details
6. Wind loading connection Details for 3,4 & 5 above
If you are missing structural detail items what does the building inspector check
read their disclaimer.
OT, Builders don't like paying for the full engineering services..so it's not always offered during site inspections..
IMO, legislation should make it mandatory.

Cheers
Chris
StructuralBIMGuy
franknewhome

As for engineering documentation ideally you also require
1. Footing & Slab Plan & details
2. Brick Lintel, beam and column Plans and details
3. Wall Framing Plans and details
4. Floor Plan joists, Beams, Columns
5.Roof Truss engineering Plan & Details
6. Wind loading connection Details for 3,4 & 5 above
If you are missing structural detail items what does the building inspector check
read their disclaimer.
OT, Builders don't like paying for the full engineering services..so it's not always offered during site inspections..
IMO, legislation should make it mandatory.

Cheers
Chris

The building industry in this country sometimes is just a joke with black citizen tradies and builders only cares about money when they should pay attention to these things, our one is decent quality compared to most of the build I've seen but still lots of little hidden problems like this.
Initially I was a bit worried about slab heave as that side has a bit of water problem during construction. Luckily our slab has concrete piers surrounded the whole slab and was poured together. It would be a lot worse like other heave thread if not.
I'll update this thread after a few month just to help people with similar problems.
StructuralBIMGuy

Chris

Taking photos of everything is very, very wise.
Related
16/04/2024
Brick work cracks

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

could be the footing or being hard up against the other wall with no expansion joint or both. You could try again with brick mesh and use some sticky back foam against the…

18/01/2024
Brick wall small step cracks

General Discussion

Do I need to concern about this pattern of crack? Is this crack showing some signs of bigger problems? Thanks for any suggestions!

30/05/2023
Rendered cladding walls cracks

General Discussion

The spacing of the studs looks pretty large especially for a load bearing wall.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum