Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

First Build - need feedback on our floor plan

Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

We would like to build a 4 bedroom townhouse at the back of our existing property in Melbourne.

The property is facing West.

The land for the back townhouse is appx 15m wide - 16.5m long

On the ground floor, my concern is the kitchen will be dark as there is no window to get natural light for kitchen. I am thinking of moving the kitchen and meal to the north and move the bedroom to the kitchen space.

Can you please give me your opinion of this floor plan?

Cool plans. I am not aware of your location light or views etc and am not an expert. However, will offer my 2 cents. The Kitchen is an important room that is often used, is a selling point, and usually becomes a hub, so yes I agree with your concern about no natural light and no window. Bedrooms are not as important as they are for sleep, and not for spending daytime in, but you still need some morning light in the bedroom to wake you and set your body clock. But saying this also be careful with visitors at the front door entering the house, so they are not looking straight into the kitchen and seeing the washing up. The kitchen should also be close to the meal rooms, so that is another consideration.
Also in laundry the door appears to open past the washer; might be a problem if you ever have a front loader. 2 doors to the master ensuite seems unnecessary to me but you may have a reason. Hope this helps, its only my opinion, but it is usually good to get constructive feedback from others so that you can decide and do what you actually want.
I think the change you've suggested, or perhaps swapping the kitchen with the living area?

I think overall it's a good basic layout, you can definitely make it work for you.
Which way is North on the drawing?

Your meals area in this plan is too small, considering it is also a thoroughfare. You will struggle to walk past the table and chairs. I think your ground floor could also be reconfigured to give the laundry a window or outdoor access.

thank you all for your input. After consideration, here is our amended floor plan for our unit at the back

I am ok with this plan. However, i still want to make some changes:

1. add a sliding door to the living area
2. the WIP is 1.2m* 4m, i am thinking of add another small kitchen sink in there and remove wall between kitchen and WIP.

Appreciate if you could give me feedback on this plan?

This looks much better! The area near the entry and Bed 1 is a little awkward, I would suggest reconfiguring the space as shown.

1.2m is very narrow for a walk in pantry of that length. You will find it difficult to fit a fridge in and to open the fridge door. It might be better if you split the room into a pantry and walk in linen with the fridge opening onto the kitchen. Or just open it up like you mentioned.

Related
7/10/2023
Floor plan feedback

Building A New House

Hi there! Absolutely agree on the wasted space. We have no desire for the master to be that oversized, but it occurred when we increased the depth of the garage. We have…

25/05/2023
Floor plan review

Building A New House

i thought the flipped plan initially but bec i want narrow pathway from entry to dining (dont like bend), also cannot fit the…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum