Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Drive through Garage

Page 1 of 1
Hi, we just received our prelim drawings and we are planning for a garage with a roller door at the back, so that we can drive a car/boat/digger through into the backyard. The Drawing has made an allowance for a 3.6m path down the side of the house. Is this too wide? what are others doing in terms of width?
Hi Newbie2019,

To put it in perspective a typical single car garage is 3.0m wide and this is just enough room to open the doors ect.

I'd say stick with 3.6m unless it is compromising your internal areas.

Hope this helps!
my current house does not have a drive through garage. But my parent's old home did. We actually had a 4m wide space, that way we can have a car parked there and us kids can still play around/near it safely etc.

I would say stick with 3.6m too.
If it's 3.6m where you'll want to be putting the boat/whatever, then yeah stick with that.

However if that's just an access path to get to where the boat/whatever will be parked, it can be narrower. Our side drive narrows down to 2.5m & I've had delivery trucks (pantechs not semi's!) reverse up that … but there's not really enough room to comfortably park there & open doors.
Related
27/06/2023
Drive way channel drain

General Discussion

Yeah mine about 9 metres long and 8 wide with slope of 25% at one point but the end point of the outlet is past the side of garage and if he concretes allowing for…

19/05/2023
PVC pipe through footing

General Discussion

yep sounds good make the footing bigger to to allow for the pipe in the middle

21/10/2023
Rain coming through security door

General Discussion

Hi When it rains in a particular direction water comes through the security door. It hits the main door and the bottom swells and jams. There is already a cover over the…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum