Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Suggestions/Feedback - PD Vancouver 29 vs Boutique Riva 29

Page 1 of 1
Hello everyone,

We are getting close to our land getting titled so after looking at many floor plans, we have kind of short listed the Vancouver 29 by Porter Davis and Riva 29 by Boutique Homes for our 14x32 lot.

Pretty confused at this stage which one to go for so just wanted to take what everyone else thinks about these 2 floor plans? Pros and cons you could think of which may help us in making the decision?

Furthermore, has anyone built any of these 2 floor plans? If yes, what's your feedback on these? Should we pick a specific builder rather than a floor plan?

Open to all suggestions and advice
Thank you.

RIVA 29:
------------

VANCOUVER 29:
-----------------------

Morning-what orientation is the block of land?
Think thru the problem... builders don't want you to be able to compare floor plans?
If you have a complex problem, Comparing similar plans ( as above) involving, Sizes, value for money, cost of build components,etc you need to simplify the equations.. in order to solve it.
150 x S + 80 x EW + 60 x I W +180x R +15 x C = $250,000..... Equation 1. Equation 2 up to 5?
Stage 1. Try measuring each slab S (m2), external walls EW (m), Internal walls IW (m), Roof R (m), Cabinets C (m) ,etc etc and compare in a spreadsheet. ie Plan 1. has more EW than Plan 2
Stage 2. approximate Matrix Solvers ( 5x5)
Stage 3. Apply the variables to your optimised design

Stage 1. for mathematically challenged
Stage 2. Google sheets
Stage 3. Mathlab
Cheers
Chris
Neither of them are great designs, but the bottom one (Vancouver) is terrible.

Bathroom with no window and living areas that are disproportionately sized and difficult to furnish.

It seems you're looking for a home with rear main living areas. When choosing a home like this keep in mind how long and windy the entry hallway feels, as well as the distance you'll need to travel when bringing shopping in from the garage. I would advise you to keep looking.

I’m sure you’ve totally done this, but I would think about how you live and how you want to live and go with a design that matches that vision. Alternatively, think through your typical day, from the minute you wake up to the minute you go to sleep and ‘walk through’ the plan.

For instance, in that second one, I would really get very tired, very quickly of having to walk all the way around through the study to reach my kids bedroom. You may prefer a great distance from them! I think lounges are entirely a waste of space - you may formally entertain every night of the week.

In addition, people often talk about ‘resale’. If you’re not going to die in your house (as I plan to) then you should put more attention into what might be attractive to others.

I agree with the previous poster though, that Vancouver looks not good!
Thank you everyone for your input. This is exactly what I was looking for...

Yes, it's correct we're looking for a plan with rear living area looking towards the back yard.

Plus, wife wants the kitchen to be on the external wall and should be able to have a butler's pantry.

Another preference is to have living and dining in L shape rather than being in a straight line.

Hence we came up with these two. Agreed that Vancouver feels more like a maze compared to Riva 29 which kind of looks a bit straight forward.

Any recommendations on the floor plans to look at? Really appreciate all the feedback. Like we never realised that Vancouver's bathroom is in the middle and cannot have a window until it's pointed out.
alymei
Morning-what orientation is the block of land?

this is kind of how it looks like

Related
28/06/2023
Boutique Homes

General Discussion

Thanks for the insight.

15/09/2023
Sydney - Inner Suburbs - Boutique Builder Costs

Building A New House

Hi Simeon, PM'ed you the other day. Still waiting >

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House