Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Electrical Plan Feedback

Page 1 of 1
Hello everyone!

I was hoping I could get some feedback on my electrical plans if possible. I've tried to implement all the feedback I read on this forum but am worried I might have missed something important. Thanks a lot!
I'd put in a lot more power points, pretty much on every wall, including in the garage, and on your island bench. I went crazy with Power points ($50 for a double) and still find places where I would like one. Will you ever want ceiling fans in the future? I put in wiring and an extra noggin for those - builder charged $20 each
My advice is where possible relocate powerpoints and switches off external walls to internal. Less impact on thermal efficiency that way.

Also maybe find out if they plan to use some form of downlight cover in the roof area to allow insulation to be installed around it ok. I've seen in some instances where the insulation installers basically leave one whole ceiling 'bay' uninsulated because they can't be bothered trimming a batt around a downlight.

I would consider more lights in your garage. Maybe 2 at the rear on a separate switch if you plan on having any sort of work area there?

Also check you have enough 2 way switches on some of those lights...especially hallways ones.
Had a quick look and taking into account our mistakes and lessons learnt.

Put a sensor light in the garage so when you drive into the house there's a light for you to get out of the car.

Make you put a two way switch for the toilet and fan.

Put a two way switch somewhere in the master bedroom for the front facade lights. That way you can turn off the front light from the bed room at night.

Have as many double gpo power points around there. Out some in the cabinets for toothbrush, handheld vacuum in the laundry cabinets

Add more downlights in the bedrooms. Will be too dark with just one. I have 4 in each of the kids room.
Your lights don’t line up with each other, between the dining/family, the kitchen/hallway and your hallway are crooked.
Light over the vanity in the en-suite?
Bedside lights in master?
I'd consider more lighting in the garage, and its totally up to you but I prefer soft lighting of a night, so I installed a lot of provisions on the stairway, hallways upstairs and downstairs to have low wattage wall lights (I'll organise my own electrician to install these after handover my builder was too expensive!). Instead of the bright glarey light just have these going, and are good to leave on when asleep if you have kids who need to get up for during the night also.
gogo65
Your lights don’t line up with each other, between the dining/family, the kitchen/hallway and your hallway are crooked.

Very good point. Ensure that they are perfectly lined up on the drawing and positioned properly in the center of the rooms etc . When my house was built the moron electrician didn't line them up perfectly, and then tried to argue that they weren't lined up on the drawing, so he didn't have to. Same for the powerpoints, The guy who does the drawing just drags and drops roughly, but the electrician may scale off the drawing.
ourrawsonbalmoral38
I'd consider more lighting in the garage, and its totally up to you but I prefer soft lighting of a night, so I installed a lot of provisions on the stairway, hallways upstairs and downstairs to have low wattage wall lights (I'll organise my own electrician to install these after handover my builder was too expensive!). Instead of the bright glarey light just have these going, and are good to leave on when asleep if you have kids who need to get up for during the night also.

thanks for the tips. I have two of these on the stairs (connected to a sensor light) and I'm not overly happy with the fact that each light costs 350 and the sensor another 350. How much is your electrician charging for these soft lights? I might consider just making provisions and installing after.
darb74
My advice is where possible relocate powerpoints and switches off external walls to internal. Less impact on thermal efficiency that way.

Also maybe find out if they plan to use some form of downlight cover in the roof area to allow insulation to be installed around it ok. I've seen in some instances where the insulation installers basically leave one whole ceiling 'bay' uninsulated because they can't be bothered trimming a batt around a downlight.

I would consider more lights in your garage. Maybe 2 at the rear on a separate switch if you plan on having any sort of work area there?

Also check you have enough 2 way switches on some of those lights...especially hallways ones.

Thanks darb74. Are you able to elaborate on the relocation of powerpoints ans switches. Maybe point an example on my plans as I am a bit confused....
Hi Boro

What I mean by looking at putting electrical switches etc away from external walls, is in rooms likes bedrooms you sometimes have the flexibility to put GPOs etc on an internal wall (instead of external).

Main benefit is your external wall is best left without holes and penetrations as this is where some of your heating and cooling losses will occur. Typically your internal walls are not insulated and so running all the wires and switches in these walls doesn't have as much impact.

This image below is just an early electrical plan of ours (final plan was quite different), but it was the easiest one for me to quickly grab.

I have circled in red GPOs that I made sure were on internal walls that otherwise could have been easily placed by the builder on externals.

darb74
Hi Boro

What I mean by looking at putting electrical switches etc away from external walls, is in rooms likes bedrooms you sometimes have the flexibility to put GPOs etc on an internal wall (instead of external).

Main benefit is your external wall is best left without holes and penetrations as this is where some of your heating and cooling losses will occur. Typically your internal walls are not insulated and so running all the wires and switches in these walls doesn't have as much impact.

This image below is just an early electrical plan of ours (final plan was quite different), but it was the easiest one for me to quickly grab.

I have circled in red GPOs that I made sure were on internal walls that otherwise could have been easily placed by the builder on externals.

I got it now, thank you!
brokenstick
gogo65

Very good point. Ensure that they are perfectly lined up on the drawing and positioned properly in the center of the rooms etc . When my house was built the moron electrician didn't line them up perfectly, and then tried to argue that they weren't lined up on the drawing, so he didn't have to. Same for the powerpoints, The guy who does the drawing just drags and drops roughly, but the electrician may scale off the drawing.

Even when on plan is lined up, electrician do not follow plan. Ensure to check all points are where you want it to be as per your plan and it lines up.
Related
7/10/2023
Floor plan feedback

Building A New House

Hi there! Absolutely agree on the wasted space. We have no desire for the master to be that oversized, but it occurred when we increased the depth of the garage. We have…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum