Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

house design advice - front door and laundry

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

I have received the working drawings and would like to share with you all and get some ideas. Here is what I can see

- Laundry seems to be bit smaller and thinking to making it bit big.
-Main entrance door is of 1020mm X 2340mm.. I had originally planned for 920mmX2340mm with a sidelight..
But my consultant advised that with the current dimensions, it will leave very tiny space for sidelight and advised me to go for wider entrance. What is your opinion guys.
- Any other thing which you can advise for improvement here.

Thanks
Jitender
My opinions …

When you talk about enlarging the laundry, what would you be putting in there which you think wants extra space? Are you thinking of internal clothes hanging for example? Could you achieve the same thing by asking the builder to extend the eaves forward in a straight line from where they are beside the bedroom, thus providing you with an undercover hanging/drying area outside the laundry?
Having said that, it looks as though the laundry could be made longer, so it ends next to the garage door, that would allow more room in the laundry for either drying space or a storage cupboard.

I like the idea of the slightly wider front door. By the time you incorporate the frame around the side-light, there will be pretty much no side-light! Plus moving in & out of your house will be easier with the wider door.

Overall it looks like a nice compact design … one thing I can't help wondering is if the butler's pantry is using-up space which might be better used elsewhere? If it will really get used then that's fine, if you're planning on selling-up soon that's also fine because they do look nice … but if you're living there for a while, then is there a more efficient way to use that space? Just an esoteric thought, I can't answer those questions.
Hi Forg, Thank you for your suggestions. I feel, I would go with wide entry door (1020mm) but thinking should the door be of 2340mm height. I am going with ceiling height 2.7 meter and its single storey house ( house width 8.6 meter including single garage) and the main entrance door will be without any brickwork above it, thats what my builder has told me.
Feeling confused should I go for it ( 1020mm X 2340mm )

Thank you
Plus, If I go for 1020mm x 2340mm door, and If I want to go for security door as well.. Then I am not sure will it be possible to a security door of this dimensions
Re: front door....I’ve have a 1020 x 2340 entering our main living area and I think at 2040 height it would look out of proportion. I think our entry is 1770mm and we have a standard 820 x 2040 with 2 side lights and it looks fine. But with yours @ around 1400mm width you would likely only fit one sidelight using an 820mm wide door....or like you say just go with a 1020 x 2340.

I would vote for the 1020 x 2340 (with some glass).
While we’re on the subject of doors...I would flip the 820 entering your living so it opens from the other side and doesn’t slightly extend (when open) over that nook area.

Also if it were my place I would just have a 1m wide opening (with plaster hamper) into your WIR. I think a door is overkill here, especially as you are using 720s. These are tight especially in Standard CSD form...as you actually don’t get the full 720....it around 60mm shorter. So be careful here. You can specify CSDs in ‘Flush to Jamb’ that fully open into the cavity. Only slightly more expensive...and also need an extra 50mm frame opening.
Also with 2700 high ceilings I would definitely upgrade all internal doors (incl robes etc) to 2340 high. 2040 will look very short with that height ceiling. With robes you get the added bonus of better access up high for storage.
I just checked Bunnings, and it seems that 1020mm x 2340mm is a fairly standard size for an entry door … well it is for Hume Doors at least. However they didn't seem to have any security doors in that size. I must admit, ours is 2340mm high & we've not installed a security door (I think a lot of people think them ugly).
Sorry to spam you! But with your 820 door into living area, I would go a glass unit (eg. Corinthian WIN21) so you get good light into that hallway when it is closed. Also consider going glass for the study...even if it is translucent.

With your kitchen I would chase more natural light and consider an over bench window if possible? Maybe a splashback window?

With your family room being quite long...you could square off the rear external wall and align dining wall with Alfresco (cleans up roof too). Push the whole pantry and kitchen incl. family rooms down the same distance. Then have the flexibility to add more space to those other rooms towards to front. Think of each bit of space as expensive and make best use of it.

Overall though I like the general design. It should be energy efficient too, particularly if you can get some decent solar access. Where is north?
thanks guys for your suggestions. the North is on where meals/ alfresco is.

If you can please also advice

- I am planning to increase Laundry size to 3m X 1.8m from current 2.7mX1.8m
-and what about introducing another window besides overhead cupboards in meals area. Or should i just leave it as it is for some wall paintings on this west side wall.

Some of the things which I going to put in post your suggestions are

- will go with it main entrance door - 1020mm X 2340mm
- internal doors- may remain with 2m height doors - budget constrains.I hope it wont look odd

- will consider door with glass connecting to main living area - for more natural light to come in
- will consider translucent glass for CSDs- of study room. Going forward I may use study as small lounge as well.
- may keep two CSDs in WIR as i am just thinking as if one family member can use it a dressing area as well without annoying other's sleep when one wants to get ready for early morning shift duty

thanks
Just remember though with those 720 CSDs if you don’t specify them as ‘flush to jamb’ you will only get around 660mm opening width. Nothing to stress about just be aware.

Re door heights....be aware that you reduce access to those too shelf areas unless you increase robe door heights. Again nothing to stress over but don’t get annoyed later on if they do your robe fitouts at say 1800mm heights and you only have a 200mm gap to squeeze larger items up top.
Related
10/09/2023
Laundry door placement v split level stairs

Windows & Doors

Move your linen into laundry and access laundry from your present linen space

31/01/2024
Front door issues

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

AS2047 Section 6 Page 31 speaks to Construction/Tolerances of Windows and external glazed doors in buildings Check also New South Wales Guide to Standards and Tolerances,…

18/02/2024
Footing advice and core fill advice for 600mm retaining wall

Paving & Concreting

Versaloc is a mortarless besser block system that still needs a properly engineered footing. If you just do a 400x200 footing it will fail in time. At 17m long you need it…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum