Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Rangehood ducts and vents

Page 1 of 1
Hello all;

We have installed a Rangehood that is externally vented and connected to the roof. I've not been able to get into the roof and check the vents, but the builder advised that they are all done perfectly. We are noticing that the range hood is not effectively absorbing all the air while using the stove. Not sure if this is an issue with Technika CHEM52C9S 900mm (Std) or venting or duct (pic attached). I appreciate any suggestions.

edit: the size of the duct is about 100mm

Cheers
That looks like a waste water vent pipe. check your eaves to see if you have a vent there, or, the rangehood could be ducted into the roof space? Only way to really know is to have a look in the roof.
Yep that's a "stink pipe" or sewerage vent pipe.
The rangehood vent will be a large 100mm roof cowl.

The problem is more likely to be the actual rangehood.
Unfortunately to get adequate extraction levels you need to spend a bit of money.
And if you want adequate extraction and quiet you need to spend even more money, typically on an external motor rangehood.
Well I paid extra $600 for externally vented rangehood to Simonds Home, who is my builder. This is what we got.
Also this is easily catch for the building inspector who missed another thing.
brightstarshine
Well I paid extra $600 for externally vented rangehood to Simonds Home, who is my builder. This is what we got.
Also this is easily catch for the building inspector who missed another thing.

What you should have is something like this:

The rangehood ducting should be attached.
You should also have those for the bathroom exhaust fans.
brightstarshine
Hello all;

We have installed a Rangehood that is externally vented and connected to the roof. I've not been able to get into the roof and check the vents, but the builder advised that they are all done perfectly. We are noticing that the range hood is not effectively absorbing all the air while using the stove. Not sure if this is an issue with Technika CHEM52C9S 900mm (Std) or venting or duct (pic attached). I appreciate any suggestions.

edit: the size of the duct is about 100mm

Cheers

Is that rust in around the pipe that I see? I'm not even sure why that has been installed, and what this has been connected to.

Its unfortunate my builder is not even bothered to respond, since the SS who did this lousy job is gone on a long vacation and the new SS does not know anything what the old SS has done.
More likely just dirt in the silicon they've used to seal between that outlet and the colorbond.

I recently priced getting proper roof outlets connected up to a couple of bathroom exhaust fans that were just exhausting into the roofspace. It's certainly not an expensive job. Roof plumber will do it for a couple of hundred.

If that is indeed what your builder has installed as a rangehood exhaust I'd hate to think what shortcuts they've taken elsewhere.
Related
25/03/2024
Metricon stylish aircon vents

Building A New House

retail its around double the price of a similar sized actron/dakin system from memory, They are excellent systems though. But with how builder gouge on AC/heating, you…

11/03/2024
Renovation - swapping kitchen and bathroom and other fix ups

Renovation + Home Improvement

I recently went through a similar renovation and move scenario when updating our family home. We also swapped some rooms around and tackled a major…

7/05/2023
Builder not giving letter of commencement and practical comp

Building A New House

The HIA contract, in the term & conditions section states that "Commencment" is deemed when the drainage is started or the piers are dug or the slab is formed up (incase…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum