Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Build progress during COVID

Page 1 of 1
We were about to start our build

Waiting for the final building rules consent. The loan has been approved

We were supposed to go to site within 4 weeks but I am concerned that the everything is now going to be delayed. The builder has sent a generic email to say that the supply chain remains strong and don't anticipate any significant delays.

What has been the experience among others in this forum
We're at the tail end of our build, and everything is going as expected.

But given how fast everything is moving at the moment, anyone's experience to date is not worth anything. It could all change tomorrow.
Hi mate,

We're currently almost at enclosure stage and have not experience any delays due to the COVID-19. However, as dga mentioned, this could change at any time and the current situation is unprecedented.
Personally I don't think its a good time to Start the build as you might get stuck with delays and even Builder Bankruptcies ( lets hope not)
Check your builders indemnity insurance policy to see if you are cover for the pandemic.
On the other hand It's definitively the right time to fast track Planing and Development Applications (DA) when this is over you want to take advantage of the low build Rate$ and competitive tendering.

Cheers
Chris
Thanks
I am not in a position to negotiate price etc
I am happy to proceed financially as I am keen to get out of the rental market and into a family home for the distant future if we get out of the pandemic unscathed
I work for a builder in Perth and its business as usual, in saying that the majority of office staff are working from home and onsite we have pretty stringent rules in place, HIA and MBA have been on the front door with this, we have also had some online training through the WA health department.

What does get my back up is there is 2 price rises coming (James Hardie & Colorbond with Colorbond being 4.5%) the indication is that these are still going to go ahead which just baffles me.

We have just gone to Site with piers.

Builder is optimistic but said that anything could happen to the supply chain.

Builder did say that it's the tradies that may cause the delays if they are voluntarily entering self isolation which is their right. He is not forcing them to work as they are sub contractors.

If that happens, he will scramble to find other subbies, but if he can't then that is a potential delay in itself.
We are at fitout. So far C19 has not affected the build, but potentially will in the coming weeks as the number or tradies on site will have to be restricted.
Thanks all for sharing
We are three weeks From Pci and our builder has said until they are told they can't work they'll be working. They also said construction materials can be delivered even if they're over a closed border so you don't need to worry about that. Good luck to you. Are you going to start a built thread?
Thanks
Will start a thread when we break ground
BROKEANDEXCITED
Thanks
Will start a thread when we break ground

Fantastic will love to follow along
HI

I am in the same position and probably a few weeks off starting. We did get word from the builder highlighting the 'act of god' clause in our contract, because the build might be pushed out longer for obvious reasons. They did say they were BAU so far.

Col
Our build finalised last week and we got our keys. I actually received a thing from a friend saying all building that has commenced can continue with social distancing in Place. So fingers crossed for everyone
Related
22/09/2023
Progress Payments - Flood rebuild

General Discussion

haha a draw? didnt realise we were battling!

20/06/2023
What's unreasonable to check during a final inspection ?

Building A New House

i would suggest nothing is unreasonable for PCI. we did all sorts, including checking the hot water, checking all the GPO's had power, testing that the showers were…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum