Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building a custom designed home

Page 1 of 1
Hey All,
we purchased a block of land near city which needs a custom design. we approached a few architects, but the price was too high for us ( around 50 k)
Can anyone recommend a good designer with reasonable price? Also, can anyone recommend a good builder? I came across G.J. Gardener Milton office, but have no idea if they are good or not. appreciate your recommendation.
Probably need to give more information such as what state and preferable area you are in..
I am in Brisbane QLD and we purchased a block in Bardon
Design prices are usually based on the contract price and charged at a % depending on the content you require.

Custom homes don't come cheap.

Look up the BDAA (Building Design Association Australia) to find members in your area

and Good Luck
I would get a project builder and find a good starting point plan and most if not all will modify to suit your block. There are thousands of designs out there with the project builders. If after all that if there isnt something to suit you will start to get an idea of what you require and sit down with a drafts person and come up with a plan. Architects are always going to be expensive, look at their overheads and they want to manage the build.
Brett0004
I would get a project builder and find a good starting point plan and most if not all will modify to suit your block. There are thousands of designs out there with the project builders. If after all that if there isnt something to suit you will start to get an idea of what you require and sit down with a drafts person and come up with a plan. Architects are always going to be expensive, look at their overheads and they want to manage the build.

I think this is the way to go, unless you have a lot of excess ash to throw about,

Maybe research your preferred project builder and approach them with what you're after?
if you list your block measurements
orientation
where driveway is located
close to intersection etc
how many bedroom, bathroom etc you require
somebody might know a plan that would suit
Hi, we built our house with GJ Gardner Ballarat in 2012...loved the design, price and final product. We now and then look through new display homes and still can't find a house that we like better than ours
We did a custom design, was roughly based on another floorplan from another project builder. I had a list of wants/needs and went from there. The floorplan we ended up with is perfect for us
Hi Steve, I have a contact to recommend if you are interested, please pm me cheers
Related
27/09/2023
Custom home builder in north east Melbourne

Building A New House

Hi, can anyone recommend a custom home builder who can build in north east area? Looking to build a custom 4-br energy-efficient home with a max budget of 750k. If they…

1/01/2024
Custom Home Design - Suggestions and Recommendation

Building A New House

ideal house depends on the site and location as much as internal floor plan....what is the distance from the house to all four boundaries, where is north, describe your…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum