Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Laminate Flooring - New Build

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

We are currently building with Simonds and have decided to complete the flooring after handover due to saving a few thousand and better options.

I am trying to figure out the best process for this and was looking for some assistance with the following.

- laminate around island benches and cabinetry, how is this completed without using a quad as we find them quite ugly. Some of our benches do not have kick boards so this is why I’m struggling.

- Simonds will not tac on the skirts, only option is to leave them off and un-painted or removed after handover, has anyone done this and if so, any issues?

- due to the laminate being 8mm we are considering raising the skirts in the rooms with carpet by 8mm so there isn’t a different level of skirt from carpet to laminate, thoughts on this and has anyone done this?

These questions have probably been asked a million times but I’m struggling To find answers to these specific questions.

Appreciate any help, thanks
Agree, scotia (quad) isn’t a good look.

To my knowledge the only way to avoid scotia is to do skirtings after. Raising skirts 8mm will never be precise and if you do it that way with a plan to tuck floorboards under the skirt you’ll
End up with gaps or worst they won’t fit under. Raising skirts to tuck under only works well with carpet as it’s more forgiving.

Related
25/11/2023
Laminate flooring and curved brick hearth

Flooring & Floor Covering

Just about completed a renovation project and hit a small issue that we didn’t see We have laminate floors now where we had tiles before (turned out it was actually 2…

10/09/2023
Hollow sounding new Hybrid flooring.

Renovation + Home Improvement

ShaneG We have been doing heaps of hybrid floors lately. The hollowness is caused by low spots in the slab or subfloor. No slab or particleboard floor is going to be…

25/07/2023
Peeling plastic laminate - advice on removal?

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

At a bit of a loss on this one - we're thinking the original owners never removed the protective laminate covers from their kitchen cabinets after installation and in the…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum