Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Our First Home with My Homes WA, Perth

Page 2 of 5
Brickwork progress continued...

We built with myHomes and some small issues but our site supervisor has been great and any issues he has been onto it

Suzi_Q
We built with myHomes and some small issues but our site supervisor has been great and any issues he has been onto it

Hey Suzi. Great to hear that. Overall did you have a good build?
Brickwork now has been completed. Roof construction will start next week.

House is finally taking shape and we can now definitely get a gist of what it will feel like. Being a narrow lot the entrance/hallway part of the house does feel tight, but the open plan living at the back feel spacious, especially the stacker door leading into the alfresco and backyard. Once the roof is on, it will give us a better feel of where the light will come in and where it will be dark (like the hallway). If it's too dark we may have to look at putting skylights in.

We had our first inspection done by an external company for Plate Height stage. A few things to fix. Definitely gives us a peace of mind as we would of never of pick up on this kinds of building things.

The roof frame is now complete - starting to look like a house! The alfresco piers are up which now we can get a feel of the size.

Gutters, downpipes, roof cover and plumbing and electrical tubes / provisions are next to be completed, ready for the plasterer to commence.

Down pipes done. Roof cover now completed. Plaster and ceiling is next.

Now that the roof is done we definitely can see the hallway is dark. If we have any money leftover a skylight would be nice πŸ€ͺ

Hi chekii
Your progressing nicely. It's a great time to be building in the west. If you've got a good supervisor there's no shortage of tradies to get the work done in a timely manner.
I know what you mean about the hall way. That was the one thing we worked so hard to avoid in our design. Most of the builders kept coming back with designs that had the hallway. That's the reason we designed and built ourselves, just so we could avoid it.
A few solar tubes or skylights will help though so hopefully you can keep a few dollars up your sleeve at the end.
I'm enjoying following your build. Did you mention what area you are building. Obviously one of the established suburbs.
chippy
Hi chekii
Your progressing nicely. It's a great time to be building in the west. If you've got a good supervisor there's no shortage of tradies to get the work done in a timely manner.
I know what you mean about the hall way. That was the one thing we worked so hard to avoid in our design. Most of the builders kept coming back with designs that had the hallway. That's the reason we designed and built ourselves, just so we could avoid it.
A few solar tubes or skylights will help though so hopefully you can keep a few dollars up your sleeve at the end.
I'm enjoying following your build. Did you mention what area you are building. Obviously one of the established suburbs.

Hi Chippy. Thanks for your comment. Yeh looking back a central courtyard to break up the hallway would of been nice or maybe the living areas in the middle, but I do like how our living space opens up into the alfresco which will overlook a decent backyard. Hopefully a solar tube will do the trick. I'm building in Dianella 😊
Yeah, we opted for the living areas in the middle of the house with a big long courtyard. No hallway and it moved Our alfresco so it's not next to the neighbours, which we like.
We are in Yokine so just next suburb over.
Plastering has begun!

More plastering and ceiling has begun. The site is a mess, there's rubbish everywhere. Have contacted them to clean it up 😑.

We also told them to move a GPO in the master bedroom. The courtyard door that opens into the room is 920 and the GPO is located approx. at 940. We were told that it would be moved 100mm over before the plastering but it seems it hasn't been moved. What do you guys think, will the door hit the GPO?

chekii
Suzi_Q

Hey Suzi. Great to hear that. Overall did you have a good build?

Sorry for the delay. Have been so busy moving / filling in the home.
It was a little frustrating at the beginning due to a few things and possibly a stresses site supervisor who then quit and left us in a bit of a stick but then glen took over and got it all sorted for us! We’ve been in the house for a couple of months and their have been some things that have popped up but they have been great to come out and fix.
I’ve not ever thought it would be 100% perfect build as contractors quality can’t always be controlled but I believe service to date has been great.

Some pictures of our home ...

Before the white walls it will feel a little dark so see how you go when they get the next layer on.
Maybe look at the velux roof window over skylights

Suzi_Q
Before the white walls it will feel a little dark so see how you go when they get the next layer on.
Maybe look at the velux roof window over skylights

Thanks for the response. Your house is beautiful and love your facade! Similar colour choice to ours. Yeh their service has been great so far, when we have an issue they always try to find a solution which has been great.

We may get a mix of velux and sun tunnels. Will wait and see 😊
Visited the house after being away for 2 weeks and a lot has changed! Plastering is now finished. Windows and doors are to be finished today and we are now at lock up! Happy with our front door choice.

Cabinetry is in! Loving the colour Oyster Grey in Natural for our colour choice. Very subtle and I think it will carry well over the years. All doors are in - glad we chose solid doors for the rooms and ensuite. The hollow doors are terrible at blocking sound. Happy with our kitchen layout, much bigger than our current kitchen and lots of storage! We cook a lot and currently find it hard when there is 2 people trying to do things in the kitchen. The same with our ensuite. Now we have two basins it won't have to wait for the other person to finish.

Study door:

Laundry door:

Laundry:

Kitchen:

Scullery:

Bathroom:

Ensuite:

Master bedroom courtyard door:
Looking good!
kester
Looking good!

Thank you 😊
Visited the house today. No one was working so all the photos I took were from the outside. Having our tile meeting next week. Christmas/New Year shut down period is coming 😩.. wonder how much they will get done before then.

Laundry:
β€’ The laminex top in on. Since we extended the top to cover the sink, washing machine and void we decided to save cost and went with laminate instead of stone, with the pattern being the closest to the stone we have in kitchen and bathrooms. When I first saw it I was unsure. Still unsure, but maybe when the floor tiles and splashback is in it might grow on me. Maybe we should of gone for a total different look. πŸ₯΄πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ It's the laundry so not too much of a big deal for me.

WIP:
β€’ Shelves have been put in. The pantry is double the size of what we have now. Maybe now I can actually find things haha.

Kitchen:
β€’ Overhead cabinets have been fully installed including over the fridge. Loving the handlesless cupboards and undermount exhaust fan. Looks very neat. So much storage πŸ€—πŸ˜

We were thinking about handlesless drawers as well but couldn't justify the extra cost.

Had our tile meeting today. Can't wait to see the kitchen splashback which is white subway tile laid 45 degree herringbone. The tile has a ripple texture throughout it. Bathrooms floor and wall tile is the same charcoal colour throughout. Was second guessing myself with the wall choice, maybe should of gone something different to floor but I guess we will see. Water proofing is done and the ceilings have been painted. Kitchen and bathroom benchtops will be done next week and tiling should start soon after that.

Garage floor is done:

Minor bedroom robes:

WIL:
Broom recess is 400mm but now looking at the linen size we could of made it bigger to fit the vacuum.

Laundry:

WIR:
We changed the height of the rail from 1700 afl to 2000.

Laundry cupboard:

WIP:
Related
9/04/2024
First Avenue Homes Experience

General Discussion

Looks like they are still building.....

28/04/2024
First time build: Custom narrow riverside home in WA

Building A New House

Looks promising! Hope the weather holds for you.

8/11/2023
Our house was beautiful until Distinctive Homes destroyed ou

General Discussion

of course there are legal avenues. You've already mentioned it. Sue them. I find it odd that lawyers wouldnt be willing to take on the case, given CCT evidence and…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum