Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Clarendon Homes | QLD | Modified Madison City 40

Page 2 of 2
Thanks

I spent nearly a year working with the following builders before deciding on Clarendon:

* Stylemaster
* Porter Davis
* Metricon
* GJ Gardener Homes
* Couple custom home builders

Out of all of the above Clarendon provided the best value. Porter Davis was a close second though but Clarendon were willing to make the modifications I wanted.

I would recommend a couple of things though:

* Exclude main floor tiling from the contract. Beaumont Tiles wanted to charge me $60 per m2 for the builder range silver tiles (450x450) plus installation. I got better quality tiles from Dada Tiles in Sydney for $25 per m2 (800x800). Clarendon couldn’t exclude the bathroom tiling as it is a requirement for certification but they were happy for me to use the same tiler who is charging me $65 per m2 for the installation. I ended up saving over $30K in tiling costs alone.

* Exclude carpeting from the contract (Unfortunately, I realised too late to exclude this from the contract and it’s costing me an additional $10K). I ended up upgrading to the gold carpeting for the house and hardwood flooring for the rumpus room upstairs. This added about $15K total to the price on top of the included costs for carpeting. I found out later that I could have gotten the same carpet from the same vendor for $10K less than what Clarendon is charging me.

* Only get Clarendon to install the fan noggin where ever you want fans. Clarendon wanted to charge me something crazy like $250-$300 per fan. I opted to have them install the timber noggin so I could install the fans myself post handover. I brought a bunch of designer fans from the local auctions for $10 each and paid Clarendon $70 for each noggin and wiring.

My mentality with the build has been to only include or upgrade items which would be a major hassle to do post handover.
Such good information...thank you so much.

Out of curiosity, I see that you're building over 500 sq mtr house (hopefully that will be enough room lol). But if we liked one of Clarendon's plans and didn't want any changes, do you think it could be built for what they advertise them for. Or did you feel you had to upgrade/upsell? I know you had lots of modifications, awesome home by the way, but the standard Madison 40 is from $298,500. Do you think they would deliver that for $300,000?
rebe3719
Such good information...thank you so much.

Out of curiosity, I see that you're building over 500 sq mtr house (hopefully that will be enough room lol). But if we liked one of Clarendon's plans and didn't want any changes, do you think it could be built for what they advertise them for. Or did you feel you had to upgrade/upsell? I know you had lots of modifications, awesome home by the way, but the standard Madison 40 is from $298,500. Do you think they would deliver that for $300,000?

Realistically speaking, I don’t think so. There is a lot of gotchas that cause the price to increase. One thing you need to remember the base price they offer doesn’t include everything you will need for a completed home. The advertised price will get you about 85-90% there.

I would recommend adding an additional 15-20% on top of the base price.
[quote="Sarquiss":3tnt9x3k][quote="rebe3719":3tnt9x3k]Such good information...thank you so much.

Out of curiosity, I see that you're building over 500 sq mtr house (hopefully that will be enough room lol). But if we liked one of Clarendon's plans and didn't want any changes, do you think it could be built for what they advertise them for. Or did you feel you had to upgrade/upsell? I know you had lots of modifications, awesome home by the way, but the standard Madison 40 is from $298,500. Do you think they would deliver that for $300,000?[/quote:3tnt9x3k]

Realistically speaking, I don’t think so. There is a lot of gotchas that cause the price to increase. One thing you need to remember the base price they offer doesn’t include everything you will need for a completed home. The advertised price will get you about 85-90% there.

I would recommend adding an additional 15-20% on top of the base price.[/quote:3tnt9x3k]

I agree

Adding 20% is a safe bet
Work on the frame started yesterday. It should be complete in about two weeks according to the site supervisor. The first inspection of the slab and frame will occur once the frame is complete.

Hi Sarquiss,
We're in early stages of getting started with building Boston 42 in sydney, and just wanted to ask re tile u mentioned;

* Exclude main floor tiling from the contract. Beaumont Tiles wanted to charge me $60 per m2 for the builder range silver tiles (450x450) plus installation. I got better quality tiles from Dada Tiles in Sydney for $25 per m2 (800x800). Clarendon couldn’t exclude the bathroom tiling as it is a requirement for certification but they were happy for me to use the same tiler who is charging me $65 per m2 for the installation. I ended up saving over $30K in tiling costs alone.

Did you end up getting the 800x800 tiles? Did it work out cheaper to get them after handover? We are considering upgrading the included tiles to bigger ones, but have been told this will be about 10k extra. We're not happy with the 450x450 that is included.
But not willing to pay that much to upgrade to bigger tiles. So you recommend just take them all out and do it after handover?

Thanks
lozsyd
Hi Sarquiss,
We're in early stages of getting started with building Boston 42 in sydney, and just wanted to ask re tile u mentioned;

Did you end up getting the 800x800 tiles? Did it work out cheaper to get them after handover? We are considering upgrading the included tiles to bigger ones, but have been told this will be about 10k extra. We're not happy with the 450x450 that is included.
But not willing to pay that much to upgrade to bigger tiles. So you recommend just take them all out and do it after handover?

Thanks

Hi Lozsyd,

The house has only started being constructed. But I’ve put a hold on the tiles. It definitely worked out cheaper than going through the builder.

Check out Dada tiles in Sydney.
Great thanks! just checked them out! It does seem cheap but I guess i have to find tiler to do the tiles once I buy them.
Considering putting in timber floors after handover instead, but have to ask the builder to leave off trimming etc if so, bit of a headache.

We are leaving out carpet upstairs as the included ones are so awful! and such thin underlay so ur forced to upgrade!
I made the mistake of not excluding carpeting. I ended up upgrading them before realising I could have gotten it done post handover.

Clarendon are happy with me using their tiler. I’ll be dealing directly with him. He is charging about $60-$65 per m2
I too am looking at building a modified Madison City 40, but only to around 430sqm (we only have a 600sqm lot). I too was happy Clarendon are prepared to get their hands dirty and do a little more modifications than many large project builders.

I was just going to let them do floor covering but if we are talking 5 figures difference, I’ll reconsider that! Thanks for the heads up.
Related
20/04/2024
Gas Abolishment - Brisbane city council

General Discussion

Thanks for your advice, I will reach out to ombudsman

1/10/2023
Clarendon Boston or Saratoga

General Discussion

the stair balustrades? There is nothing special about these and I imagine literally every stair installer will be able to do this.

22/12/2023
Clarendon Eaves and Guttering Issue

General Discussion

The two 15mm holes are obviously not compliant. The Dept of Fair Trading would love to see this one! Do the gutters pool water after it stops raining? Although it's…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum