Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Gloss vs Matt floor tiles in wet areas

Page 1 of 1
Hi all, could you please advise whether to take gloss tiles or Matt tiles in bathroom floors and walls. Do gloss tiles get slippery in wet areas? Appreciate your suggestions.
We have shine tiles (sometimes called lapato). They are a cross between matt and gloss. We have them through the whole house including in the showers and don't have any slip issues.
Hi, I've got gloss rectified porcelain floor tiles in all my wet areas but despite being glossy they still have a slight surface texture to them. So they are no problem at all when wet - I've nver ever felt that I would or could slip, bare foot or otherwise. I definitely wouldn't be going for a full gloss "untextured" tile though for the floor - that would be slippery (I've got full gloss for the wall tiles though).

I used to have highly textured satin finish floor tiles in my previous house. So far as comparing the two, the gloss ones look a lot better and classier (and are more expensive), they are easier to keep clean but (surprisingly and disappointingly) they can be scratched by very heavy objects (such as a delivery trolley with the full weight of a washing machine on it). But in normal use they are virtually scratch proof.

To be honest though in hindsight I would have gone with a more highly textured semi gloss finish for the floor tiles as they are the best compromise in practical terms imho. I only really went with the glossy ones this time around because the supplier my builder used didn't really have much of a selection of anything other than the more fancy glossy type. Perhaps they are the "in thing" these days.
Related
28/12/2023
Matt Black Kitchen .. Options

Kitchen Corner

I asked this question of one of the forum's resident cabinet makers who may/may not wish to identify himself to answer other questions if he sees this, but the rersponse…

18/07/2023
Ryobi wet saw C-125A blade size?

General Discussion

All sorted guys. Just needed to buy a blade with the correct bush. Dunno how to delete this post, can't find any help file. Cheers.

3/09/2023
Natural stone- stain removal and gloss sealing

General Discussion

Hi, planning on using the attached stone pieces in my bathroom. I want to remove stains and gloss seal. Can I get some advice on best way to remove stains and best…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum