Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Who to Build With?

Page 1 of 1
My partner and I are looking to build in the Armstrong Creek Area.

Budget will be around 500k. We're interested in Eight Homes, Homebuyers Centre and Eight Homes so far. All these builders have floorplans that match what we're after. The problem is knowing who's actually good. We've seen and heard enough bad things about Metricon to rule them out completely and aren't too keen on the structure reputation of Simonds homes either.

The Eight Homes have some very spacious floorplans and their prices almost seem too good to be true, such as the s.Eight, 4 bedroom, theater, rumpus room with walk in panty and spacious ensuite for 495k in a House and Land package and the slightly smaller versions for around 460k. Boutique was our favourite display home and seems to have a good reputation, we like the idea of the Brooklyn 26 which is also available for 485k. Homebuyers seem great too and well priced, but we find their homes a little basic and plain based off the display homes we have seen. However we can probably get a well upgraded mid range Homebuyers home below this budget, as opposed to a standard Boutique home/somewhat upgraded Eight home so we won't rule them out.

Does anyone have any experience with Eight Homes/Homebuyers/Boutique and would you recommend them? Or are there other good big builders that we haven't heard of (we certainly haven't heard of them all)? What are going to be some of the best options in this price range? Do these builders care about the structure or are they cutting costs somewhere etc.?

Also, any photos are very welcome!

Thanks
Are the house and land packages including the same extra's you are viewing in the display homes?

You might find the level of inclusions vary greatly and the "little things" you don't think of can quickly increase costs on the homes where they are not included as standard.
CJA
Are the house and land packages including the same extra's you are viewing in the display homes?

You might find the level of inclusions vary greatly and the "little things" you don't think of can quickly increase costs on the homes where they are not included as standard.

I'm aware that the display homes are beefed up a lot.

I've compared what comes standard and Boutique have some very good standard features, Eight Homes would definitely require some money spent on upgrades as they are quite minimal as standard and homebuyers are a little plain, even with upgrades.

I'm more concerned about the build quality of the companies I have listed and what's actually good etc. and trying to work out who we should go with. If I was going to choose from these 3, it would be standard Boutique vs. Upgraded Homebuyers or Eight Homes. As an entry level Boutique will cost near full budget as opposed to a mid range Homebuyers/Eight Homes leaving room for upgrades.

The biggest concern is the build quality and which companies actually care vs. the ones that take short cuts. For example, I know a tiler who used to subcontract through Metricon, until they stopped using him and went with someone cheaper which has now resulted in people's tiles lifting etc.

What I'm wanting to know are the best options, who actually does a good job and who to steer clear of etc. from people who have had personal experience building with these brands. I've used the search function and the threads on Boutique and Homebuyers started back at the start of the decade and probably isn't valid now, and there's not a whole lot of info on Eight Homes, just very mixed reviews.
We are building with Eight homes, 42squ. just cut the site, we spent $74K over the list price however around 30k of that was site costs, including 14k site, 6k location surcharge, 3.5K council, permit, oh&s, 5k bushfire rating, sarking, etc.
We also changed our 5 bedroom house (2 master suites) into a 7 bedroom + study and added an alfresco, we upgraded floor 2k, got the upgrades pack 11k, added about 50 powerpoints and lights, fully upgraded kitchen, ensuite, added 3 slide doors and 4windows and evap at 4k.
Got everything we wanted for extra 40k as we should get 3-4k provisional back

So far been impressed, my wife’s cousin built a single with them and it was built extremely well however there were people will issues, Facebook have a Eight Homes Builders Group who highlight good and bad, you have to apply to join as Eight Home staff apparently nose around there. I will be getting independent inspections

Typical contract signing, rush you, pressure you, stick to your guns (especially now) and negotiate as you Are in a good posi with 23% build reduction due to Covid19.

1 thing l wish l knew before, you are liable foran Asset Protection Permit, which is 1500 upfront and if no damage you get 1200 back at end of build, we didn’t need an Infastructure levy, which l believe most areas require at around 1200 upfront, so have around 3k handy.

Hope this helps
Hi we are considering d8 home. We went thru boutique n henley but like the d8 layout. Pls inform about your build quality experience with them. Thanks
Related
21/02/2024
Fixed Price build Contract Vs Project management build

Building A New House

Thank you so much everyone. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess when you talk to a builder who butters up everything to look very polished, you get to start believing…

25/05/2023
Knockdown build in Heidelberg area - recommendations please

Building A New House

Hi We have finally decided to complete a KDR on our corner plot in NE Melbourne suburbs. Given its a corner plot approx. 400 sqm just a standard design may not fit the…

17/06/2023
Aggregate vs Pavers around a new build

Building A New House

Thanks chippy, Budapest for your responses. We've gone with aggregate > I totally know what you mean about the ants here in Perth, they are a pain.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum