Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Advice on floor plans

Page 1 of 1
Hi guys,

I got two floor plans. I am comparing. would like to listen to some opinion. From design perspective, which one is better?

Floor plan 1 ( with color): I have posted the floor plan 1 in this website before and received very valuable feedback.
Floor plan 2 (black and white): just received recently.

The home is for a couple, two kids ( 7 and 4 years old), and parents (late 60`s; living in the guest bed)
Orientation: This is an east facing block (18.88 frontage); backyard facing west.

and some commend/ advice on improvement on floor plan 2 ( the black and white copy).

Thanks in advance.

JW.

(floor plan 1)

floor plan 2
I think this is an improvement on the original. I remember seeing that one a few weeks ago. It flows really well. You have the biggest kitchen/ butlers pantry I have ever seen.
I would just change the doors into the ensuite, WIR and WIP to cavity sliders.
bestspecials
I think this is an improvement on the original. I remember seeing that one a few weeks ago. It flows really well. You have the biggest kitchen/ butlers pantry I have ever seen.

Thank you for the comment.
for the floor plan 2, few things I can see:
1), the toilet in the master ensuite should have a separate door? at least I see most of the display home nowadays always has separate toilet in the master ensuite.
2), the dressing/WIR in the masterbed room looks a bit strange because of fully closed with a 820mm door.
3),it has slightly bigger garage inside 6mx6m ( compare with 5.87x5.8
4), the window size is reduced a lot. might be reduced too much; especially, the theatre, it will be used as multi- purpose room as well
5), the TV wall block too much of the north aspect? I am thinking to move the TV from north to east, then I can have bigger window on the north side
JW001
bestspecials

Thank you for the comment.
for the floor plan 2, few things I can see:
1), the toilet in the master ensuite should have a separate door? at least I see most of the display home nowadays always has separate toilet in the master ensuite.
2), the dressing/WIR in the masterbed room looks a bit strange because of fully closed with a 820mm door.
3),it has slightly bigger garage inside 6mx6m ( compare with 5.87x5.8
4), the window size is reduced a lot. might be reduced too much; especially, the theatre, it will be used as multi- purpose room as well
5), the TV wall block too much of the north aspect? I am thinking to move the TV from north to east, then I can have bigger window on the north side

My opinions only...
1. If you want a seperate toilet in ensuite you will have to remove the bath. Many en-suite don’t have seperate toilets, it depends if its important to you (unless you’re building to sell)
2. You could move the door over to one side, but you’ll lose a wall of hanging space, or add a sliding door
3. The bigger garage is better if you’ve got a large car
4. The theatre wall is taking up all the best northern light! That’s a waste of the best aspect, I’d put a big window facing north (and not use it as a theatre room rather a rumpus room/play room.
5. Again yes that wall is blocking all the best light, if you want to make sure you utilise the aspect, you may need to rejig things, such as moving garage from the northern side...

Thank you for the reply.

I think I can remove the courtyard for the guest bed and relocate the TV wall from current position (north) to the opposite side of guest bedroom ( which means the TV will face west).

from design perspective, which floor plan you prefer or slight better than another?
The first floor plan I actually much prefer over the second, the problem now is others like the second better, so now you have doubts and if you weren’t already second guessing yourself, you’re now. End of day you’re the one coughing up the money and have to live there. Honestly ask yourself which plan you prefer, and go with that (obviously).
I prefer option 2, the floorplan has a better flow. However the WIP now off the laundry does not make sense.

Do you really need the pantry given the size of the scullery, which is the same size as your kitchen.

And unless you are running a catering business from home, why would you have 4 sinks and 2 cooktops? Personally I would reduce the size of the scullery and increase the floor space in bedrooms 3 and 4.
gillybean
The first floor plan I actually much prefer over the second, the problem now is others like the second better, so now you have doubts and if you weren’t already second guessing yourself, you’re now. End of day you’re the one coughing up the money and have to live there. Honestly ask yourself which plan you prefer, and go with that (obviously).

Thanks. Actually I want to resale after few years. So it is good to check which is a better plan and a popular plan
Bebbsy
I prefer option 2, the floorplan has a better flow. However the WIP now off the laundry does not make sense.

Do you really need the pantry given the size of the scullery, which is the same size as your kitchen.

And unless you are running a catering business from home, why would you have 4 sinks and 2 cooktops? Personally I would reduce the size of the scullery and increase the floor space in bedrooms 3 and 4.

thanks for reply.
Good point. In this case, the WIP should be WIL ( which should be used by Laundry).
The idea for kitchen - light cook: use outside cooktop; for heavy cook: come to the scullery; maybe I should add a sliding door between scullery and the kitchen outside.
Related
12/06/2023
CDC Housing Code 3: Gross Floor Area vs Floor Area

Building A New House

CDC Housing Code 3 When to apply Floor Area external face of wall vs Gross Floor Area internal face of wall. Reading thru CDC Housing Code 3, lets take a lot 915sqm.…

18/07/2023
Current thinking on garage floor level with house floor

Building A New House

isn't a garage level with the rest of the house a given? pretty sure they 'came around' long time ago. if you have a flat block, the garage is usually level with the rest…

18/02/2024
Footing advice and core fill advice for 600mm retaining wall

Paving & Concreting

Versaloc is a mortarless besser block system that still needs a properly engineered footing. If you just do a 400x200 footing it will fail in time. At 17m long you need it…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum