Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Buying land - what to watch out for

Page 1 of 1
This is my first time buying a block of land, and I was wondering what I needed to watch out for. The block is perfect, flat and affordable. I can sign the contract to buy this week (it will be sold to the next buyer if I don't).

Is there anything I need to be aware of? It will be pending finance, but do I need soil tests, or maps showing easements etc?

Appreciate any advice.
Which way does it face?
It faces north
North facing blocks are the least attractive for a home.

Check out http://anewhouse.com.au/2012/02/block-orientation/
Bean1969
It faces north

Yeah, unfortunately worst direction for energy efficiency.

bashworth
North facing blocks are the least attractive for a home.

Check out http://anewhouse.com.au/2012/02/block-orientation/

Hmm I tend to disagree. It depends.

Facing east with houses built
boundary to boundary u don't get much sun at all, particularly ground floor. And if it's single storey it's even worst.

And window needs to be obscure so that it won't overlook neighbour.

Facing north. Nothing is going to block your sun at the front.
MyFirst

Facing north. Nothing is going to block your sun at the front.

Just your own garage.
For single storey yeah.
Doubke storey u only lose one quarter.

But anyway as I said it depends.

Definitley true if it those long narrow piece of land.

But if its wide.. Then it can be quite good.
Sure. But assuming bean1969 is looking at a typical volume build design, think of what rooms are at the front of the house. Bedrooms and maybe secondary living spaces. The main living areas where most of the daylight time will be spent (open plan kitchen, living, meals) are usually at the back of the house.

If planning a custom design it is likely the designer will still put main living areas in the back, then use courtyards, clerestory windows etc to get the north light into the back of the house. So yes it can be done, but it’s more costly.

bean1969 we don’t know what your block is like or even where it is, but as you are in a position to buy a vacant block of land, try looking for one that faces rear to north (-ish). I can guarantee you with a southfacing back, your living areas will be cold and dark in winter.
It's good discussion to have OP and others thinking.

As oppose to the initial one line reply.
So true. Respectful discussion benefits everyone. To be fair though, the orientation topic comes up all the time - see all the threads re “feedback on house plan”
. Plenty of people have posted long detailed answers (@Bashworth is def one). And sometimes the OP doesn’t come back to respond. Because of that, it’s easier to post a single line to ascertain if the OP is even interested before launching into a long post!
Hillsbuilds
Which way does it face?

North-North East
Additionally, bean1969, getting a map of any easements, services etc is certainly a good idea. As you probably know, you can’t build over easements, and services you may have to spend extra to protect them (can’t remember the technical term for this!)
Hillsbuilds
Additionally, bean1969, getting a map of any easements, services etc is certainly a good idea. As you probably know, you can’t build over easements, and services you may have to spend extra to protect them (can’t remember the technical term for this!)

Thanks, I will find out about that tomorrow
Apart from orientation, also check the engineering of the lot. What is the fill and fall on block as it will decide your site costs. Ask for compaction report if possible and show it to a builder for an estimated site costs. I have seen site costs from 10 k to 50k depending on the fill and fall of the lot.
bal levels if adjacent land bush/heavy trees
Related
31/07/2023
Buying untitled land for a development

Buying Land

Yeah I don't know why I came to a forum. Place is full of wierdos/pedos thought internet may help but I suppose I'll try my luck with someone in person. Cheers. I tried…

28/04/2024
Buying on Warrigal Road (Oakleigh) - need advice

Real Estate

we are planning to buy a house on the warrigal road, but most of our friends say buying on main roads is not a good idea mainly because 1. constant traffic noise 2.…

16/07/2023
Aluminium awning window seal has popped out in one corner

Windows & Doors

Thanks mate, this helped a lot. Managed to get it back in.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum