Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Clarendon Boston 34 design considerations

Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

Looking at some guidance regarding layout and orientation of my new build.

I have read a number of articles however it seems the more I research the more confused I become. It’s my first build.

Below is a proposed layout. I have not yet signed a tender. I have crudely marked Magnetic North in blue. Basically rear faces East and Front West if I understand Solar/True North.

I am looking for input, I have some concerns have the main bedroom facing West. I have the option to move main bedroom to rear of house but it has a knock on effect to rest of layout which I am trying to avoid.

Should I be overly concerned with main bedroom facing west? I have read I can add double glazed windows, facade with balcony and larger eves etc

Also curious if I will have enough natural light throughout the house.

I plan to discuss with Clarendon however wish to be armed with some information prior.

Anything else that I should be concerned about

Land is in Elara, Marsden Park.

Our bedroom faces south-east and can be quite warm in the morning during Summer. I am not sure how much time you spend in your bedroom in the afternoon, but it would definitely be cooler in the morning with it facing West.
I wouldn't have any concerns at all. You spend most of your time in the living areas anyway.
You could mirror the plan so that the guest room and theatre can have windows facing North. You could then add an extra North facing window to your master bedroom as well.

A West facing bed room will get hot, but like you said you can add a balcony, e- glass and curtains to mitigate. Catching sunset views from a master bedroom can be quite nice.

Thanks. Starting to feel a bit more confident I can mitigate issues.

Unfortunately I cannot mirror the plan, need to have driveway to left due to stormwater drain.
Dmcintyre85
Hi All,

Looking at some guidance regarding layout and orientation of my new build.

I have read a number of articles however it seems the more I research the more confused I become. It’s my first build.

Below is a proposed layout. I have not yet signed a tender. I have crudely marked Magnetic North in blue. Basically rear faces East and Front West if I understand Solar/True North.

I am looking for input, I have some concerns have the main bedroom facing West. I have the option to move main bedroom to rear of house but it has a knock on effect to rest of layout which I am trying to avoid.

Should I be overly concerned with main bedroom facing west? I have read I can add double glazed windows, facade with balcony and larger eves etc

Also curious if I will have enough natural light throughout the house.

I plan to discuss with Clarendon however wish to be armed with some information prior.

Anything else that I should be concerned about

Land is in Elara, Marsden Park.

You should be overly concerned that the main bedroom is West facing, its the worse possible way to face a bedroom. Anyone giving advice otherwise has no idea, seriously, who wants to go to bed after the West setting sun has heated your room to 30 degrees plus? Yes you can run air conditioning but it will be going pretty hard every summers evening. As for adding extra north windows to a bedroom, wow, just wow. Sorry but if you can’t flip that design it’s not suited to that block. Ridiculous that developers and councils can create a situation where they force someone to have their garage on the North side of their block due to poor planning. Idiots.
amilelka
You could mirror the plan so that the guest room and theatre can have windows facing North. You could then add an extra North facing window to your master bedroom as well.

A West facing bed room will get hot, but like you said you can add a balcony, e- glass and curtains to mitigate. Catching sunset views from a master bedroom can be quite nice.

When you’re constrained in having a relatively small block of land, and if this is the house design you really like, then I agree with these comments of mitigating the summer heat as best you can by using low e-glass and perhaps extending the eaves.

Build your house, live in it for a summer and if the heat is a problem, fit an external roller shutter.

Best of luck with your build.
Thanks for all the suggestions and comments.

I’m fairness I knew the limitation of the block when purchasing and I would be unable to mirror designs.

I’ll discuss my concerns with the builder and see what changes can be made.
Related
1/10/2023
Clarendon Boston or Saratoga

General Discussion

the stair balustrades? There is nothing special about these and I imagine literally every stair installer will be able to do this.

2/08/2023
Pre-build landscaping considerations

Landscape & Garden Design

Ideally you would engage a landscaper to give you some insight what they may need in the space to make your vision come to life…

22/12/2023
Clarendon Eaves and Guttering Issue

General Discussion

The two 15mm holes are obviously not compliant. The Dept of Fair Trading would love to see this one! Do the gutters pool water after it stops raining? Although it's…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum