Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Ducted vacuum in a new build

Page 1 of 1
Just wondering if it’s worth getting the ducted vacuum in a new house? Please suggest.

Thanks
Dani B
DaniB
Just wondering if it’s worth getting the ducted vacuum in a new house? Please suggest.

Thanks
Dani B

Hmm I reckon today with Dyson handheld and robot vacum not many will do ducted vacuum isn't it?

Unless it's dirt cheap else get a Dyson V11 handheld and u would me much happier I reckon.
There are those who swear by ducted … I can see the attraction, huge motor (because it doesn't need to be portable) can provide good suction, the entire unit can be installed somewhere that filter perfection isn't so important (ie. no need to worry about just blowing the dust around the house like cheap vacuums do). However, I'm not a huge fan of permanent installations of things which will eventually stop working; all that ducting corrodes eventually, and in terms of actually using it I think there's as much effort stooping down to plug-in the hose in each room as there is in dragging a portable one around.

Note that you can't vacuum a house with a rechargeable Dyson, the battery doesn't last long enough! They're getting better, but our V8 only just manages to do the stairs before it runs out of power. So you still need one that's plugged in, with current affordable tech at least. We've got a robot vac which works well for us, but due to my allergies we've got hard flooring & no carpet (robot vacs don't have enough suction to do carpet) & also no pets. Still have to do skirting-boards & harder-to-reach areas, takes a few charges of the Dyson to do the whole house.

If you've got carpet I don't know that there's a lot of scope for improved ability of robot vacs to clean, just because I think they need to be small or they're useless & I don't think they can achieve improved suction without becoming larger - because I think it's not the battery but instead the motor that's the problem there.

The relevance of all that to ducted vacuum cleaners? Just that I think there's as much need for them as there ever was, I like the idea of keeping the dust/filters/etc outside the house, and yet we didn't feel enough of a desire for one to get one installed - despite my allergy to dust.
Forg
There are those who swear by ducted … I can see the attraction, huge motor (because it doesn't need to be portable) can provide good suction, the entire unit can be installed somewhere that filter perfection isn't so important (ie. no need to worry about just blowing the dust around the house like cheap vacuums do). However, I'm not a huge fan of permanent installations of things which will eventually stop working; all that ducting corrodes eventually, and in terms of actually using it I think there's as much effort stooping down to plug-in the hose in each room as there is in dragging a portable one around.

Note that you can't vacuum a house with a rechargeable Dyson, the battery doesn't last long enough! They're getting better, but our V8 only just manages to do the stairs before it runs out of power. So you still need one that's plugged in, with current affordable tech at least. We've got a robot vac which works well for us, but due to my allergies we've got hard flooring & no carpet (robot vacs don't have enough suction to do carpet) & also no pets. Still have to do skirting-boards & harder-to-reach areas, takes a few charges of the Dyson to do the whole house.

If you've got carpet I don't know that there's a lot of scope for improved ability of robot vacs to clean, just because I think they need to be small or they're useless & I don't think they can achieve improved suction without becoming larger - because I think it's not the battery but instead the motor that's the problem there.

The relevance of all that to ducted vacuum cleaners? Just that I think there's as much need for them as there ever was, I like the idea of keeping the dust/filters/etc outside the house, and yet we didn't feel enough of a desire for one to get one installed - despite my allergy to dust.

Dyson V11 battery last like 45mins but still mainly for upstairs.

And downstairs usually people have tiles or laminate then a robo vacuum is suffice with less regular handheld vacuuming.

Anyway just some alternatives.
Is 45min on a V11 battery your experience, or the claim by the company?
I'm pretty sure the claim for the V8 was 45min, but I assume that's the lowest setting.
Forg
Is 45min on a V11 battery your experience, or the claim by the company?
I'm pretty sure the claim for the V8 was 45min, but I assume that's the lowest setting.

Thanks everyone
My brother has ducted vacuum in his house (large single storey) and he says its just as annoying trailing the hose around as it was when he had a cord

Regarding robot vacuums, I have one and it works fine - mine runs the whole house 2-3 times a week and we rarely see dirty floors. Every 1 or 2 months we do the carpets with our Dyson Animal and it doesn't pick up much at all, so that says to me that it does plenty fine on carpet.
^ Interesting … maybe if the robot runs over it regularly enough, the majority of the hair & dust doesn't get down far into the pile? 'Cos the robot vacs have pretty much no suction at all; they sweep Stuff from the surface into the air a bit where their limited suction can then get said Stuff, they've got no hope of getting anything that's not on the surface.

I might get one for my mum, if it's working for you - what've you got, if I may ask? We've got a Roombo, 960 I think it is, but I'm not convinced it's as smart as it could be (only runs randomly & I see no evidence of it mapping a room out).
Forg

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Related
11/11/2023
Ducted air con zones

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Hi all, sorting out the ducted air con for a 350sqm double story house. Does this placement sound reasonable to you? Also, I plan to have 6 zones I think. Living room…

11/11/2023
Ducted air con zones

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Hi all, sorting out the ducted air con for a 350sqm double story house. I think i plan to have 6 zones I think. Living room (mainly for entertainment so not used often),…

16/01/2024
Ducted air con insulation question

General Discussion

Hi there I have a Panasonic ducted air con system.…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum