Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Cost Variations post Quote

Page 1 of 2
Hi,

I am building a house with a volume builder (They build approx. 100 new homes a year) who I won't name at this stage.

They have been very good to deal with to this stage (5-6 months) but was very surprised with our first tender meeting following on from receiving our build quote a fortnight earlier to be presented with the following cost variations after the initial quote:

$5,000 for crane hire which we've been told is for deliveries due to restricted access to our block where there are neighbouring houses either side.

$3,000 for rainwater tank.

$8,000 provision for a sealed system which we've now been told is a council requirement as our block is in a flood zone/overlay.

$1,500 in a few other minor changes.

This is on the back of another $7,000 surprise we received at the quote stage for extending our first floor by a metre which we had been told that we had extra square metreage to utilise free of charge as part of the house design we were using. We've since been told that this charge was for extending the ground floor which we hadn't even discussed to date.

It's fair to say some red flags were coming up for me so I promptly finished up the meeting and am now looking at all options.

If anyone has some feedback on the above additional costs and particularly the timing of them (After the initial quote stage and after I had requested in writing to not have any cost surprises as we were working to a tight budget), it would be appreciated.

Cheers.
They really don't sound unusual to me.

I thought the general rule-of-thumb was that if you were getting away with anything less than about $100k more than the quote you were doing well?
Norts33
Hi,

I am building a house with a volume builder (They build approx. 100 new homes a year) who I won't name at this stage.

They have been very good to deal with to this stage (5-6 months) but was very surprised with our first tender meeting following on from receiving our build quote a fortnight earlier to be presented with the following cost variations after the initial quote:

$5,000 for crane hire which we've been told is for deliveries due to restricted access to our block where there are neighbouring houses either side.

$8,000 provision for a sealed system which we've now been told is a council requirement as our block is in a flood zone/overlay.

This is on the back of another $7,000 surprise we received at the quote stage for extending our first floor by a metre which we had been told that we had extra square metreage to utilise free of charge as part of the house design we were using. We've since been told that this charge was for extending the ground floor which we hadn't even discussed to date.

It's fair to say some red flags were coming up for me so I promptly finished up the meeting and am now looking at all options.

If anyone has some feedback on the above additional costs and particularly the timing of them (After the initial quote stage and after I had requested in writing to not have any cost surprises as we were working to a tight budget), it would be appreciated.

Cheers.

If you're in NSW PM me and as I know a lot of the major builders ( having worked for several of them) and I can give you some more accurate feedback as to whats reasonable.

But I need more detail on your street for the crane ( what is important is to ask them how many lifts they will be doing and what size crane etc ie a 30 tone mobile v a franna as costs vary significantly.

They may also hit you up for traffic control while lifting, but I can help you out in a Pm with more details.

Suprising they have hit you up with a variation for a rainwater tank as they should be included as standard now ( maybe council requires a larger one). A 3000l tank with pump costs around $2500. Some councils require two so this may be fair

anyway, i might be able to assist

Cheers

S
Norts33

Cheers.

Welcome to the forum
How do you estimate costs without engineering Stormwater designs, specifications and details?
How long is a piece of string? How long does it take?
the crane hire is too high?

Sorry, you will need to put up more info..BTW it also helps others
Charged stormwater design sloping block
StructuralBIMGuy
Norts33

Cheers.

Welcome to the forum
How do you estimate costs without engineering Stormwater designs, specifications and details?

you are right, my guess is they are probably PC sums as you cant know the costs until the engineering has been completed
SejaeD
Norts33
Hi,

Cheers.

If you're in NSW PM me and as I know a lot of the major builders ( having worked for several of them) and I can give you some more accurate feedback as to whats reasonable.

But I need more detail on your street for the crane ( what is important is to ask them how many lifts they will be doing and what size crane etc ie a 30 tone mobile v a franna as costs vary significantly.

They may also hit you up for traffic control while lifting, but I can help you out in a Pm with more details.

Suprising they have hit you up with a variation for a rainwater tank as they should be included as standard now ( maybe council requires a larger one). A 3000l tank with pump costs around $2500. Some councils require two so this may be fair

Cheers

S

Thanks for the feedback S. I'm based in VIC and the our block is on a quiet court, so wouldn't imagine that traffic control would be required.

The contract/tender clarifications we were presented with lists the following:

Crane hire double story designs due to restricted access with dwellings either side of lot - $5,000

Provide 2,000 litre slimline oval rainwater tank to meet requirements of land contract/town planning - $3,064

Provisional sum for sealed system as per land contract requirements. Price to be fixed upon receipt of final engineering and quotes - $8,000

I went to council today who said I need to follow up with Melbourne Water regarding the sealed system as they didn't know what it was or whether it was required.

I think I need the RWT to achieve the 6 star rating for the dwelling.

I understand that some of these charges may be required and my responsibility to check, I was just surprised to get an additional $17k in costs provided in the following meeting after we had already been through the quote with them at the previous meeting and they have been made aware of our overlays and none of the above charges had been flagged after several meetings.

Cheers.
StructuralBIMGuy
Norts33

Cheers.

Welcome to the forum

Thanks for the feedback Structuralbimguy. In addition to the info I have responded in the post above, another tender clarification is to provide AHD survey to assess flood prone levels due to lot being in a flood prone zone - $470 which they have now said they will not charge for.

They are also looking into the crane and sealed system charges further as they are provisional charges which they've obviously built some fat into.

I think it makes sense to get the engineers report completed so that we have a more accurate read on the sealed system costs.

Cheers.
Norts33
I think it makes sense to get the engineers report completed so that we have a more accurate read on the sealed system costs.

If your engineer uses 3D Bim Engineering,then you should be able to extract Material Quantities, ie , m,m2,m3,etc
Apply realistic labour Rates$ , allow for a reasonable builders profit and compare it to the builders final price.
Be Wary Builders will always try to gouge back additional margins on variations and provision Costs/Sums, etc
Drive a bargain in your favour and negotiate hth
Norts33
Provide 2,000 litre slimline oval rainwater tank to meet requirements of land contract/town planning - $3,064

Is $3,064 just for the tank? If so, even with the builder's 20% margin it is ridiculously expensive.

Ask about having two 1,000 L round poly tanks or even three 700 L or 800 L round poly tanks if you needed a smaller diameter. You would divert to one end tank and the water would flow through balance lines to the furthest tank that would service the pump. This is called a settling tank system that would provide the pump with cleaner water and have the same footprint at 1/3 of the price. Only the infeed tank would require an overflow pipe.

Also don't get ripped off with an oversized pump or accept a Davey Rainbank. The Davey Rainbank is an expensive automatic mains water switching device that transfers mains water to the pump whenever the tank gets low on rainwater.

You can save close to $1,000 by eliminating a mains water switching device by having the cisterns plumbed directly from the pump via a manual mains water switching system operated by isolation valves fitted in the toilet. It is very simple, see link below.
https://www.vba.vic.gov.au/__data/asset ... sterns.pdf
Norts33

Will the property be connected to recycled water? If the property is supplied with recycled water, you do not need to opt for either a 2,000 L rainwater tank or a solar hot water system.
Norts33

I am not clear on this, is this a charged stormwater system? If so, $8,000 is very expensive or is it a pumped system?
StructuralBIMGuy
Norts33

If your engineer uses 3D Bim Engineering,then you should be able to extract Material Quantities, ie , m,m2,m3,etc
Apply realistic labour Rates$ , allow for a reasonable builders profit and compare it to the builders final price.
Be Wary Builders will always try to gouge back additional margins on variations and provision Costs/Sums, etc

Thanks for the feedback StructuralIBIMGuy. I'm getting the impression that this builder is definitely gouging now which is disappointing as I've lost a lot of confidence in them now and am wondering where else in the construction costs are they gouging. Cheers
SaveH2O
Norts33

Is $3,064 just for the tank? If so, even with the builder's 20% margin it is ridiculously expensive.

Ask about having two 1,000 L round poly tanks or even three 700 L or 800 L round poly tanks if you needed a smaller diameter. You would divert to one end tank and the water would flow through balance lines to the furthest tank that would service the pump. This is called a settling tank system that would provide the pump with cleaner water and have the same footprint at 1/3 of the price. Only the infeed tank would require an overflow pipe.

Also don't get ripped off with an oversized pump or accept a Davey Rainbank. The Davey Rainbank is an expensive automatic mains water switching device that transfers mains water to the pump whenever the tank gets low on rainwater.

You can save close to $1,000 by eliminating a mains water switching device by having the cisterns plumbed directly from the pump via a manual mains water switching system operated by isolation valves fitted in the toilet. It is very simple, see link below.
Norts33

Will the property be connected to recycled water? If the property is supplied with recycled water, you do not need to opt for either a 2,000 L rainwater tank or a solar hot water system.
Norts33

I am not clear on this, is this a charged stormwater system? If so, $8,000 is very expensive or is it a pumped system?

Thanks for the feedback SaveH2O. I have asked for clarity on the sealed system and for a fixed price on it too. The quote has Class A recycled water which includes water run in, connection of recycled water to all toilet suites, 1no recycled tap at rear of dwelling and 1no recycled water connection to laundry. The variations list the 2,000 litre slimline oval rainwater tank to meet requirements of land contract. How do I know if I really need both?
Norts33
The quote has Class A recycled water which includes water run in, connection of recycled water to all toilet suites, 1no recycled tap at rear of dwelling and 1no recycled water connection to laundry. The variations list the 2,000 litre slimline oval rainwater tank to meet requirements of land contract. How do I know if I really need both?

I'm not privy to the contract and so I can't say but it seems ridiculous for you to have to bear the cost of both recycled water and a variation for a water tank unless the tank is part of a charged stormwater detention system and there was a set limited Permissible Site Discharge (PSD) but if it was, the tank size would most probably be bigger. Just ask the builder for documentation as to the tank's required purpose. $3,000 is ridiculous anyway but surely that would also include other costs such as the base.

Are you building with Simmonds? They use to wrongly charge their customers for a tank or solar hot water even when their houses were connected to recycled water.
SaveH2O
Norts33

Norts33

Norts33

You're right, the sealed system sounds like a charged system ( in NSW they are called Charged Systems), but $8k and then $3k for the tank WTF???

You can do your entire external drainage for $8-10k. A charged system is in basic terms uPVC solvent welding your 100mm PVC pipe ( to pressure seal it) and making sure they get the invert and discharge RL's correct. So $8k is a massive gouge
SejaeD
A charged system is in basic terms uPVC solvent welding your 100mm PVC pipe ( to pressure seal it) and making sure they get the invert and discharge RL's correct. So $8k is a massive gouge

If that is all they are doing, then a huge YES, it would be a massive rort for just solvent welding some pvc stormwater pipe to the adaptors.

The only use that I can see for a tank is its use as a detention system unless it is an underground detention tank used to capture and pump surface water to a LPOD. If so, then they must have incorporated some of the additional costs into the $8,000.

I await with interest.
Norts33
StructuralBIMGuy
Norts33

Thanks for the feedback StructuralIBIMGuy. I'm getting the impression that this builder is definitely gouging now which is disappointing as I've lost a lot of confidence in them now and am wondering where else in the construction costs are they gouging. Cheers

StructuralIBIMGuy - Following on from the above, the builder has since come back advising: Provisional Sealed system: Engineering is not ordered until after contracts are signed and all client requested changes have been actioned, we should be able to obtain full engineering around 10 days after contracts signed. Once engineering is received we would get our plumber to do an on-site drainage inspection and provide a final quote off the back of that. I have spoken to the production estimating team to get an approximate amount on sealed system’s they advised typically they come back at around $8000.00 to $9000.00. I am not comfortable with this as i know if i sign off on a provisional amount, they will bank the upper amount. Any feedback on ways around this? Cheers, Norts33.
SejaeD
Norts33
Hi,

Cheers.

Cheers

S

G'day SejaeD,

I have since received the following regarding the Crane Hire:

Crane Hire: As discussed we require this due to insufficient access to your site for deliveries. We will require the crane hire (company we use for crane hire is called Conway’s) for the below:

1. Ground floor frame delivery from Timber truss
  2. 1st floor frame delivery from Timber truss
  3. Roof Materials from Bristol

As per above, they have allowed a provisional sum for $5,000 for Crane Hire and when i pressed them for a firm/fixed cost for Crane Hire (I know if i sign-off on the provisional amount they will just bank the $5k), the response was that this would be fairly close to the total amount needed when comparing to similar jobs they have required crane hire for.

The block we are building on is in a very quiet court, bayside Melbourne therefore wouldn't expect traffic control to be an issue.

Be great to get your feedback.

Cheers,

Norts33
SaveH2O
SejaeD
A charged system is in basic terms uPVC solvent welding your 100mm PVC pipe ( to pressure seal it) and making sure they get the invert and discharge RL's correct. So $8k is a massive gouge

If that is all they are doing, then a huge YES, it would be a massive rort for just solvent welding some pvc stormwater pipe to the adaptors.

The only use that I can see for a tank is its use as a detention system unless it is an underground detention tank used to capture and pump surface water to a LPOD. If so, then they must have incorporated some of the additional costs into the $8,000.

I await with interest.

Hi SejaeD,

Below is what they have provided me with on the Sealed (Charged) System:

Sealed System: As discussed we will be able to fix the price for the sealed system once engineering is received, I will pass this onto you once obtained. Our plumber will then go out to site for an inspection and provide a quote off the back of that (our plumbers for your area are TNT plumbing). Engineering will be ordered once contracts are signed and all changes are finalized this takes around 7 days to obtain once ordered.

They have provided a provisional estimate of $8,000 and are saying that it should be very close to that amount.

They provided me with a very basic diagram which i will try to attached and explanation that the system manages storm water run off from either side of the roof of the house down gutter pipes to an underground pipe which leads to a water tank.

Be great to get your feedback on this. Please note that we are in a Flood Zone/Overlay and they are saying that it is required regardless of who we build with as a requirement for our land contract.

Cheers,

Norts33
Norts33

SaveH20, SejaeD, above is the diagram that they printed off from the internet i think and explained to me is what the Sealed System setup is.

I told them that i was going to get a plumbing contact to also quote on the job to ensure the costs they are proposing are fair and reasonable.

Cheers,

Norts33
Norts33
If I was to print that rubbish out off the internet and submit it to the council for approvals they would laugh at me.
A plumber wouldn't quote on that sketch, nor should you accept an PS estimate based on that.
Engineering PSs are easy targets for cost hikes and most clients never query them.. basically clients trust Engineers..I'm finding trust isn't transferable to builders. hth
Related
23/05/2023
Security Account for Post Contract Variations??

Building A New House

It seems very clear to me that your contract states that a security account does NOT need to be established so the answer to the builder is NO. If in doubt find a contract…

20/08/2023
Builder suspended works, demanding variations, cost increase

Building A New House

Fair Trading can issue orders to rectify and complete but once the matter goes to NCAT these orders are automatically vacated. You will have to terminate contract and sue…

20/06/2023
Pre-construction stage- Variations taking 6+ weeks to comple

General Discussion

The fastest thing a builder will do is bank your cheque, those systems work perfectly with lightning speed, everything else is slow burn. Just the way it is.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum