Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building with Fairmont Homes NSW - Balmoral 42

Page 2 of 3
jagberg
Im considering using them for a custom build. Its between them, Meridian Homes, King Homes and GJ Gardner. How are your builds going? Were there any structural issues that havent been fixed yet?

We still are yet to have all the issues resolved. Many "fixes" have just created more issues.

Structuarly we've had two roof leaks since handover, and the fixed leaked was not fixed properly and was still letting some in.

We had plaster edge beeding used as a make shift expansion joint, and to to this date they can't install a front pivot door properly...

make up your own mind but i certianly wouldnt't be recommending them to prospective buyers.
Hi, Am about to pay initial fees for tender. Just curious, as the reviews in product reviews looks looks all good. Thx
My last post was July 2021, it's now Jan 2022 and I'm still awaiting issues to be resolved from handover back in May 2020. Their handling of the whole process has been extremely poor as well.

From what I've been told it appears they have now lost more staff as well just before Christmas shutdown. I'll be going to fair trading once they reopen, I've given them enough chances to resolve everything, they attended in

Not saying your build might be different experience, but certianly I've experienced almost nothing but issues in the last 12-18 months with Fairmont Homes NSW.
Gildea
My last post was July 2021, it's now Jan 2022 and I'm still awaiting issues to be resolved from handover back in May 2020. Their handling of the whole process has been extremely poor as well.

From what I've been told it appears they have now lost more staff as well just before Christmas shutdown. I'll be going to fair trading once they reopen, I've given them enough chances to resolve everything, they attended in

Not saying your build might be different experience, but certianly I've experienced almost nothing but issues in the last 12-18 months with Fairmont Homes NSW.

Thanks for the quick inputs, but unable to understand in product reviews except one everybody gave 5 star reviews, so little bit confused, From your comments it appears you are having unresolved issues with them
Venkata
Gildea

Thanks for the quick inputs, but unable to understand in product reviews except one everybody gave 5 star reviews, so little bit confused, From your comments it appears you are having unresolved issues with them

I imagine some people would have positive experiences, or perhaps their builds where less complex, different supervisors, different sub contractors, lowever expectations etc.

All I can do is tell factual and accurate experince of what we have been through with Fairmont Homes NSW, and based on my experience I refuse to recommend them to other people. I will be posting on Product Review once everything is resolved to provide a truthful and accurate account of my experiences.

Not saying its true, however another user has reported being bribed by Fairmont Homes NSW to remove a poor review on product review: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=98233

"They come across very unprofessional and they were trying to offer $700 to me to take my review down on product review site"
I find the Facebook groups have been helpful and normally has a lot of members in each group. There wasn't one for Fairmont so I created one. It would be great if you could join and contribute.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/5961856 ... ?ref=share
Gildea

We are thinking of building the Balmoral 42 too. But after reading your experience, we are having second thoughts now. What sort of roofing finish you have, colorbond or tiles?
caphe
Gildea

We are thinking of building the Balmoral 42 too. But after reading your experience, we are having second thoughts now. What sort of roofing finish you have, colorbond or tiles?

We went with colour bond roof.

After the several repairs, so fair (touch wood), there hasn't been any leaks. In saying that there hasn't been a major storm to test it out! There has been a few down poor's and seems to have held up alright.
Gildea
caphe
Gildea

We went with colour bond roof.

After the several repairs, so fair (touch wood), there hasn't been any leaks. In saying that there hasn't been a major storm to test it out! There has been a few down poor's and seems to have held up alright.

Thanks for the feedback. Hope, everything goes well. Any other issues left unresolved?
caphe
Thanks for the feedback. Hope, everything goes well. Any other issues left unresolved?

Plenty, nothing structural / major though. Just plenty of little things, (e.g. painting issues, sliding doors move to much in rollers so can't lock, front door doesn't close properly, stacker door frame has damage etc)
Hi Guys, long time lurker on this thread. Unfortunately I hadn't revisited since Gildea posted on handover, at which point you were reasonably happy. Since then I relied too heavily on Product Review where the reviews are all glowing testimonials for pre-construction. Just revisited this thread because things aren't going so well for us since signing contract. Now realising they have form in this area. I note there hasn't been a single review on Product Review for a completed property in about 7 months. I'm fearing the worst here!

caphe Gildea Any updates from your end? I am trying to join the FB group
Hi Skipper,

I apologise if this doesn't make sense, I'm writing this on my phone.

We are now 4 months post hand over. Communication does lack alot, especially when you don't get a response for a week or two.

At this stage we are still waiting on handover items to be completed.

In the past week, we had issue with one power circuit which didn't have any power. My wife called Fairmont and told them we heard a crackle noise behind our power board and our aircon and solar stopped working.

After the call, we received an email back, which was 5 days after I had sent one. I wonder if my wife didn't call them and we did have this issue, we wouldn't of received a return email.

With the power issue, the affected circular had no power but the circuit breaker didnt trip and was still on. I powered down each circuit, and when I did, I heard a crackle behind one of the breakers. Anyway they sent out a sparky that day and fixed it. They also fixed our front sensor to our front facade lights, which hadn't worked since day dot. That was a mismatch in wiring.

We are still waiting on our driveway to be sealed, one side of the house to be water proofed and filled in. We have the dead bolt on our laundry door which won't lock and is hitting the door jamb. The paint work is not good at all in some parts.

I've got a list of around 40+ items but nothing major, except really bad creaky floor in our main bedroom and walk-in wardrobe. It drives me insane. This was something I brought up in April last year and was told they had an increment reader to determine if the floor is ok.

The creaking wasnt noticed on our walk through, but obviously living there, you pick up so much more.

I guess we'll see how they go with completing the items still required from hand over. I guess we are only 4 months in.

We will look at building again in the future, but I'm afraid I don't think it'll be with Fairmont. Not at this stage anyway. I feel like I'm being picky and annoying with things but some communication can go a long way.
Stu84
Hi Skipper,

We are now 4 months post hand over. Communication does lack alot, especially when you don't get a response for a week or two.

In the past week, we had issue with one power circuit which didn't have any power. My wife called Fairmont and told them we heard a crackle noise behind our power board and our aircon and solar stopped working.

After the call, we received an email back, which was 5 days after I had sent one. I wonder if my wife didn't call them and we did have this issue, we wouldn't of received a return email.

With the power issue, the affected circular had no power but the circuit breaker didnt trip and was still on. I powered down each circuit, and when I did, I heard a crackle behind one of the breakers. Anyway they sent out a sparky that day and fixed it. They also fixed our front sensor to our front facade lights, which hadn't worked since day dot. That was a mismatch in wiring.

We are still waiting on our driveway to be sealed, one side of the house to be water proofed and filled in. We have the dead bolt on our laundry door which won't lock and is hitting the door jamb. The paint work is not good at all in some parts.

I've got a list of around 40+ items but nothing major, except really bad creaky floor in our main bedroom and walk-in wardrobe. It drives me insane. This was something I brought up in April last year and was told they had an increment reader to determine if the floor is ok.

The creaking wasnt noticed on our walk through, but obviously living there, you pick up so much more.

I guess we'll see how they go with completing the items still required from hand over. I guess we are only 4 months in.

We will look at building again in the future, but I'm afraid I don't think it'll be with Fairmont. Not at this stage anyway. I feel like I'm being picky and annoying with things but some communication can go a long way.

Does not looks like a good experience at all
In parts, it's frustrating because the lack of communication, but in saying that we do love our home, warts and all. Don't get me wrong, our 2nd site supervisor was great, but I guess it just comes down to now living in the home and noticing more.

I don't understand how there is no reviews about this stuff on product review. I'll leaving one, when things are fixed and our handover items are completed. It'll be our honest account of our journey.
Skipper_70
Hi Guys, long time lurker on this thread. Unfortunately I hadn't revisited since Gildea posted on handover, at which point you were reasonably happy. Since then I relied too heavily on Product Review where the reviews are all glowing testimonials for pre-construction. Just revisited this thread because things aren't going so well for us since signing contract. Now realising they have form in this area. I note there hasn't been a single review on Product Review for a completed property in about 7 months. I'm fearing the worst here!

caphe Gildea Any updates from your end? I am trying to join the FB group

Join the FB Page, Good Number of past and current Fairmont customers are there. Am waiting for my tender from Fairmont so fingers crossed, after looking your experiences here appears not so encouraging
Stu84
I don't understand how there is no reviews about this stuff on product review. I'll leaving one, when things are fixed and our handover items are completed. It'll be our honest account of our journey.

I don't understand how someone investing their life savings in their own home trusts advice on a web site that reviews Toasters, electric bikes and TVs it's not that you can send back your new build after complaining to consumer protection.
Same can be said with the green shed site, you don't see homebuilding posts next to "How to build a Chook Shed"
There's a credibility problem can't you see it?
StructuralBIMGuy
Stu84

I don't understand how someone investing their life savings in their own home trusts advice on a web site that reviews Toasters, electric bikes and TVs it's not that you can send back your new build after complaining to consumer protection.
Same can be said with the green shed site, you don't see homebuilding posts next to "How to build a Chook Shed"
There's a credibility problem can't you see it?

I get it.

I never said I trusted advice on these sites. I'm just posting my experience.

Fairmont have ask us to post a review on the product review website. We haven't done it yet, because we will give them the time and opportunity to complete what needs to be completed and fix what they need to fix.

At the end of the day, anyone can write what they will on the internet. The credibility is in the facts.
Stu84
I never said I trusted advice on these sites. I'm just posting my experience.

Then Why should Battlers and Punters trust your reviews? Then they are FAKE!
Stu84
Fairmont have ask us to post a review on the product review website. We haven't done it yet, because we will give them the time and opportunity to complete what needs to be completed and fix what they need to fix.

Is that your leverage to get defects and non compliance issues fixed?
"I wont give you a good review... " as an engineer in the industry that's laughable... most builders don't care squat about defects they'll tell you its acceptable in the current climate. When your warranties run out then where are you going to post looking for advice. I doubt it will be on product review.
Stu84
At the end of the day, anyone can write what they will on the internet. The credibility is in the facts.

Non-Compliance is shaping up to be the next Big issue for Home builders
where they require Data, facts, proof and certification.
Stu84
Hi Skipper,

Not sounding great to be honest. Glad you got a liveable house, but hardly the dream they sell!
Send a polite letter to Fairmont Homes NSW's nominated representative (by registerred mail) requesting they fix all the outstanding defects listed by x (reasonable) date. As an alternative, offer to help and organise this professionally for them with the appropriate trades plus a small 'management' margin for yourself, if they prefer.

Request their written response within 5 working daysl detailing how they would like to proceed and comittement to the timings. If they continue to muck you around, after the reasonable time and a further letter of your offer, commission the rectification works yourself and and claim all the costs back from them via NSW Fair Trading or NCAT. Keep everything in writing to support your 'patient and reasonable' actions and claims later - if these are necessary. Share your honest and balanced experience with Fairmont Homes NSW widely on social media.
Related
8/01/2024
Mojo Homes, Enigma 46 - Gables NSW

Building A New House

Hi all, We are considering Enigma 46 from Mojo Homes in Gables, NSW. Has anyone built with Mojo and any pointers and feedback. Also, if anyone has built similar design…

26/04/2024
Cost of building an acerage home (the hils, NSW)

Building A New House

having built on acres several times i suggest that you also need to add the cost of a sewerage system and any associated fencing, water tanks with associated extra…

1/05/2023
preliminary agreement deposit limit in NSW

Building A New House

In NSW the maximum deposit for building work is 5% until the builder provides HBCF insurance

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum