Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Colorbond roof

Page 2 of 2
We are building a 42 square house with Metricon, plus a 6m x 4m shed and have upgraded all of it Colorbond for $4130 (295m2 total)
for what it worth; here in Canberra builders are charging (at least in my case) almost same price for colorbond and concrete tiles. I initially choose colorbond due to its air-tightness (fewer gaps), at least R1 insulation provided by anticon blanket, being dust-proof etc.

Later we went with terracotta tiles purely based on aesthetics, which cost $4K on top of concrete tiles.
shokel1975
We are building a 42 square house with Metricon, plus a 6m x 4m shed and have upgraded all of it Colorbond for $4130 (295m2 total)

that sounds like a fair price
Buildingindoreen
Hi all

We are building our first home and have been quoted $8k for a Colorbond roof through our builder for a 30sq double storey home. I feel like this is quite ecxy - looking for opinions?

When you say colorbond, are you meaning standard colorbont sheets or klip Lok? cause there is a huge price difference between the two. This is Kilp Lok which is generally used on roofs with a pitch of less than 3 degrees but can be used on any roof.

All the fixings are hidden for a clean look, with the exception of screws in the barge cappings

shokel1975

Does the pricing include the upgrade to roof insulation? They said that when using colorbond as roof, the insulation must be upgraded so you won't hear rain drops and is quieter too.
SejaeD
Buildingindoreen
Hi all

We are building our first home and have been quoted $8k for a Colorbond roof through our builder for a 30sq double storey home. I feel like this is quite ecxy - looking for opinions?

When you say colorbond, are you meaning standard colorbont sheets or klip Lok? cause there is a huge price difference between the two. This is Kilp Lok which is generally used on roofs with a pitch of less than 3 degrees but can be used on any roof.

All the fixings are hidden for a clean look, with the exception of screws in the barge cappings

Is Klip Lok more expensive? I didn't know this is available as I've never seen one in our area. I love this look better.
ligongl
for what it worth; here in Canberra builders are charging (at least in my case) almost same price for colorbond and concrete tiles. I initially choose colorbond due to its air-tightness (fewer gaps), at least R1 insulation provided by anticon blanket, being dust-proof etc.

Later we went with terracotta tiles purely based on aesthetics, which cost $4K on top of concrete tiles.

Same concern for us. I love the look of tiles but colorbond is more sealed. This is something that we really have to think before we make our final decision on our studio appointment but whether tiles or colorbond, I'll be happy as long as the house has roof
basicbeans
SejaeD
Buildingindoreen
Hi all

Is Klip Lok more expensive? I didn't know this is available as I've never seen one in our area. I love this look better.

Unfortunately it is more expensive. Ours was about $2k more than colorbond but it is a much nicer look
basicbeans
SejaeD
Buildingindoreen
Hi all

it comes down to the pitch of the roof. Over 3 degrees colorbond is fine, under 3 you need Klip Lok. Our original builder got the truss design wrong so a large section was only 1.5-2 degrees so we were forced to use it, but it does look amazing.

The section in the photo is 8 degrees
basicbeans
shokel1975

Does the pricing include the upgrade to roof insulation? They said that when using colorbond as roof, the insulation must be upgraded so you won't hear rain drops and is quieter too.

They told us that it would include sarking. I don't know much about it, but I think in addition to the sarking we have the standard insulation.
Melbournevic
Buildingindoreen
I heard back from our builder today. It’s going o be an extra $4k to have the flat tiles as opposed to the curved in order to meet our estate’s design guidelines. Still prefer this to $8k for Colorbond!

Our builder is charging us $5 per sqm to upgrade to bristille classic similar to this. I think it will cost us around $2k in total.

I prefer this with shape than flat roof tile

Thanks for this! I love the look of these tiles, I haven't seen them before. I'll ask my builder what the cost would be for something like this.
We built in Ballarat in 2018 with colourbond roof but it was included in specifications. We in a near estate there is a mixture of colourbond and tiles. I must admit that I prefer the colourbond roofs.
We are having to have a colorbond roof as required by the developer of our estate. The builder has added on $6,300 for having colorbond. I have queried this as, if the house comes with a tiled roof with the lesser spaced trusses and possibly having to use hardwood ,where would the extra come in and why shouldnt there be a deduction for tiled roof. I haved looked around and colorbonds price is about $12 to $15 a square meter.Add labour approx double and the price comes to about that magic $6,300. He says the price of a tiled roof has been deducted ha ha. I think the reason why builders add this on is basically dishonesty, by quoting for a relativly cheap house but making it up in any way they can, and things wont change.
ahabmyth
He says the price of a tiled roof has been deducted ha ha.

Deducted less the usual 20% mark up. They do that on other changes.
For a 30 sq home that would mean 15sq of roofing. We built a 32sq home with Henley and it had a hardwood roof and tiles. The builder if hardwood roof couldnt really add on for added trusses so you should be cheaper never mind anything extra for colorbond.
Our new place will be just on 43 squares all up (two storey). $1500 variation for Colorbond roof and anticon blanket. That's Clarendon pricing, metro Sydney.
Hi everyone

Every builder's pricing structure is different and it's harder to compare what one builder charges for colourbond (for example) vs. the other builder.

They will most often be different because one builder may include certain items in the pricing whereas the other builder may have the same items priced somewhere else in their tender. This doesn't make one builder cheaper or the other ripping you off (even if its a possibility).

The key is to select a builder that you can trust 100% so you don't have to question their integrity. Otherwise it will make for a very unpleasant building journey.

Cheers
Girgis
My blog: www.LearnProperty.com.au
Related
17/08/2023
26 year old Colorbond roof. Repaint or replace?

Renovation + Home Improvement

Your house roof does not show rusting other than some surface rust on the flashings. In my opinion you dont need to replace or paint the roof other than treat surface rust…

9/04/2024
Colorbond roof can you extend its life?

General Discussion

You should pressure clean your roof first and make sure the paint you buy also is anti mould.

21/02/2024
BOUNDARY FENCES: Timber Lapped and Capped OR Colorbond?

Landscape & Garden Design

Hi all, Our boundary perimeter fences need replacing (3 sides). From everyone's experience, what would you install? Timber lapped and capped OR colorbond? Thank you.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum