Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Darbecca Quote on Inspection Reasonable?

Page 1 of 2
Hi everyone,

We're doing our first time build through Metricon on land that is currently due to title in June. Apparently it's a good idea to get an independent inspector and I've heard good things about Darbecca. I reached out them to get a quote and got back a breakdown of how much it will cost at each phase. The total price (even with discount for double story) came in at about $4k with GST. I've attached a picture of the breakdown. Is this about what we should inspect for two story house as it seems a bit steep? Specifically this is the Savanah34 for those that know Metricon models. Thanks in advance.

chaz
Hi everyone,

We're doing our first time build through Metricon on land that is currently due to title in June. Apparently it's a good idea to get an independent inspector and I've heard good things about Darbecca. I reached out them to get a quote and got back a breakdown of how much it will cost at each phase. The total price (even with discount for double story) came in at about $4k with GST. I've attached a picture of the breakdown. Is this about what we should inspect for two story house as it seems a bit steep? Specifically this is the Savanah34 for those that know Metricon models. Thanks in advance.

Personally, I find them very expensive.
I suggest you get a few quotes from others.
There's plenty out there who are registered building inspectors that run their own business, and their prices are more competitive.
End of the day, it's like an insurance policy. The question is how much do you want to pay.

Building the Votivo43 - viewtopic.php?f=31&t=88553
Thanks g33kerb0t. Are there any recommended ones somewhere?
Careful here as their are many that are barely qualified and will miss plenty with pay less but get a monkey to check my new home,I would look at building expert from this forum as he has all updated state of the art equipment along with very qualified experience and is superb if you get into dispute, you will be regretful if you take a inspection based on price.

Joker
Careful here as their are many that are barely qualified and will miss plenty with pay less but get a monkey to check my new home,I would look at building expert from this forum as he has all updated state of the art equipment along with very qualified experience and is superb if you get into dispute, you will be regretful if you take a inspection based on price.

great advice
Joker

Sorry who is 'he' you're referring to?
chaz
Joker

Sorry who is 'he' you're referring to?
Look at web site building expert,or look through this forum , just type in building expert.

chaz
Thanks g33kerb0t. Are there any recommended ones somewhere?
It depends on your state. I only know a few from VIC.
Maybe jump on your build forum on fb - people ask for these all the time. You'll get a recommendation with previous work from your state.

Building the Votivo43 - viewtopic.php?f=31&t=88553
I'm aware that Darbecca only has University qualified people working for him. He is one of the best. There are a lot that are failed Supervises that hang out a shingle and say that they are good.

Ask what qualifications they have before you discount Darbecca. He didn't become number one by being second best.

At the end of the day, it's your house. You get what you pay for........
Mate - I'd be happy to pay double that price for a decent inspection. It's what, 1% of your build cost? Don't scrimp on the important stuff. Those wall to ceiling tiles in the bathroom can be done post-build by someone else.
BTW chaz, have you asked Darbecca which volume builders should be avoided? I'd imagine they're in the most informed position to answer this question. I will ask them when I get to that stage of my build process (haven't even bought land yet).
It amazes me how home owners visit their site on average 2-3 times a week,
take dozens of photos, and are asked to now pay 1% of the Contract value for home inspections ($500,000 x 1/100= $5000)
which incidentally still requires engineering calculations and proofs for non compliance

OT, Who gets paid what and are they worth it when things go wrong on site?
Architects are paid 10% of the contract Value?
Sales Consultants are paid 5% of the contract Value?
Engineers are paid 2% of the Contract Value?
Inspectors are paid 1% of the contract value?
The accumulation of excessive fees and charges coupled with lack of confidence in the status Quo
IMO is hindering economic growth,equally
important is establishing Trust ... more needs to be done by engineers, regulators and Governments
my2c
smitho
BTW chaz, have you asked Darbecca which volume builders should be avoided?

There are good Volume Builders as there are good Inspection Companies,
unfortunately the bad ones drag down the others.. neither made it into trusted professions list here
Trusted Professions 2017
Housepect was about $500 per inspection report. These reports are not suitable for NCAT actions however, where expert witness reports are expected. I ended up researching the standards required, buying the tools and doing inspections myself early mornings weekly with the assistance of Metricons building manager who came onsite with me.
best money I every spent when building my house.

Was 0.8% of the overall build cost - not somewhere where you want to skimp
StructuralBIMGuy
smitho
BTW chaz, have you asked Darbecca which volume builders should be avoided?

There are good Volume Builders as there are good Inspection Companies,
unfortunately the bad ones drag down the others.. neither made it into trusted professions list here
Trusted Professions 2017

Interesting, market research analysts are not in the list at all
Norfolk
Housepect was about $500 per inspection report. These reports are not suitable for NCAT actions however, where expert witness reports are expected. I ended up researching the standards required, buying the tools and doing inspections myself early mornings weekly with the assistance of Metricons building manager who came onsite with me.

That is probably the best way to handle the situation
Identify the problem and work with your Builder to fix it before it's covered over and forgotten.
90% of the builders will seek alternate fast fix non certifiable solutions...
Inspectors and Building Surveyors aren't Qualified in that analytical area of the Australian Standards
Always ask for certified engineering Data and Proofs and consult a lawyer
Technology, data and simulations is also having a huge influence in the decision making process in everything we do with clients.,
LOL, as I say we slow down when we reach site and that's due to lack of automation. I still have to use a nail gun and tools
Yep, many agreed defects were not fixed correctly or covered up and in many cases Metricon had to re do their defective work fixes multiple times until they got it right. It was clear their normal practice is quick and dirty fixes and they didn’t expect their work to be checked.
This is reassuring. Not the fact that Metricon's default approach to rectification is a hack, but more the fact that once you've noticed the hack they will re-fix it. They are obviously feeling some level of accountability, even if it is very low. Their good behaviour should be positively reinforced with a stubby or a JBHiFi voucher or something, you know, treat them like the children they are.
Once Metricon realised they couldn’t BS me, and I was going to check their work they became more cooperative. The extra time to get them to deliver reasonable quality was 43 weeks on top of the 42 week contract build time and my extra cost was about $85,000.
Related
29/11/2023
Extension cost - $3500/m2 reasonable?

Renovation + Home Improvement

Seems good to me. I've been told $4-5k/sqm is reasonable in Perth.

8/11/2023
Kitchen Quote - What should be included?

Kitchen Corner

hey there! 😊 so, it’s kinda common for standard drawer depths to be around 500mm since most cabinets use this size to fit the usual runners…

7/08/2023
Kitchen Quote advice please!

General Discussion

I was being kind to the builder. With the amount charged for the upgrade the builder is probably charging closer to 100% margin. There are a few variables as I…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum