Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Empty mortar joints internally not meeting minimum standard

Page 1 of 1
Hi all.

We had an inspection for pre plaster stage and some areas were noted to not meet the minimum standard where there were a number of inadequately filled mortar joints internally. The builder says they are not willing to do checks for us elsewhere in the house and take any plaster down when we finally contacted them about this (we had tried to contact multiple time pre plaster but unable to contact anyone as it was over the weekend, plaster went up in this time unfortunately). where do we stand if there are concerns the rest of the house does not meet standard as we can’t check and are worried!

[img:39mvqq5c]https://forum.homeone.com.au/u/85700_1554539727.jpeg[/img:39mvqq5c]
bluetess
Photos?
Unfortunately, It's a bit too late now when the walls have been plastered over
OT the critical structural stages that need to be inspected by your Engineer
are:
1. Siteworks ie compaction
2. Footings/Slab ie Reinforcement/concrete
3. Wall Framing/Brickwork ie bracing
4. Suspended Floors ie Beams
5. Roof Framing ie Beams, wind loading
BTW there are different parts to each standard, your builder may argue an alternate solution,
LOL, I heard porkies like "the plastering filled in the Gaps" and that is Bulldust
but seriously only an engineer is qualified and able to assess/certify all parts of the code.
eg Wind load->Frame loads on wall->Masonry Structure (AS3700)->Reduction factors/capacity of mortar-> Calculations (are Walls fit for purpose Y/N?)
Also Contact your local Council Building Surveyor
hth
bluetess
Hi all.

We had an inspection for pre plaster stage and some areas were noted to not meet the minimum standard where there were a number of inadequately filled mortar joints internally. The builder says they are not willing to do checks for us elsewhere in the house and take any plaster down when we finally contacted them about this (we had tried to contact multiple time pre plaster but unable to contact anyone as it was over the weekend, plaster went up in this time unfortunately). where do we stand if there are concerns the rest of the house does not meet standard as we can’t check and are worried!

[img:39mvqq5c]https://forum.homeone.com.au/u/85700_1554539727.jpeg[/img:39mvqq5c]

Looking at your photos. For the vertical joint isn't that normal??
Or my builder is also bad. LOL!
bluetess
Hi all.

Also , if those photos you taken are not garage. I don't see any building wrap? I guess its normal for some build though
MyFirst
bluetess
Hi all.

Also , if those photos you taken are not garage. I don't see any building wrap? I guess its normal for some build though

The photos are garage but still failed to comply. My site manager agreed and said would get bricklayer to fill the joints pre plaster but we know that didn’t happen and there was no follow up by him which is more what we aren’t happy about. So it raised concerns for rest of brickwork internally but yes rest covered by wrapping
bluetess
MyFirst
bluetess
Hi all.

The photos are garage but still failed to comply. My site manager agreed and said would get bricklayer to fill the joints pre plaster but we know that didn’t happen and there was no follow up by him which is more what we aren’t happy about. So it raised concerns for rest of brickwork internally but yes rest covered by wrapping

I guaranteed you if you visit 10 other build sides you will set some gaps in vertical joints. They usually only fill the vertical joints with 2/3rd of it with mortars or even half...

It is what it is.
Related
5/12/2023
Control Joints in Villaboard for a Bathroom

Bathrooms and Laundry

Hi All, First time poster. I was hoping to get some advice on villaboard installation within a bathroom. I have installed villaboard before, in a laundry. I think I did…

5/08/2023
What is the minimum side/back setbacks for small lots?

Building A New House

My land is 260m2 (10m x 26m) located in claymore NSW. Under campbelltown council. I know in general the following setbacks would apply ground floor side setback =…

29/10/2023
Sewer line minimum depth in NSW

Building A New House

Hi, only for walking. It is a narrow 1.5m paved area next to house.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum