Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Moving in this week! What to do first when you move in???

Page 1 of 1
I’m getting keys this week and thought this would be a great thread to discuss what to do when you first get the keys.

My first question is about carpet protection! Who has done it and is it better than using 30 cans of scotch guard!

1. Concreting
2. Carpet Protection
3. Internal pest control (ie spray insect surface spray around fridge cavity)
4. External pest control (spray Coopex Insecticide Sachet pest control from Bunnings around perimeter of house to create perimeter protection from ants, roaches, silverfish, wasp nests etc)
5. Tile alfresco
6. Seal garage floor (sealant or tile)
7. Install washing line
8. Install fence
9. Lay topsoil and turf
10. Plan garden
11. Line kitchen drawers and cabinets with Drawer liners (scented ones for the wardrobe)

Feel free to add to this list!
Ensure that you are familiar with the locks, alarms, electric switchboard, taps for water supply.
Request for garbage bins and pickup calendar.
Location for nearest GP, Hospital, Pharmacy
what do you mean carpet protection? Protection from your furniture?

For me since I am a clean freak before we moved in I got my family to wipe down all the walls to remove any construction dust leftover, then I wiped down all the flooring to remove the same dust (I have no carpets). Then I tested all taps and drains to make sure they all work.
No.10 - plan garden. What? That should’ve been, at a minimum, sketched out long before the keys were handed over.
IsabellaBoots
what do you mean carpet protection? Protection from your furniture?

For me since I am a clean freak before we moved in I got my family to wipe down all the walls to remove any construction dust leftover, then I wiped down all the flooring to remove the same dust (I have no carpets). Then I tested all taps and drains to make sure they all work.

Re carpet protection, I’m thinking about stain protection using a fabric protector such as ScotchGuard.

I have 10mm underlay, so I am looking for ways to minimize carpet compression. Any tips?

gillybean
No.10 - plan garden. What? That should’ve been, at a minimum, sketched out long before the keys were handed over.

Our builder has provided a landscaping plan for submission, but as the build takes shape, and contours of the front yard are factored in with the driveway, the garden plan changes. At least for us it did.

Organise internet (if NBN hasn't been sorted, do this asap because they can be a bit tardy with their appointments to fit the connection box etc). It's arranged through your internet provider.
Research different electricity companies, because you can be sure the builder didn't do anything to get you on a good deal.
Install security screens and curtains so you can enjoy a little more peace of mind and privacy

I haven't done carpet protection and won't do it either - i've never had it previously and haven't seemed to need it!
I think it'd be cheaper to upgrade your carpet to a stain resistant one, rather then scotch guarding the whole carpet.
GLO
I’m getting keys this week and thought this would be a great thread to discuss what to do when you first get the keys.

My first question is about carpet protection! Who has done it and is it better than using 30 cans of scotch guard!

1. Concreting
2. Carpet Protection
3. Internal pest control (ie spray insect surface spray around fridge cavity)
4. External pest control (spray Coopex Insecticide Sachet pest control from Bunnings around perimeter of house to create perimeter protection from ants, roaches, silverfish, wasp nests etc)
5. Tile alfresco
6. Seal garage floor (sealant or tile)
7. Install washing line
8. Install fence
9. Lay topsoil and turf
10. Plan garden
11. Line kitchen drawers and cabinets with Drawer liners (scented ones for the wardrobe)

Feel free to add to this list!

ahem, think you forgot
Item A - celebrate.

beers or bubbles, choice is yours
The first thing you do is get the TV working.
There's nothing like sitting in your new house that first night, surrounded by boxes after a hard day of moving eating takeaway, drinking a beer and watching TV.
Maybe it's just me but it's that feeling that your in. All the hard work has finally paid off.😁
INSURANCE!!!!!!!! Unless you have it already covered in the build.
Update all your new furniture, art, appliances etc. Contents!
Related
24/08/2023
Old Covenants in NSW - Something I learnt this week

Building A New House

Hi Everyone I learned something this week that I thought would be worth sharing. In NSW a lot of developers of subdivisions put covenants on the land which normally…

24/08/2023
Can I move my home Gym workout station upstairs?

Renovation + Home Improvement

I have a home gym at home. It weights 150KG including the weight stack. I'm a big boy, around 150KG myself. I was thinking about moving it up stairs to the second…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum