Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Do I have a leg to stand on?

Page 1 of 1
We've just made the final payment on our house and have our keys. We were walking through when we realised that some of the electrical work we'd paid for hasn't been installed (for example we got normal lights and switches instead of the upgraded ones we've paid for).

We got in touch with the builder and told them, and said that we'd like a refund. They are however refusing and are insisting on sending someone out to rectify the issue.

We've had multiple delays getting our keys and don't want yet another one, and we also feel like the advice we were given regarding the upgrades was incorrect in the first place as the basic fittings we have are perfectly fine.

Do we have a legal leg to stand on to refuse the rectification, and insist on a refund of the difference in cost of the products installed from what we paid for the upgrades?
If theyre sending someone out to fix the problem and give you what was in the contract, I don't see what the problem is?
They are obliged to supply as per the contract.

You can submit a request for a refund of the difference in costs, but they are not obliged to agree
Just wondering, did you not check these things during the construction? During PCI?
Steve4216
If theyre sending someone out to fix the problem and give you what was in the contract, I don't see what the problem is?

My issue is that their initial stipulation that we needed to upgrade and pay extra was misleading. We're happy with the normal fittings we got, but they told us we didn't have a choice and had to pay extra for the upgrade as the basic ones wouldn't work in our house layout. It was a total lie and I would have never spent the money on the upgrade if I'd have known. I'd have never realised that I'd been ripped off if they hadn't mistakenly put in the basic fittings instead of the upgrade
CF Design

You can submit a request for a refund of the difference in costs, but they are not obliged to agree

So what happens if I flat out refuse to let them do the work? I have the keys. They can't legally enter and do work without my permission anymore.
ASJ1981
Just wondering, did you not check these things during the construction? During PCI?

Funnily enough we didn't notice. And neither did our independent inspector.
BanditWandit
CF Design

So what happens if I flat out refuse to let them do the work? I have the keys. They can't legally enter and do work without my permission anymore.

i would just keep the money, if you didn't want the work done
you have changed your mind, after seeing the original lighting
now you are trying to undo your mistake
banditwandit how much is the refund you are claiming and what reasons were provided at selection as to why the basic fittings would not work. If the builder has intentionally misled you it’s reasonable to to expect the difference to be refunded’ despite your lack of diligence in checking.if deliberately misleading customers to extract more money is this builders normal practice others including the appropriate authorities should be made aware of this
BanditWandit
CF Design

Under your contract, you have an obligation to allow them access to complete the work as per the contract.

If you don't allow them in, you're bin breach of contract and forfeit any "compensation" and open yourself to liability.

That's what happens
Agreed, however the builder also has a legal obligation not to deliberately mislead. If they have done this to banditwandit it's likely to others as well. Such practices should be called out. I suggest giving the builder the opportunity to do the right thing. If they don't then take the appropriate action via social media or the regulatory authority. The HIA contract should not support misrepresentations at the time of sale.
Related
5/12/2023
Hi, I'm looking for a structural solution to stand alone pic

General Discussion

Sorry! I'm new to this forum and have made a mistake in my posting! I'm looking for a structural solution to a stand alone wooden pickets fence with no structural rail…

12/11/2023
3m ceilings - how high would you have your kitchen cabinets?

Kitchen Corner

Thanks mate. Yeah good points! Leaning towards Option 3 to get a bit extra space in the cabinets but not going too crazy high (and expensive). Would require a mini…

14/03/2024
Contract Works Insurance - Why your builder should have it

Building A New House

Hi All, I just wanted to close this topic out with an update. So we ended up agreeing to a number with the insurance company, and after an extensive amount of hand…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum