Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

overhanging masonary and mortar defects

Page 1 of 1
Hi there
issue: overhanging brickwork
During prehandover inspection, we noticed that garage wall overhangs the base slab by approx 55mm on one side and 30mm on the other side.
our builder said he will fix it by filling with concrete underneath but I don,t think that's the right way of fixing it.
could you please advise ?
Also I'm sending the brickwork done in garage : messy and uneven mortor joints, cracks in the bricks.
other defects as well.

are they acceptable?
thank you.
If the picture for the garage wall is inside garage wall. Then yeah, pretty common for messy mortar... Since brick layer will only treat one side as the "perfection" side.

The corner, they can just put flexi joint sealer in it.. Pretty common.. And something very easy for your builder to sort out.
Check this link for the overhanging brickwork:

http://anewhouse.com.au/2014/02/overhanging-brickwork/
MyFirst
If the picture for the garage wall is inside garage wall. Then yeah, pretty common for messy mortar... Since brick layer will only treat one side as the "perfection" side.

The corner, they can just put flexi joint sealer in it.. Pretty common.. And something very easy for your builder to sort out.

Thank you so much for your reply.
bashworth
Check this link for the overhanging brickwork:

http://anewhouse.com.au/2014/02/overhanging-brickwork/

Thank you so much for sharing this link.
I’ll speak to builder to rectify this defects accordingly as there is approx 55 mm overhang that is far more than 15mm.
Not sure if they agree to fix it that way or not.
Related
9/05/2023
Retaining wall defects - Advice needed

General Discussion

Hi All, I engaged a tradie to install concrete retaining wall 600-800mm high over 32 meters in Victoria. Sleepers are 200*75*2000 mm installed over 17 steel posts. I…

2/08/2023
DBI Claim for Defects

General Discussion

Sorry forgot to mention I am in Victoria.

19/11/2023
Help Please? Building, bathroom potential defects & no HBCF

General Discussion

All 3 items listed are defects and are of concern. Please seek qualified independent inspector and/or legal advice for your state.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum