Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Rawson homes

Page 1 of 1
Hi guys,

Im considering going with Rawson Homes, have had soil tests, site survey and are about to get a quote back.

Whats people's experiences with additional costs being added later on? I'm concerned that although I've picked a number of "Luxury" and "Presitgie" packages - that I'll have to spend even more through their colour studio. Any advice welcome!
It’s inevitable to want things like 150 downlights, add gas point for bbq, add water point for fridge, floor to ceiling tiling, nicer fittings and fancier kitchens.... But everyone's different.
You can hold back and accept the perfectly fine things in the inclusion packages and have a very nice and modern home.
Just unsubscribe from the champagne budget and you will be fine.

1) accept the appliances and included laminate /stone choices for the kitchen $0
2) accept the standard light points etc
3) you get the picture.

The Rawson inclusions are perfectly fine for 50% of people.

Cheers for your reply!
The champagne budget is something I have heard a bit from my other half...
Do you think the inclusions within some of the packages are better than others? or are there any packages you regret getting/wish you had?

Any recommendations for allowances that we should account for prior to singing?

Also have you had many problems with your build/would you build with Rawson's again?

Thanks!
Josh22
Cheers for your reply!
The champagne budget is something I have heard a bit from my other half...
Do you think the inclusions within some of the packages are better than others? or are there any packages you regret getting/wish you had?

Any recommendations for allowances that we should account for prior to singing?

Also have you had many problems with your build/would you build with Rawson's again?

Thanks!

The lux package is good value. Skip the solar packages. Electrical can be reasonable with moderate add-ons to ground floor as these can be tricky due to flooring above.
I'd keep about 8-9k free to spend on tiles, bathroom fittings and electrical. Try and get the staircase upgrades based on display homes - mine cost about 7k above standard for timber stain tread and stained ballusters. I think you can get better value based on the display list.

I would build again with them as several issues post build (squeaking floors and minor roof leaks) have been fixed without too much fuss. I have had great support from the maintenance team over the last 2.5 years. Feel free to PM me if you need to chat in detail.
I am very happy with the quality and finish. Be vigilant during the build as you would with any builder to make sure that work is acceptable.

Hey guys may I get some feedback on your construction times?

i understand there are a lot of factors (weather, region, demand, single storey double storey etc) but I know of a few builds that were 1-2 months over the contract and one other in my area (also 2 storey) that was 2 months before the end of the contract.

It'd be great to understand if your build had a delay over the xmas period, talking to one of our guys he said most trades only have 1 week off, but some have longer..

Our contract is up in March 2020, and we have to sell the house we're currently residing in so it's a bit of a tricky one knowing exactly when to list it for sale.

Our previous S/S wouldn't give us any form of indication on if we were ahead/behind of schedule he just said his job is to get the build done on time at the end of the contract. We don't wish to list our house for sale too soon then have nowhere to live for a few months (some buyers may wish to move in ASAP) or too late and have to pay two loans for a few months it'd be interesting to get some feedback on others who have been in this situation of building a new house and knowing when to list (the house we will be selling should sell quickly as its in an affordable central location great for investors or homeowners alike)
I cant help you on build times but think it's going to hard to time it perfectly. Had a similar but less dramatic juggling act when looking to rent and scheduling demo etc.

If you can manage it financially I would not sell your house too early as if Rawson go over, it will put pressure on you to accept things you might not normally accept, and you dont want to move twice etc.

Could sell and have a long settlement date with the option of handing it over sooner to the buyer if Rawson comes through?
Another option is to sell and then rent from the buyer for a few months if it goes over.
I would also consider getting advice from your real estate agent - will selling the property with your furniture, staged furniture or empty increase the sale's price. I know allot of places feel small when they have no furniture or too much clutter.

I think the idea of selling with a long settlement date is the best way to do it. Most people would be fine with a 60 day settlement - as it enables them enough breathing room to sort things out on their end too - they'll just be happy they're no longer spending every weekend attending auctions etc. Goodluck!
oops sorry to the OP for 'polluting your thread' I searched for the rawson general thread and had thought this was it!

Yeah in an ideal world a long settlement would be ideal, and negotiate with the buyer to possibly rent. I'm just concerned that they would want to move in ASAP and not provide us that luxury (plan for the worse as the old adage goes!)

On the flipside it will have to be one of those things that we'll probably just have to see what transpires and pans out!

With our existing house most of our furnishings will get replaced, and not reused. So I guess we could potentially put it on stayz etc to rent out if it was vacant otherwise if it sells and we have to find temporary accommodation that time of year we could go to a caravan park and borrow the inlaws new fancy caravan
Related
24/02/2024
Building in Vineyard with Rawson

Building A New House

Just started the Build process for Chifley 42 with Rawson homes, will keep you all posted with the Build progress.

14/06/2023
VK Platinum Homes or Laksh Homes?

Building A New House

Ask for references and speak to them. If they are defensive or try to avoid the request, walk.

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum