Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

The parties have reached a mutual understanding in resolutio

Page 10 of 12
The parties have reached a mutual understanding in resolution of each of the other parties concerns
Alas!

Was this type of flooring specifically provisioned/signed off by the structural engineer and certifier?

Hebel PowerFloor is 75 mm, so quite surprised to see 50 mm panels on the floor, I guess this had to be designed in and signed off by the structural engineer first and your certifier later.

In general, AAC panels are certainly better but more expensive alternative to yellow tongue.

As well as MgO floor panels, they only need to be 18 mm for the floor and are firesafe and waterproof when joints are properly sealed.
alexp79
Alas!

Was this type of flooring specifically provisioned/signed off by the structural engineer and certifier?

Hebel PowerFloor is 75 mm, so quite surprised to see 50 mm panels on the floor, I guess this had to be designed in and signed off by the structural engineer first and your certifier later.

In general, AAC panels are certainly better but more expensive alternative to yellow tongue.

As well as MgO floor panels, they only need to be 18 mm for the floor and are firesafe and waterproof when joints are properly sealed.

The parties have reached a mutual understanding in resolution of each of the other parties concerns
SejaeD
As both Hebel and this other company offer free training to installers, I also didnt realise that the builder would use the same untrained muppets who erected my frames to put the floors in. They were so bad that they tried cutting the panels with a chainsaw rather than a diamond bladed circular saw which shattered many panels.

You are joking right?

I have never thought about 'floor installers' having to be trained. Is this just a manufacturer's requirement or is it also a more industry extensive requirement?
So the owner was okay that 50 mm 1.1 MPa wall panels were used for the structural flooring and was rather recommending to use better installers?

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the minimum live loads are around 1.5 MPa or something for residential flooring?

Can you remove them from the inside? Why to remove roof?
alexp79
So the owner was okay that 50 mm 1.1 MPa wall panels were used for the structural flooring and was rather recommending to use better installers?

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the minimum live loads are around 1.5 MPa or something for residential flooring?

Yeah thats what I thought in regards to 1.5mpa live load and that was regularly achieve using yellow tongue for the average build.
SejaeD
The codes recommend a live load of 1.5KPa although I've seen a few thin composite slabs lately
designed for 1KPa spanning large distances these may have long term serviceability/deflection and cracking problems
If this is the case I suggest you start monitoring your build and keep records..I will put some code tolerance checks up and tag you in
hth
SaveH2O
SejaeD
As both Hebel and this other company offer free training to installers, I also didnt realise that the builder would use the same untrained muppets who erected my frames to put the floors in. They were so bad that they tried cutting the panels with a chainsaw rather than a diamond bladed circular saw which shattered many panels.

You are joking right?

I have never thought about 'floor installers' having to be trained. Is this just a manufacturer's requirement or is it also a more industry extensive requirement?

StructuralBIMGuy
@SejaeD
The codes recommend a live load of 1.5KPa although I've seen a few thin composite slabs lately
designed for 1KPa spanning large distances these may have long term serviceability/deflection and cracking problems
If this is the case I suggest you start monitoring your build and keep records..I will put some code tolerance checks up and tag you in

StructuralBIMGuy
@SejaeD
hth

alexp79

Alex

I just pulled up their specs for the wall and floor panels and they are exactly the same so i guess he is okay with it. Will need some engineering guru to interpret the data

Unfortunately they cant be removed from the inside as they sit under the bottom plates of the frames

so where live load data is coming from?

So you would need to dismantle upper level and roof framing (lift with crane?), remove panels, buy and install yellow tongue, attach framing back.. All this for just $11K? Sounds like really good offer to me.
It seems to me that the flooring change should have been a subject of an amended building permit in which case BS would have had the opportunity to review the proposal to use floor panels in lieu of yellow tongue. Was it done?
alexp79
so where live load data is coming from?

So you would need to dismantle upper level and roof framing (lift with crane?), remove panels, buy and install yellow tongue, attach framing back.. All this for just $11K? Sounds like really good offer to me.

Yellow tongue has to go over the current AAC panels and be screwed down with 140mm bugles
building-expert
It seems to me that the flooring change should have been a subject of an amended building permit in which case BS would have had the opportunity to review the proposal to use floor panels in lieu of yellow tongue. Was it done?

Thanks for your reply.
SejaeD
Who designed the floor joists, what loading and what was the Short & Long term deflection limits?
Then check it against the actual deflection in your floor joists,which will only get worse over time
I think you might find the joists are undersized for those panels and this will be reflected in sagging joists
Either way Structural changes need to be checked and signed off by the engineer.hth
SejaeD
A bit hard to pull the roof and frame down now! Yellow tongue has to go over the current AAC panels and be screwed down with 140mm bugles

Why would you put Yellow tongue flooring over the cracking AAC Panels... you are just masking over another problem?
StructuralBIMGuy
@SejaeD
Who designed the floor joists, what loading and what was the Short & Long term deflection limits?
Then check it against the actual deflection in your floor joists,which will only get worse over time
I think you might find the joists are undersized for those panels and this will be reflected in sagging joists
Either way Structural changes need to be checked and signed off by the engineer.hth

StructuralBIMGuy
SejaeD
A bit hard to pull the roof and frame down now! Yellow tongue has to go over the current AAC panels and be screwed down with 140mm bugles

Why would you put Yellow tongue flooring over the cracking AAC Panels... you are just masking over another problem?

Related
17/11/2023
Help understanding Boundary Survey and Nail Location

Building A New House

ask the surveyor for clarification would be the logical approach

12/11/2023
3m ceilings - how high would you have your kitchen cabinets?

Kitchen Corner

Thanks mate. Yeah good points! Leaning towards Option 3 to get a bit extra space in the cabinets but not going too crazy high (and expensive). Would require a mini…

14/03/2024
Contract Works Insurance - Why your builder should have it

Building A New House

Hi All, I just wanted to close this topic out with an update. So we ended up agreeing to a number with the insurance company, and after an extensive amount of hand…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum