Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Tips on building & private inspectors

Page 1 of 2
Hi guys,

I’ve had a look at some previous threads talking about getting private building inspectors to come in at different stages to check. We plan to do this as well.

However, I noticed that there was some debate about many private inspectors not having the qualifications (structural engineers)? so where would I be able to find an actual qualified inspector and how much would this cost? The companies I have looked at come down to approx $1800 for all the stages but I’m concerned after hearing about the qualification issue.

I also read about someone talking about pre contract consultations. The inspection companies I’ve found don’t have this option, so are there any recommendations as to who to go with for this part? We haven’t signed the contract yet. Would this just be going through the contracts etc with us to help us identify possible issues that we may miss?

Is there anything else I should do (other reports?) on top of this? What should I watch out for?

Tips would be great as this is our first time building. General tips for building would also be great!

Contacts/recommendations would be greatly appreciated! I’m located in VIC, building in Melbourne (within 20km of CBD). Going with Metricon.

Thanks
Hi Reiri36

You don't have to have any qualifications to call yourself a building inspector at least in Victoria. My advice would be to look at how much experience a person has had in the building industry. My personal recommendation would be Building Expert on this forum. He is highly skilled, supportive and will do everything he can to protect your project.

Building Expert also does pre contract signing consultations.
Here are the qualifications and limitation for various building professions
1. Architect, Landscape Architect, 4 years University they are licensed Designers, but anyone can submit designs/plans?
2. Engineers, Structural/Civil, Mechanical, Chemical, Electrical, 4 Years University they are licensed as Engineers, only engineers can submit engineering Design and certify such..
3. Building Consultants/Project manages, 3 years University Degree, they are not necessarily licensed, but anyone can call themselves a PM?
4. Building Surveyors, 3 Year University Degree, they are licensed to check the NCC only, They are not able to check non-compliance to the NCC or other approved alternate Engineered Solutions. They will simply tell you its non compliant or its not in the NCC, hire an engineer?
Most professionals have Indemnity Insurance but it does't extend outside of their areas of expertise
etc,etc
Unfortunately, the current system limits any above professional with good intentions of helping clients
Therefore clients must insist on more and there are many things that they can do themselves
OT, Engineers celebrate 50 Years the First Moon Landing,

Yet we cant send data & checks to and from a building site?
hth
In the end what I would like to know what difference a building inspector will/could do if he/she finds a problem, say a wall not been correctly levelled. Does he/she have any power at all to approach the builders/company? and say "correct that or else".
I think after reading lots of bad comments about reputable companies that it may well be money well spent but I have no ground for this opinion.
A building consultant cannot direct the builder, they provide the owner with a report that creates a paper trail and the good ones can also give expert evidence at a tribunal should things escalate that far.

A good building consultant also keeps the SS on his toes because bad workmanship not noticed or bothered with by the SS will reflect badly on him.

Trade standards are low and the SS will not know the applicable Standards applicable to all trades. In fact, many/most builders and tradies do not know all Standards. Apart from attitude, a main reason for this is the high cost of each Australian Standard booklet. The NCC was previously also expensive and updated yearly and there were few annual sales but it is freely available online to everyone now.
In my case building with Metricon I employed an inspector and learnt from him by accompanying him on the inspections. I then bought the necessary tools and inspected myself every week in the company of the SS. I also engaged NSWDFT to inspect. I documented and photographed every identified variance to standards and sent this to Metricon in a spreadsheet supporting the NSWDFT rectification order. Amending this as defects were corrected or negotiated. The construction standards are readily available from state governments and the inspection tools are inexpensive at Bunnings. Many times I was told by Metricon that defects had been corrected but upon checking they weren’t. Some defects took a few gos to correct. Try 5 times for bathroom waterproofing! You have a contractual right to inspect your build and reasonable access is once a week, or more regularly after works are done. Do not pay the progress payments unless the work that is reasonably expected to be complete and defect free for each stage has been done properly. Don’t wait for surprises when it’s too late, or believe Metricons verbal assurances that they will fix things later. Often they won’t.
I’m just worried about missing things when I go to inspect, as I can’t have an inspector with me every time I go (which would likely be 1-4 times a week). Any tips on this? Still a bit confused about this.

Like Norfolk said, noticed issues & had to tell them multiple times fix it i.e. bathroom waterproofing. I’m concerned I may not be able to identify it as still ‘defective’ after they’ve told me they’ve “fixed it”, or even find this problem in the first place.

Does anyone have any good building inspectors to recommend?
Housepect were good. Also make sure you understand the standards and the work. don’t accept the builders assertions it’s ‘fixed’ Their KPI is finish the building stage ASAP to get the next payment so fixed means something different to them! Quality is not a KPI in Metricons case. If they feel you are naive they may take advantage of this. Make the builder explain things and don’t accept anything until you can be sure it’s ‘fixed’ and you fully understand it. You are paying $500k plus and should demand quality. Unfortunately Metricons business model does not include any quality assurance process for the build, it’s all false marketing and sales representations about quality with no substance behind it.
Reiri36
I’m just worried about missing things when I go to inspect, as I can’t have an inspector with me every time I go (which would likely be 1-4 times a week).

Do you know that you need the builder's permission to do this?
SaveH2O
Reiri36
I’m just worried about missing things when I go to inspect, as I can’t have an inspector with me every time I go (which would likely be 1-4 times a week).

Do you know that you need the builder's permission to do this?

As the land owner you have the right of access to your land under consumer law , they can only prevent you from entering if they had a lease , you have given them a licence to build a house on your land
Consumer law is above what they put in a contract.
They can issue a stop work notice on ohs grounds if you become a nuisance.
If they were like our builders the site was never locked gates and fences always left open along with house even when lock up was reached. Anybody could walk in off street under these circumstances.
Tim65
As the land owner you have the right of access to your land under consumer law , they can only prevent you from entering if they had a lease , you have given them a licence to build a house on your land
Consumer law is above what they put in a contract.

I was refering to a new home buyer turning unanannounced 3-4 times a week. The owner and/or their appointed representative do have a right to visit but the site is under the builder's control and there are also OHS laws to abide by. The owner does need permission to enter the site.

Tim65
If they were like our builders the site was never locked gates and fences always left open along with house even when lock up was reached. Anybody could walk in off street under these circumstances.

What you have described is totally unacceptable and a bad reflection on the builder.
Reiri36
I’m just worried about missing things when I go to inspect, as I can’t have an inspector with me every time I go (which would likely be 1-4 times a week). Any tips on this? Still a bit confused about this.

Like Norfolk said, noticed issues & had to tell them multiple times fix it i.e. bathroom waterproofing. I’m concerned I may not be able to identify it as still ‘defective’ after they’ve told me they’ve “fixed it”, or even find this problem in the first place.

Does anyone have any good building inspectors to recommend?

Ok, There are a number of really good and informative answers. I believe that as customers the only fair chance we've got to be successful is to share information.
Apologies for that, I meant to add this link to a document that helps with inspections

https://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/__da ... rances.pdf

Download the NSW Guide to Standards and Tolerances 2017 (PDF, 2045.25 KB)

Cheers
I'm afraid I'm going to have to eat my words above in post 2. I stand corrected by Building Expert.

In Victoria now in order to register as a Building Inspector, either Limited or Unlimited, you need to complete either an Advanced Diploma or a Bachelors Degree. You don't ever have to have built anything however.

Also Building Inspector is a name legally limited to those who are registered building inspectors for mandatory statutory inspections for a Building Surveyor so not what you are after if I understand you correctly.

Building Expert is a building consultant or property inspection expert and he has been a builder himself.
The consultant said it would be fine to visit, and by 1-4 times a week I included just watching from outside (i.e. across the road, for example when they’re doing the slabs and framework etc). I had read posts and it seemed like lots of people very visiting multiple times a week so I assumed this wouldn’t be an issue. Not sure how we’ll go.
Hi everyone, I'm looking to engage a private building inspector for my build, and wanted to check at which stages of the build people used the inspectors?
I have had quotes from 2 different companies, one offers 4 or 5 stage inspection, and another says only 2 inspection is necessary?? (Pre-wall lining and on completion)
I'm not sure which one would be better?

Thanks!
lozsyd
and another says only 2 inspection is necessary?? (Pre-wall lining and on completion)
I'm not sure which one would be better?

Sounds like the second one is trying to secure their appointment with the lure of a lower price. A slab inspection is vital.
This is what he said; I'm so confused!!

As a Forensic investigator into residential compliance for a builder to inspect at slab and frame stages, it is unsubstantiated as the designing Structural Engineer certifies the slab which is your warranty
The water-proofer and the PCA (Council) certifies their waterproofing which again is your warranty
To inspect at just frame (pre lock up stage) is a waste of time as these works are incomplete
It is just a money grab to do inspections at those stages and you don’t need it

any thoughts??
lozsyd
As a Forensic investigator into residential compliance for a builder to inspect at slab and frame stages, it is unsubstantiated as the designing Structural Engineer certifies the slab which is your warranty

Is this directly quoted text? If so, it is unprofessional garbled grammar.

You are in NSW, do slab engineers inspect the slab pre pour where you are? If not, then how can slab engineers give certification and warranty?

There are numerous cases on this forum of bad slabs, some haven't even been the correct height.
Yes,
it's a directly quoted text!

Oh i have no idea about whether slab engineers inspect the slab pre pour!
I also emailed another company and he also said he usually does the 2 inspections. However reading the forum it seems all 4 or 5 stages are crucial!!

Might have to go with the first one who were the only ones to offer the 4/5 inspections as a package
Related
24/10/2023
Independent Building Inspectors - I had my first one

Building A New House

That is a really good attitude Akin to you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. I do enjoy watching that tik tok inspector from Victoria but he does go a little…

20/02/2024
Conveyancing & property inspectors for new home build?

Building A New House

If you are in Victoria you have a statutory right to your own building inspector regardless of builder's consent. No negotiations are required. However the builder will…

17/06/2023
Modular above ground pool over Private Sewer line

General Discussion

Hi everyone, Looking for some advise. We are about to build an above ground pool in our backyard. There is a private sewer line running under the pool at 1.6m…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum