Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Process of going to Fair Trading , and is it even worth it?

Page 1 of 1
Can anyone explain the fair trading process, and is it even worth it?

Long story short, we took handover of our house in Dec 2018. Immediately we noticed a large volume of tiling defects in all our bathrooms and balcony. This included grout missing in sections, tiles with defective marks, grout that would turn to powder when touched, discoloured grout, lippage, and tiles laid unevenly.

Over the course of 8 weeks I’ve been at home two days a week to allow for the majority of these defects to be rectified.

We are now at a stalemate with the builder over two remaining walls (with a feature tile). There is one section in each wall where the tiles do not line up straight. The rest of the wall is perfect.

The tile company initially committed to fixing these remaining defects however the builder is now claiming it is within the standards and tolerances and therefore they do not need to do anything further.
We suspect it is a decision based on cost. They cannot source enough spare tiles from the same batch which means they would need to re-do the entire wall with a new batch. This in turn means removal of toilets, shower screens, mirrors, tapware, and re applying waterproofing etc. Not to mention the potential to damage floor or other wall tiles.

We’ve had a horror build with this company from the beginning, so part of us want to fight this at every avenue possible to make them accountable for their poor quality work. We would love to see them be blasted their bullying techniques…….. but……. Is it actually worth going to fair trading?

If they were to be forced into making the repairs the inconvenience to us would be huge. Another couple of months at least.

Should we just let it go and move on for the sake of our own sanity?
My advice is if the defects are mostly cosmetic I would consider letting them go. But anything that will potentially impact the longer term structural integrity of the building I would definitely push for rectification work.
I presume the grout defects have been rectified. If only you can notice the tile alignment I wouldn’t worry but you’d think that there would be a reason for the misalignments, or just bad workmanship. It’s a hell of a lot of upheavel to do the full reconstruct and then that’s if you are able to make them do it. I’m like darb74 if they’ve fixed the obvious defects then forget it no one will notice.
Related
16/11/2023
Steel sheds. Worth going one with steel frame?

General Discussion

Hi I am wanting some opinions about the build of a steel shed I am going to get one about 4.5 x 2.5 m steel shed and the height will be about 2.3-2.4m high The one I am…

20/10/2023
Replacing masonite in an old home with a fair bit of soil mo

General Discussion

Hi, we live in an area where the black soil is prone to a lot of movement. We have an old 50's house with masonite everywhere and nails popping out, warping, rusted etc.…

29/08/2023
Landscape construction drawings and process

Landscape & Garden Design

Thanks very much! And would the landscaper/contractor generally involve the engineer or is that something the client would do? Thanks for your help

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum