Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Roof - colour bond Vs Tiles?

Page 1 of 3
I am going to build my first home and selected SJD Homes and are at the pre-contract stage.

Can someone highlight the pros & cons of Colour Bond Vs Roof tiles? Short & Long Term?
Not a expert but have had both ,roof tiles once,colourbond twice, had much greater maintenance issues with tiles and they are quite easy to lift off your roof but are very quite and considerably heavier than colour bond,
Colourbond is lighter and in both homes never had a single maintenance issue,if you choose a darkish colourbond it will soak in much more heat than a beige colour bond roof,I have a anticon blanket under roof which makes colourbond very quite, personally I prefer colourbond especially as you get mortar issues with poor mixing .
and i am the opposite
after having both, would never do colorbond again
any protusions through the roof can leak with colorbond as the flange basically sticks on the top
where as tiles it slides under the overlapping tile
colorbond is noisier in heavy rain and hail
so one vote for and one against
Thanks for very useful info. Look forward to hearing few more opinions.
Hi everyone, it's my first post here and hopefully, I can add to this forum.

I wouldn't go Tiles, I've seen too many cracked tiles by trades that don't leak until it rains. Big hail storm and then you wish you went colorbond. Also, can you imagine how much weight is sitting on your roof with tiles, I've seen houses bend under that.
On the other side, they are quieter in the rain.
Another one for tiles here. The colourbond roofs I have experienced have always made a heck of a lot of noise in heavy rain and especially hail as mentioned earlier by another poster. I've never experienced hail strong enough to crack modern concrete tiles but I have the older style (still currently made of course) terracotta ones. But of course if a tile is damaged it can just be individually replaced. Colourbond is more difficult I believe to replace a small damaged section (and yes, they can still get damaged).

If you go for tile just make sure the builder leaves you spare tiles just in case. All in all though I am not sure it is such a big deal and you can overthink. Most people who end up with colourbond roofing tend not to be sensitive to the noise, so if you are not that way inclined and do not think the noise will be a concern, then go for colourbond.
Mr. Sausage
Another one for tiles here. The colourbond roofs I have experienced have always made a heck of a lot of noise in heavy rain and especially hail as mentioned earlier by another poster. I've never experienced hail strong enough to crack modern concrete tiles but I have the older style (still currently made of course) terracotta ones. But of course if a tile is damaged it can just be individually replaced. Colourbond is more difficult I believe to replace a small damaged section (and yes, they can still get damaged).

If you go for tile just make sure the builder leaves you spare tiles just in case. All in all though I am not sure it is such a big deal and you can overthink. Most people who end up with colourbond roofing tend not to be sensitive to the noise, so if you are not that way inclined and do not think the noise will be a concern, then go for colourbond.
My colourbond is unbelievably quiet,as hate noisy colourbond,you can easily make it quite .

Joker
Mr. Sausage

My colourbond is unbelievably quiet,as hate noisy colourbond,you can easily make it quite .

What did you do to make it quiet?
murtaza.sh
Joker
Mr. Sausage

What did you do to make it quiet?

Good anti-con insulation will quiet it down.
Funny. I love the sound of rain on colourbond. Very comforting to fall to sleep to.

I’d go colourbond. After having tiles on our new house, constant leaks, rattles and house movement; and the colourbond option was the same price. The difference in weight too is staggering, and may have added to the issues of house movement and cracking.
KamadoJusto
Funny. I love the sound of rain on colourbond. Very comforting to fall to sleep to.

Our thoughts too. With ceiling insulation it’s not like it’s a thunderous noise, it’s a beautiful sound and especially after a long dry period. Tiles are pretty much a relic from the past that some people just can’t let go of imo.
Depends on the tile for me. Lots of tiles from builders are the cheapest or nastiest product. Easy to crack or discolour.

Also, mostly depend on your own preference. Both have different finished look and have their own pros and cons.
Yeah im in the colourbond camp too.
Love the sound of the rain on the roof and it would only very rarely (I'm talking like twice in the 5 years weve been in this house) be loud enough to not be able to hear the TV etc. Looks so much nicer as well.

Lived in lots of houses over the years but only one had a tiled roof and it was strange not being able to hear that rain,
Thanks everyone for very useful information and comparison between Tiles and colourbond.

1. Do anyone know the difference between "Anticon blanket" and "Air-cell glareshield XL roof sarking" ? are they for the same purpose?

2. Do we still need these if we go for tiles for the roof?
1. Anticon blanket would have a higher insulation value than Air-cell glareshield. So the anticon blanket will help with regulating the temperature of your house, while also dampening the noise of rain on the colorbond. I upgraded to anticon as part of our build.

2. You generally shouldn't need either for a tiled roof, but personally I would recommend that you put in sarking if you are tiling.
I have had both as well and am currently starting another build with light coloured colourbond and full anticon insulation. To be honest our last house had 15 year old Monier low profile concrete tiles and I was nearly at the stage where I was going to order a skip bin and fill it up with the tiles. They were absolute rubbish. It was a full time job repairing the ceilings from the leaks. There is no way you could walk on them without cracking the tile and I think at times they would just crack for the hell of it. If you must go tile (And I dont know why anyone with an option would even consider them) then go a good quality clay tile and make sure you add sarking to help with the leaks so that the water at least runs to the suffit. Oh and add a storage room so you can stock up on spare tiles.
Our current house has a zincalume roof, we've been in this house for 22 years and it's still as good as new, the only maintenance we've done is had to knock a couple of nails back down every few years. Never had a leak. Our new build was always going to be colourbond. Love the sound of rain on the roof, it's certainly not deafening where haven't been able to hear the TV. One thing I'm doing with new build is to have all venting to outside instead of in the roof space.
Brett0004
I have had both as well and am currently starting another build with light coloured colourbond and full anticon insulation. To be honest our last house had 15 year old Monier low profile concrete tiles and I was nearly at the stage where I was going to order a skip bin and fill it up with the tiles. They were absolute rubbish. It was a full time job repairing the ceilings from the leaks. There is no way you could walk on them without cracking the tile and I think at times they would just crack for the hell of it. If you must go tile (And I dont know why anyone with an option would even consider them) then go a good quality clay tile and make sure you add sarking to help with the leaks so that the water at least runs to the suffit. Oh and add a storage room so you can stock up on spare tiles.
Right on,have only had leak problems with tiles.

We are starting our first build very soon. I wanted to go colorbond, but the partner wanted tiles and so we compromised and decided on tiles. But after reading this idk if i actually want to go tiles now. I didnt realise tile cracking and the risk of leaking ceilings (and the subsequent repair of said ceilings) was so common.

i'm really confused now :S
Related
2/01/2024
Concrete roof tiles - is this normal?

General Discussion

Do you have solar on the roof, because if its not a laying defect it looks almost like someone has been walking all over the roof in the mid section of the tile (weakest…

24/02/2024
Surfmist tiled roof - unsure about gutter colour

General Discussion

Thank you so much. We ended going with the terrain that’s part of our brick.

10/05/2023
Converting a Gable Roof

Renovation + Home Improvement

You could frame it out and put a skillion roof on it.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum