Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Developer's retaining wall and New home adices

Page 1 of 1
Dear all friends, I will be starting buiding in Melbourne's Northern new estate in Donnybrook. I only noticed the area is full of underground rocks until I talked to plumbing contractors. This resulted site classification "P" with "H1" underlying site reactivity. Site cost for such site condition costs additional 15k-20k for a double story. Please consider this when signing contracts.

I need your guidance on the following:
1. The developer constructed retaining wall at the back about 1.2m high, but there was no agi pipes. The developer confirmed no agi piples will be installed. Does this comply with AS or relevant building codes? Any suggestion how should we approach this issue? (Please refer to below for a picture of retaining wall)
2.The construction will start in 1 month time. I will get an independent building inspector to inspect four stages. Do you have any other suggestion for me? I am happy to hear anything, for example: inspect the site every week to make sure no rubbish is dumped on site.
3.The backyard will be about 6m x 14m. Landscaping will be done after handover. Is there anything I should do now to make future landscaping easier?
4.The builder will concrete both sides of the house. I want to fully concrete for one side, but leave 50cm natural strip for the other side. Do you have any recommendation how side should be concreted?
5. Any other general feedback is highly appreciated.
There should be Certified Engineering Drawings for the retaining walls
I suggest you get a copy from the developer or Council
The retaining wall is incomplete
StructuralBIMGuy

Thank you !
gstfree
StructuralBIMGuy

Thank you !

Hey gstfree - which Donnybrook estate land did you purchase (Platform, Kinbrook, Peppercornhill, Donnybrae, Olivine)? Looking to also purchase in one of those 5 very soon and just now saw your post in this forum. So does that mean if buying in one of those 5 estates and want to build a single level 4-bed & 2 bath & 2 garage, we have to add another AUD$15,000 - AUD$20,000 to the land price due to the "P" "H1"?

How is your build coming along? Who did you end up hiring to do the '4 stages' of (independent) building inspections, for you? Did you use one of the below:

Peter Limburg (Final Inspect , 0408 132 152)
David White (Building Watchdog Inspections , 0418 322 925)
Darren Love (Darbecca , 03 5367 2111)
Branko Mladichek (A Plus Inspections [T/A Building Expert] , 0409 029 680)
Mike Heathcote (Building Masters Inspections , 1300 033 332)
David Seville (Seville Building Quality Inspections , 0488 993 332)
Kevin McDonald (New Home Inspections , 03 9708 2500)
Sam Mamone (Inspect Direct , 0403 207 146)
Michael White (Complete Property Inspections , 0411 487 300)
Paul (Urban Property Inspections , 1300 071 283)
Houspect (03 9808 4000)
That looks like a simple fence to me - it isn't retaining anything!

Our site has a 1.4 metre fall across 40 metres, mostly out of the build zone (to the rear of the property.
We have walls across the16.2m back fence (1 m high) and a tiered wall don our north side boundary that runs about 13 metres, and is .8 at it's highest point, down to .4. Every one of these walls has Aggie in a cok. Every wall.

I'm concerned that your wall height is higher (to potentially retain more material), yet no thought to sub drainage?
Where is the water going to collect?

I understand your concerns!
Blacktea2sugars
That looks like a simple fence to me - it isn't retaining anything!

Our site has a 1.4 metre fall across 40 metres, mostly out of the build zone (to the rear of the property.
We have walls across the16.2m back fence (1 m high) and a tiered wall don our north side boundary that runs about 13 metres, and is .8 at it's highest point, down to .4. Every one of these walls has Aggie in a cok. Every wall.

I'm concerned that your wall height is higher (to potentially retain more material), yet no thought to sub drainage?
Where is the water going to collect?

I understand your concerns!

in a SOCK that should be, a sock!
The engineering drawings should show the retaining wall design and siting from boundary and include requirements for drainage.
Since your builder installed the wall they will need to install the agi to plans So the retaining wall is fit for purpose.
Related
4/04/2024
New Home Build - Boundary Retaining Wall replacement advice

Building A New House

Can anyone recommend a good/affordable retaining wall and fence builder that I can get a quote from located in Sydney?

7/03/2024
Retaining wall to garage wall

Building A New House

Thank you again Simeon.. I will call my certifier for that. Have a good day

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum