Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Help with Floor Plan

Page 1 of 1

Hi Everyone!

I am just wondering if anyone is able to help us out with a few ideas regarding this floor plan for land we are looking at purchasing. We are wanting to add a second lounge room or small study but cannot think of any way to re-config the layout. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Extend the existing one.
or
Put a second level extension on.
or
Get a larger block that would be more suited.
You seem to have length but lack width so try to work with what you have.
Is there a reason you want the master at the front or could you place a lounge where this is and move all that side back (but this will reduce your backyard)? Does your WIP need to be across from your kitchen or could it be behind the rear kitchen wall adjoining the bedroom? Does the hall have to run straight from front to back or could you create a bend and enter from say the right hand side to open up the kitchen more? Does your laundry need to be a room or could it be a cupboard or across the rear wall of the garage (not it's own room)? Other than that I think you'd need to look at going up.
Thank you for all those questions really gives us something to ponder! I love you idea regarding the laundry! Definitely something I hadn't thought of. Thank you
What is the orientation of the block OP?

The orientation of your home will play a huge part in the comfort of you home, & in the cost incurred for heating/cooling your home.

Have a read of this extremely informative government website to get an idea of the ideal orientation for a home in Australia.

http://yourhome.gov.au/passive-design/orientation

I'd recommend not just reading the section on orientation, but the entire section on "passive design".

But a brief summary would be to say, that in Australia the sun is in the northern sky. So build with your living areas facing north. These will be warmed by the sun in winter, & shaded by eaves in summer. Locate the garage & rarely used rooms (like bathrooms & the laundry), as these will protect the home from hot afternoon summer sun.

Looking at your original plan. If you have a northern frontage, much of the northern sunlight will be wasted on your garage. Your living areas would face south, so would be dark, & cold in winter.

But if you have a southern frontage, the living areas would face north, & be nice & light, & warmed by the sun in winter. However, the bedrooms would have west, & would be very hot on summer evenings. The floor plan could be flipped though, so the bedrooms face east, & the garage & bathrooms face west, perfect!

See how orientation will play a HUGE difference in the comfort of a home.

Best of luck with your build.
Related
2/04/2024
Floor plan renovation help for bathroom/laundry

Bathrooms and Laundry

This is a very tight fit, I'm not sure if you'll be able to achieve what you've described. Would you consider accessing the separate toilet from the laundry? If so maybe…

22/04/2024
Floor plan renovation help

General Discussion

we need accurate dimensions as well as the number of bedrooms and bathrooms needed etc to make specific suggestions but, based on estimated rooms sizes, it could be…

25/05/2023
Floor plan review

Building A New House

i thought the flipped plan initially but bec i want narrow pathway from entry to dining (dont like bend), also cannot fit the…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum