Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Gas Hot Water System

Page 1 of 1
[ltr]What are the benefits these days by going gas hot water? I read recently that these days electric are just as economical as you don't have to pay gas supply charges. We are building a 4 bedroom 2 storey and 3 bathroom family house.[/ltr]

[ltr]Have also read up about Heat Pump hot water...living on the Gold Coast QLD, this sounds like a viable option - however how expensive would upfront costs be?[/ltr]
j_sinc
[ltr]What are the benefits these days by going gas hot water? I read recently that these days electric are just as economical as you don't have to pay gas supply charges. We are building a 4 bedroom 2 storey and 3 bathroom family house.[/ltr]

[ltr]Have also read up about Heat Pump hot water...living on the Gold Coast QLD, this sounds like a viable option - however how expensive would upfront costs be?[/ltr]

We just put in a heat pump it is more expensive upfront, really efficient and with a large solar array and batteries we are hoping to be almost off the grid

j_sinc

Get on to the Whirlpool Forum, there are many pages of discussion about hot water services.
The only way non-solar electric is as efficient as gas is if you're using a heat-pump electric system.

If you don't use gas for anything else, then yeah you might consider not having gas connected. But if you're having gas connected regardless of what you do for water heating, then I don't know if there is anything which makes either option more attractive in all situations.
Gas is more reliable, gas can't be powered directly from the sun (few million year's time-lag between getting the power from the sun & you using it).

We were always going to install solar cells, so we chose electric for reverse-cycle heating/cooling and also for water heating. Also for cooking (induction cooktop).
Related
6/09/2023
building a deck and gas hot water

General Discussion

I want to build a decking to the drawn shape outlined in black. The problem is how close can I build to the gas hot water unit? Will I be able to build around it and be…

16/04/2024
Help me understand this Hot Water System

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

the sun master is the solar heating to "warm" the water in the tank the S26 is your hot water system which will heat the water (25 degrees?) so with both turned on you…

27/04/2024
Best electric hot water system in 2024?

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

The tank is around 200 litres (I am on holiday for the next 6 weeks so can't check) The Heat Pump has a built in time switch. No idea on the speed to heat because with…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum