Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Australian standards re toilet placement

Page 1 of 2
Hi all, our builder has stuffed up the toilet placement in our new build. (Or the plumber did either way). On our plans the toilet is meant to be centered with equal distance either side of the wall and shower screen - glass. They have come back to us and said that there is a minimum distance between toilet and shower and they won’t move it. I cannot find the correct reg or location in the AUstralian standards For this. Can someone please point me in the right direction ?
Sorry I don't know the answer, but if is was a standard surely they would know about that when they did the drawing??.

Sound like they are trying to cover up their stuff-up. Sometimes it just feels like you want to hit your head against a wall - did they really think you wouldn't notice???? I would ask them to show you where it says that in the standard. But besides that, they are not building what is on the drawing so should have checked with you BEFORE they changed it
brokenstick
Sorry I don't know the answer, but if is was a standard surely they would know about that when they did the drawing??.

Sound like they are trying to cover up their stuff-up. Sometimes it just feels like you want to hit your head against a wall - did they really think you wouldn't notice???? I would ask them to show you where it says that in the standard. But besides that, they are not building what is on the drawing so should have checked with you BEFORE they changed it

I’ve been googling my arse off but I think I have to pay to get a copy of the relevant standard. Which is fine but I don’t know which one is right. But yes just asking them to show us is probably an easier option. We had a site supervisor change. The first one was often on site and would ring us if he thought something wouldn’t be right even if it was on the plan. The current one doesn’t give a stuff. PCI next week
The builder is obliged to build to what’s in the plan. Including dimensions. Unless you have agreed otherwise - in writing. The standard is not the issue here, it’s the contract.
Does it change anything that the certificate of occupancy has been issued ? I’m stressing bad
If the building is not completed per the contract you can dispute the builders claim of PCI. Rectification later will be inconvenient. Check your contract about the process for this.
KDRSEMELB
They have come back to us and said that there is a minimum distance between toilet and shower and they won’t move it.

Ask them for a copy of their claimed regulation but in the meanwhile, look on the bright side. It could have been worse!

SaveH2O
KDRSEMELB
They have come back to us and said that there is a minimum distance between toilet and shower and they won’t move it.

Ask them for a copy of their claimed regulation but in the meanwhile, look on the bright side. It could have been worse!

Haha maybe if it was like that my husband wouldn’t spend as much time in there 😂
Anyone have any idea which one trumps. The floor plan or the elevation ? As the Toilet isn’t centered on the floor plans but is on the elevation. So I assume the plumber went off the floor plan.
The plumbing set out is done off the floor plan.
chippy
The plumbing set out is done off the floor plan.

Yeah thanks. What’s what I assumed. However the floor plans don’t actually show any measurements for the toilet placement. Anyways. Will await what the builder has to say
The builder is talking c#@p, ask them to provide you with the relevant Australian Standard. They have made a mistake on there plans and then they try to justify by telling you a BS story

What you could do it ask for a copy of the plumbing set-out plans. These would have been produced by the draftsperson with full measurements etc.

I personally reckon they put the pipe in the wrong spot prior to the slab being poured (as is fairly common I think), so just plonked the dunny down without any attempt to shift it over slightly.

I agree it is a pain and I too wouldn't be very happy. But ultimately if it is difficult to change now, and this is your only problem with the house then overall (long term!) it might not be a massive issue.

But like I said I understand you're annoyed, it is just stupid of the plumbers and builder to do this. Doesn't make sense to not try and centre it up.
You better not have a right arm when sitting on that throne,and be prepared for a eventual rustic earthy toning to your right tiles.

Good news is that it's an easy fix with an offset pan collar.

However where is the inlet pipe?

If behind the cistern, they may have to replace the tile.
JB1

Is this likely to then make the toilet likely to back up easily ?
darb74
What you could do it ask for a copy of the plumbing set-out plans. These would have been produced by the draftsperson with full measurements etc.

I personally reckon they put the pipe in the wrong spot prior to the slab being poured (as is fairly common I think), so just plonked the dunny down without any attempt to shift it over slightly.

I agree it is a pain and I too wouldn't be very happy. But ultimately if it is difficult to change now, and this is your only problem with the house then overall (long term!) it might not be a massive issue.

But like I said I understand you're annoyed, it is just stupid of the plumbers and builder to do this. Doesn't make sense to not try and centre it up.

Yep I agree re incorrect placing in the early stages. Also incorrectly placed our rangehood, a shower rail and a shower dumper too. Whilst those have been rectified it’s getting painful.
Joker
You better not have a right arm when sitting on that throne,and be prepared for a eventual rustic earthy toning to your right tiles.

Haha I actually laughed out loud to that
JB1

Sorry about two replies. I’m a moron and couldn’t figure out how to edit my other post. My husband thinks the inlet pipe is in the wall behind.
Related
18/08/2023
Tv Fireplace placement in large lounge room

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Hi all, My first post, we are building a house and can’t decide the layout of the lounge room. We have a large N/W facing window and are wanting to have a wood slow…

10/09/2023
Laundry door placement v split level stairs

Windows & Doors

Move your linen into laundry and access laundry from your present linen space

19/05/2023
Finishing standards - advice needed

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

Don't think they are designed for double brick. WA has a particular way of building and unfortunately that's the way a large amount of sills are finished.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum