Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Steel frame vs timber

Page 1 of 2
Hi Home Builders,

I'm split between the two: timber or steel frame. Timber with PD and Steel with JGK. Got initial quotation from both, pricing-wise there is no significant difference, but we somehow love the PD design better although the strength of steel sounds very appealing to us.

PD seems to be very quick in processing everything (even during admin stage), whilst JGK seems to be taking their time.

We've visited a few PD houses already (a few friends built with them), and they're generally happy despite some minor, mostly cosmetic defects. JGK is a bit unheard of in my circle of friends so far... and the only opinion I've heard from the sales person is that steel frame means there won't be any nail pops etc. Sounds too good to be true, but makes sense considering steel is manufactured with more precision.

Any ideas, opinions, will be much appreciated.

It's the first time building a house for me.
Lots of discussions on Timber vs steel on the forum so just do a quick search.

PD vs JGK is like voting for Labour or Liberals they are both just as bad so go with the lesser of two evils.

I haven't had a lot of dealings with PD but i almost signed with JGK.

I asked them to provide names of people who built with them around my area so i can at least talk and get some assurance of what my build will be like as their building works are based on geographical locations. ie. the team (ie. site supervisor, contractors etc etc ). I did not get a single name or location to look at....so i didn't get a very warm and fuzzy feeling and decided not to go with them.

Good luck.

smeags
I am building with JG King, see my thread for more details.

Timeframe wise.. From the day I first walked into the display village to contract signing was 6 weeks.. So by what I have read on here that seems pretty quick. My SC was Chris from Mernda Villages, he has been great so far.

As far as timeframes for building... I will have to wait and see!!!

timber vs steel, don't think it really makes much difference but JGK don't charge any extra for steel, whereas if you wanted to build steel with M it would cost you about an extra 6k. So I guess it is a good standard inclusion to have.
Brother in law built with JGK this year. Steel frame is appealing but it doesn't live up to what you would expect a steel frame to look like. I had images of solid steel beams in my head but the reality is nothing like that. Have a look at the type of steel they use before signing. I'm sure its structually fine, but you know when you have something in your head and its completely different to what your shown?

My b in law also had a number of issues with them which they still have not rectified since handover about 2 months ago. The brickwork was absolutely shocking and looked like it was completed by an apprentice. The gaps in the mortar went from a few mm to a few inches. After much to'ing and fro'ing, they agreed to render the front. My brother in law's preference was to pull it down and redo, but they flatly refused. He still has spots on the sides and rear of his house which look terrible. To top it all off, he had paid extra for the nicer bricks which were to be a feature on his house, but now has render on the front which do not match his gutters or downpipes.
Hi Mel&Em, if I may know, what was the house type your bro in law was building?
Not sure on the name, but its single story 3br.
Hello there

we are deciding between steel-framing and timber - so it is all good tohear about your experiences.

I have visited quite a few display houses - JGKings, Henley, Simonds etc etc. - want the steelframed advantages, but have to say the JGKing's workmanship did not impress me from the display houses. Henley seems quite good at presenting, there is one simonds's design we quite like, but saw the other thread about their problems with simonds, hmm.........

hard to decide!

could i please ask in_for_the_difference, did you get teh quota from JGKing's design or customised your own design?

thanks in advance

nh
nh,

We use an existing design by JGK and customise a few things. As long as no substantial amount of additional materials they don't charge extra.

So far so good - but compared to PD the process is at the speed of snail.

Good luck!
nh,

We use an existing design by JGK and customise a few things. As long as no substantial amount of additional materials they don't charge extra.

So far so good - but compared to PD the process is at the speed of snail.

Good luck!
If I had my way over again, I would do steel, for strength and to combat White ants.
Michelle
If I had my way over again, I would do steel, for strength and to combat White ants.

The white ant argument is valid - although there is still a small quantity of onsite work which will require timber, valley boards and minor bibs and bobs.

I don't think the strength argument is valid. The steel sections used in domestic construction have been optimised to with in an inch of their life so that they are specifically suited to domestic framing, there would be as much "surplus" strength as there would be in timber. Sure the sellers of steel building frames say "steel is stonger" which pound for pound is a fact, but a section made up of 2 to 3 mm gauge sheet steel is as strong as a 4 x 2 timber section. The builder wouldn't provide any additional strength over that required by the various codes and regulations - otherwise he's doin' dough.
MIke just said what I was trying to say earlier, only better. When I first heard the words "Steel frame", I imagined solid steel beams. Not steel a few mm thick bent to form a U-shape. Picking up one length of the steel doesn't exactly fill you with confidence regarding its strength. You can actually flex the piece with your hands. So, strength wise, I'd be more confident with timber any day.
thanks for your reply - in_for_the _difference! I am seeing a simonds SC tommorrow and will see a JGK sales rep tomorrow as well.

If we go to JGK, we tends to customise a plan.

as for henley, i think most of theri designs do not use upstair spaces efficiently, i.e, small upstair spaces apart from the master suite. i have got young adult daughter, she erally needs a big wardrobe, plus a growing teenage son. So decent kids rooms and wardrobes are part of our needs.

with ergards to the strength of steel-frames, i am surprised to know they can be bent with hands, so how strong are they? i wan told by a SC that they are lighter, put less pressure on the house, what does that mean?

also how do all of you think about the termite issue with timber ?

will appreciate any comments!

nh
I doubt you would be able to bend steel in your hand..

We make cars out of steel frames not timber... eventually most builders will probably change to steel as time goes on. It is a superior product but as timber has been used for 100's of years, it takes time for things to change to newer technology.
we would naturally think steel should be stronger and more resistant than timber in manay ways. unfortunately not many steel-framed builders in Victoria, so you don't really have much choice.
Michelle

I agree with Michelle.

Also like to know when the builder uses steel, does it means that for 2 stories ones, the flooring for upstairs will also be in steel? If so, that would be an excellent idea! As one of the major problem with our house is, our builder spent 6 weeks to finish the brick work. During that looooooooong period, our floor board was soaked in water due to long rainy period.....very bad!
A further question on steel frame: was told that with steel frame and trusses, this will ensure "true-straight ceilings with no waves or joint cracks". Is this true? I mean, what's the chance of these happening/not-happening with timber frame?

Thank for input.

IFTE
in_for_the_experience
A further question on steel frame: was told that with steel frame and trusses, this will ensure "true-straight ceilings with no waves or joint cracks". Is this true? I mean, what's the chance of these happening/not-happening with timber frame?

Thank for input.

IFTE

I live in a 4 yr old townhouse at the moment which is timber frame. And there is cracks everywhere in the plasterwork. Mainly in the ceiling and corners of the cornices. If this is avoided with steel frame then that would be a great benefit.
Regarding the bending steel issue. I did not say you can bend only flex. That is when I grabbed the steel beam with both hands (spaced about 40cm apart and twisted, it was easy enough to move it slightly. That's what I meant by flexing it. It has a bit of "give" in it. I hope that clarifies my earlier comment.
ahuang
Also like to know when the builder uses steel, does it means that for 2 stories ones, the flooring for upstairs will also be in steel?

No ... even the framing of the upstair floor is timber (actually a combination of timber and steel). We didn't go with JGK because of steel frame, so it wasn't a big deal for us, but might be an issue for someone else.
Related
18/04/2024
Hebel + steel frame vs brick+ timber frame

General Discussion

This is 100% true. You can not hang anything on steel frames. very frustrating

16/11/2023
Steel sheds. Worth going one with steel frame?

General Discussion

Hi I am wanting some opinions about the build of a steel shed I am going to get one about 4.5 x 2.5 m steel shed and the height will be about 2.3-2.4m high The one I am…

19/05/2023
Clunking noises Steel frame

General Discussion

Hi, I have a steel frame house which was built 2 years ago. When you are down stairs you can hear clunking noises when someone is walking around. We were told if you…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum