Building A New House
Jun 24, 2019 10:26 am
Hi all, one of the biggest layout issues/decisions I've had when finalizing my new home design is the position of the couch and TV in the back family room, which is part of an open living area that includes a kitchen, dining area and an alfresco with 2 sets of bi-fold doors. Essentially the issue is that regardless of which option we choose, the L shape modular lounge will be 'closing something off', in option 1 it's the kitchen, in option 2 its the alfresco/bi-fold doors and backyard area. We plan on having a feature wall come out from the wall, which will have the TV and a small fire place underneath, so we need to decide now on which wall we plan on having it
- Not closing off nice bi-fold doors, and transition to alfresco/outside
- TV on outside wall, minimizing level of sound going into home theater room adjacent
- Position and placement of couch gives a natural separation of zones in the open living area
- People watching TV won't see people come into kitchen etc unless they turn around, ie less distractions
- People on couch have back to kitchen
- 'Closing off' the family area due to position of couch
- Need to 'walk around' to sit on couch when coming from front of house
- Not closing off family area, when people arrive from front of house, people on couch don't have their back to them
- People on couch don't have backs to kitchen
- Don't need to walk around couch when go to sit on it coming from front of house
- Closing off nice bi-fold doors/transition to outdoor alfresco space and view of outside yard
- TV on adjacent wall to home theater would introduce significant noise into the theater room
- People watching TV could be visually distracted by people coming to get things from kitchen, lights coming on at night etc
What do you guys think? Option 1 or 2 is the way to go?
Re: Open Plan Family/Kitchen/Dining/Alfresco-TV & couch posi2
Jun 24, 2019 10:36 am
Firstly the tv will introduce noise into the next room regardless of whether it’s on either wall, unless it’s been sound treated it’s just how it is.
I’d go first option. I’m not a fan of walking into a living area and have everyone look directly at you, so backs to people entering is in my mind good. The tv and fireplace can be seen from the kitchen. The living area becomes a “destination” room rather than a thoroughfare. Sitting on couch gives nice views to outdoor area, especially at night if great garden lighting ambience is in place.
Re: Open Plan Family/Kitchen/Dining/Alfresco-TV & couch posi3
Jun 24, 2019 10:55 am
Option 1 would be my preferred if its the only choice because when working in kitchen can still view tv. and it still leaves alfresco area open for walking through.
I love L couches but in this layout i think you are better off with 2 straight rectangles like | _ | position and have the L shape in the home theatre.
You can still have 2x arm chairs facing the tv and have 2 sofas either side, something like this https://isurvived2009.com/i/kdenisco/14623/grey-couch-blue-chairs-gray-living-rooms-room-transitional-with-recessed-lighting-furniture-delightful-armchairs-and-accent-mode.jpg
Sign in or Join to reply to this Topic
chippySplash back for alfresco kitchenSplash back for alfresco kitchen
All depends on what look you are after. Stainless can be a bit in your face and can be difficult to keep streak free. You can go glass, tiles, stone, porcelain. One that I…
SergeyHelp needed to fix couch lawn in PerthHelp needed to fix couch lawn in Perth
Hello Trying to fix 50sqm of couch lawn at me folks place. Watched at number of videos that pretty much say 1. Treat for weeds 2. Treat for grubs etc 3. Apply pre…