Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Thoughts on this slab?

Page 1 of 1
We just had our slab laid and one particular area looks quite average.

In the photo you can see:
- the corner was not done properly and a chunk is missing
- there is an irregular shaped item in vertical face of the slab, it feels fibrous

We will be talking to the site supervisor but in the meantime can anyone provide comment? I am also following the other thread by amilelka which has queries on their slab.

Hi resolute. I'd say your a fellow West Australian by the look of the slab.

While it may look a bit ugly I'd say the bit of fibrous material is a piece of hardiflex that's been used to block a hole in the formwork and it's just stuck to the side of the slab.
And it's hard to tell from the angle of the picture but the piece that is missing is simply so the brickwork sits on the lower section and the wall will run right into the house.
All should be fine and is standard practice.
Thanks Chippy, yes I am in Perth. I will make a post to document my progress some time.

You are right for both items and I have spoken to the supervisor at site. The photo didn't show the other side and it is indeed where the brickwork will sit.

So relieved now.
Resolute88
Thanks Chippy, yes I am in Perth. I will make a post to document my progress some time.

You are right for both items and I have spoken to the supervisor at site. The photo didn't show the other side and it is indeed where the brickwork will sit.

So relieved now.

My slab edges were also like yours.. Mine is due to pour on damp cool day and contractor don't care and remove form work too early.

Yours in WA, hotter climate and summer now. would think it would have firm up sooner or you contractor remove the form work VERY early..
You have a boney slab edge. The lazy concretor didn't vibrate the edges properly.
And you don't have a vapour barrier.
These are defects and should be rectified before the builder buries your slab in mud.
They also need your builders engineer to sign off on the fixes.
Get a licences building inspector.

The house is in WA. We do things differently over here and the slab is fine.
No mud either. Just stable well draining sand.😉
Resolute88
Check your Engineering Detail for Slab Step down
I hope you took Photos before the concrete Placement
Building Inspectors have no authority to check Structural Slabs & Elements In WA
Most rely on the builders supervisor.. that's another story
sweetswisssteel
And you don't have a vapour barrier.

Vapour barrier is completed either by the bricklayer by parging the slab edge or sprayed with a waterproof membrane, it should be done at least a week after the slab is poured

I visited site again and noticed they installed a new PVC pipe, but they had to cut into the slab will do this (refer above photo). I believe they forgot about it and installed it in later. Will this weaken the concrete slab? I did a search of the forum and one of the posters in another thread suggested getting written confirmation from the engineer that this will not weaken the slab.
They need an engineered solution to do any works to the finished slab. So you have every right to request in writing the signed - off letter from their engineer on any of these works.
Just get yourself an independent inspector and maybe hire a structural engineer too.

Hi, we had several cuts to fix plumbing mistakes in our waffle pod slab for our previous house. It was frustrating, and we had to force the builder to provide an engineering report....well they did it on their own accord once I went around taking lots of photos before they poured!

Anyhow the good news is we had no issues at all with the house in 10 years living there, so you should be fine. My logic cutting into one section still leaves lots of strength in all the other beams etc. But I am certainly no expert, just going off our past experience.
That's my point, just make sure the engineer has signed off. That way you get some peace of mind it's been done right.

Related
3/02/2024
Color Thoughts | Renovators Delight

Finishing Touch

Were struck with: Colorbond Ironstone Grey roof and cream windows. What color should we render and paint the garage door to tone down the cream windows? Farm House, will…

13/05/2023
Retaining wall under patio slab

Landscape & Garden Design

Thanks for the insights, that makes perfect sense, and yeah, I will be leaning on the experience of the excavator operator entirely.

8/06/2023
Slab low

Building A New House

I have the civil/drainage plans, what am I looking for?

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum