Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Quality of brickwork under render - what is acceptable?

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

Building in a new estate on Brisbane southside. Still in the pre-construction stage.

Walking around I've noticed majority of the builds in progress (from major project builders) have some pretty average quality brickwork, all of which will be rendered as per the estate's covenant.

I was disappointed to see that the builder we are going with had some of if not the worst brickwork of the bunch (image attached). No doubt I will end up with same SS and tradesmen so want to avoid this at all costs.

Understand that it will all be rendered, but my understanding is if it wasn't rendered would this be acceptable? I almost want to bring this photo up when we go to sign our contract and see how they justify it?

Also if they are using a cheaper brick for all the rendered areas, should we be seeking out a credit?

Appreciate any comments!

If you are rendering, it is logical they would use the cheapest bricks they can get and brickies won't be focusing too much on the visual quality of the brickwork. But as long as those will be covered with render, I really don't see any point for worrying here. Your bricks are not structural.
Alex you are 100% correct. For render they use cheap bricks called commons which are specifically designed to hold the render.. The photo you have posted actually shows quite reasonable quality so I wouldn't worry
In regards to asking for credit for cheaper bricks, no you are not entitiled to it, the builder would have costed the job, using commons and render.
Related
30/10/2023
is this brickwork acceptable

Building A New House

I wanted to get some thoughts on the quality of workmanship on the following brickwork? are there specific clauses in Australian Standards which relate…

1/08/2023
Is this fence acceptable?

General Discussion

Give it 4 weeks and you won't even notice it

7/08/2023
Acceptable wait time for email response to question from sma

Owner Builder Forum

how imperative is the timing of the answer?

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum