Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Fairhaven Riverview 266 with Surfcoast facade

Page 2 of 4
darb74
[quote defaultattr=""]Our concern now is that they will have to cut a chunk out of our slab to move the pipe 30cm. Not that i know anything about building, but it seems like you wouldn't want something that compromises the integrity!

Assuming that is definitely your toilet waste pipe and they will have to cut the slab to relocate it, I wouldn't stress too much as it does happen quite a bit unfortunately. We had a similar toilet pipe issue in a build 10 years ago, and I basically took photos of the slab cut and the builder at the time then went and got a proper engineering report done.

So my suggestion would be to press your builder for an engineering report, and also take your own photos and records if any slab cuts are to be made. Also make sure the termite guards etc are properly reset when the new piping is installed.

Also keep in mind many of your drainage pipes (eg. from basins and sinks) are designed to be within your wall cavity. We have several pipes currently sitting right under our wall bottom plates....but the toilet ones are all out in the open.

Good luck with the build, I'm sure this will end up being just another minor issue that we all experience during these house building projects.[/quote]

Thanks, that’s good advice 😊 will give our site supervisor a call tomorrow and see what the plan is...because at the moment, they’ve just built the frame around it!! 🤷🏻‍♀️ It’s definitely the toilet one though.

Hadn’t considered the termite guard, so thank you!
GEOnTREY
Yep, why couldn't the windows be covered with plastic or something to at least keep the rain off. Are yours stacked on the slab or on the dirt?

The inspectors don't get involved. With the Pre Slab/steel inspection we were lucky to have 2 issues fixed by the slab guys while our inspector was there so we know they were fixed satisfactorily.
All future inspections we are given a detailed report with photos and it's up to us to somehow figure out if the issues are fixed properly or not. We have to ask Mitchell for photographic proof.

Maybe we should be organising weekly site meetings with Mitch. Not sure if that is overkill or not though. At least having corner blocks we can see a lot more through the fence 😏

Are all your frames and roof trusses on site already? Not sure if Fairhaven use prefab frames or build the frames on site?

Our porch looks level it's just really crooked across the front. Hopefully it can just be ground off or something.

Our windows were stacked on the slab at least...on the patio now. So at least they’re not in dirt, but yes! Plastic or something! Having just had windows installed where we currently are, I’m aware of the $$ each window is worth!

That’s interesting re the inspectors. What issues did they find with yours?

Somehow we seem to be slightly ahead of you at the moment...we’ve got the basics of a frame up! We hadn’t been to check in on things since Friday, and tonight- surprise!

They build the frames from scratch, which was a surprise! Just piles of wood delivered! Haven’t seen any roof trusses...not sure if they build them onsite or not...can’t imagine they’re too far off though.

I hope they find a way to sort out your porch! Frustrating...it’s the first bit you see as you arrive. There’d have to be a way to make it better though...
EmmaK8
GEOnTREY
Yep, why couldn't the windows be covered with plastic or something to at least keep the rain off. Are yours stacked on the slab or on the dirt?

The inspectors don't get involved. With the Pre Slab/steel inspection we were lucky to have 2 issues fixed by the slab guys while our inspector was there so we know they were fixed satisfactorily.
All future inspections we are given a detailed report with photos and it's up to us to somehow figure out if the issues are fixed properly or not. We have to ask Mitchell for photographic proof.

Maybe we should be organising weekly site meetings with Mitch. Not sure if that is overkill or not though. At least having corner blocks we can see a lot more through the fence 😏

Are all your frames and roof trusses on site already? Not sure if Fairhaven use prefab frames or build the frames on site?

Our porch looks level it's just really crooked across the front. Hopefully it can just be ground off or something.

Our windows were stacked on the slab at least...on the patio now. So at least they’re not in dirt, but yes! Plastic or something! Having just had windows installed where we currently are, I’m aware of the $$ each window is worth!

Somehow we seem to be slightly ahead of you at the moment...we’ve got the basics of a frame up! We hadn’t been to check in on things since Friday, and tonight- surprise!

They build the frames from scratch, which was a surprise! Just piles of wood delivered! Haven’t seen any roof trusses...not sure if they build them onsite or not...can’t imagine they’re too far off though.

I hope they find a way to sort out your porch! Frustrating...it’s the first bit you see as you arrive. There’d have to be a way to make it better though...

Well that's good your windows aren't in the dirt!

From Darbecca's report....
1. There were numerous areas where the reinforcement trench mesh or steel bars were
sitting on or touching the vapour barrier (membrane).
The reinforcement fabric is designed to be located on bar chairs. The installation had
put the mesh touching the bottom of the trench or waffle beam. Other areas of mesh
were in contact with the sides of the beams
2. The earthing facility required to the dwellings slab steel as required in AS 3000 had
not been installed. This dwelling has formed shower bases and it is mandatory that
earthing of the slab steel is installed.
I refer the builder to AS 3000, clause 5.6.2.5 that states “Any conductive reinforcing
within a concrete floor or wall forming part of a shower or bathroom shall be
bonded to the earthing system”.

I would highly recommend you use them for peace of mind.

Our next inspection is when the frame & trusses are in place. They also inspect the slab for free so we will probably wait and see what they say about the porch. We also have a couple of metres crumpled concrete across the front of the garage.

So how many days between your slab being poured to the frame going on?
That's really exciting! Seeing the frame actually makes it look like a real house for the first time 🙂
GEOnTREY
EmmaK8
GEOnTREY

1. There were numerous areas where the reinforcement trench mesh or steel bars were
The reinforcement fabric is designed to be located on bar chairs. The installation had
put the mesh touching the bottom of the trench or waffle beam. Other areas of mesh
2. The earthing facility required to the dwellings slab steel as required in AS 3000 had
not been installed. This dwelling has formed shower bases and it is mandatory that
I refer the builder to AS 3000, clause 5.6.2.5 that states “Any conductive reinforcing

Our next inspection is when the frame & trusses are in place. They also inspect the slab for free so we will probably wait and see what they say about the porch. We also have a couple of metres crumpled concrete across the front of the garage.

That's really exciting! Seeing the frame actually makes it look like a real house for the first time 🙂

Oooh....the earthing thing sounds important! 😕 the rest doesn’t make a great deal of sense to me...but I think you guys have made a good choice. I’ll speak to my partner and see, we might end up with Darbecca as well.

They definitely sound like they were a bit lazy on your porch!

I’m not exactly sure when the framing began, if it was Monday or yesterday (we skipped a day of visiting) but our slab was poured the previous Saturday. So, they started 9 or 10 days after I guess.

But yes! Really starting to look like a house!

We have roof trusses and windows/doors! (The glass doors, at least!)
Guttering due on Monday
EmmaK8

We have roof trusses and windows/doors! (The glass doors, at least!)
Guttering due on Monday

WOW that all happened fast! Looks fantastic 🙂
What's happening with your toilet?
GEOnTREY

I had similar defects come up in my slab inspection, including the grounding issue. Seems like some of the trades people they use are either lazy or over-worked/inexperienced.

One of the panels for my sliding door was left on a pile of dried junk concrete which explains why they were so badly scratched. I'm in the process of getting them replace. I recommend taking a photo, even though the fence.

The frame is looking good Emma.
CalicoCat
GEOnTREY

I had similar defects come up in my slab inspection, including the grounding issue. Seems like some of the trades people they use are either lazy or over-worked/inexperienced.

One of the panels for my sliding door was left on a pile of dried junk concrete which explains why they were so badly scratched. I'm in the process of getting them replace. I recommend taking a photo, even though the fence.

The frame is looking good Emma.

Hm...sounds like the grounding one is common! Glad yours got picked up! I wonder if they think that it’s all getting covered, so nobody will notice...

After saying all our windows were NOT sitting on the dirt, we went back and realised some were 🤦🏻‍♀️ Admittedly up on pieces of wood, but still...not ideal. Will check for any marks, thanks for the tip! I’m just actually impressed that they’re still there...was sure they’d be damaged or stolen!

It’s grewt to see it coming together, either way. 😊
We have windows, guttering and a...membrane...(?) I guess? The plastic stuff!

Bricks and roofing have been delivered too!

Not off to a great start with our site supervisor...he was a no-show at our first ever site meeting (and we only found out he wasn’t coming cos we called after 20 mins!!) hopefully things improve!

GEOnTREY - weird that you guys are yet to see a frame! We were running to a similar timeline at the start! But no, we were told Fairhaven pays electricity for The build time. Who’s told you otherwise?

[img:20j94nxt]https://forum.homeone.com.au/u/82300_1554488780.jpeg[/img:20j94nxt]
[img:20j94nxt]https://forum.homeone.com.au/u/82300_1554488804.jpeg[/img:20j94nxt]
Good progress for you guys.

Few tips from my own experience that may help with your build:

- You must formally email defects or issues you find along the way including photos preferably in Word document to Fairhaven homes. There were some issues in my case we found after moving in but were told to prove that was the case on the day of the handover and not done by us. I am now trying to get proofs from what I have.

- Never go by supervisor's word of mouth claims for the fixes or anything, always get them to email you the details. This is not always possible. In my case garage floor had too many holes left by the supporting timber used during frame stage and when I asked them to fix it, they simply covered it with concrete and after moving it, original holes have re-appeared. They are not very big holes but annoying anyway.

- Trades are not only lazy and over-worked, they are apprentice team without having any senior trade assisting them. This kills the installation of whatever the trade is doing. You need to regularly check and take photos.

- Sparky, painter, roof installer did a below average job on our built. Roof installer forgot to install the sarking and explained to me that it's not required, I reminded builder the contractual agreement and they retro installed it. I have ongoing issues that I can't comment on in the public forums but you get the drift.

- Sparky refused to install double power point recessed one on the waterfall of the island bench. It was in the contract and they made us sign contract variation to refund it as it couldn't be installed by the sparky. I don't think he was qualified enough anyway as he said there is not enough room for it to be installed. Now, in their display home they have it!

- We asked for a door to be installed to ensuite bathroom. They did it but sparky left the light and exhaust switches on the bedroom side. They didn't move it inside the bathroom, it wasn't in the contract but simple suggestion to move it inside would have been appreciated.

- We got evap cooler in the promo pack, Sparky forgot to install the double PP in the roof space for it. Was retro installed after we moved in.

- All the double PP were installed at the corner of the walls. Should have been away from the corners. Since they are new points, unplugging cables needs to be done carefully else it could stress the plaster board at the corners.

- Did I say Sparky was dumb, this is to remind he was indeed.

- I can see plaster lines during certain times of the day as the double coated paint looks single spray coated to me.

- I sometimes get static charge when holding metal in the house like kitchen taps, front door handle etc. Seems to me earthing is not really done properly.

- Sparky made holes in the plaster for switches where they were not required, I think it was never filled up prior to plaster going on the wall, one even behind the kitchen splashback.

- My contract said NBN box to have additional external double PP next to it, Sparky installed NBN on another wall in the garage but left the double PP on the original wall even though contract mentioned what needed to be done clearly.

- Go crazy sticking tapes on the day of settlement when they ask you to find issues and take photos of it afterwards. Don't forget to email them the details with photos.

- Several other issues but I can't keep typing, You can live with them but would want them fixed. Keep an open eye on your build. It's your house after all.

- After handover maintenance and service department is average. They help and fix things only after repeated reminders, trade missing the booked day etc. It can be sometimes stressful to deal with them so get everything (or as far as possible) fixed prior to settlement to save troubles later.

Now, you can say you will experience this with any builder. But you need to be careful of these with any of them.
Fairhaven homes are not bad, you just need to be attentive and assertive. Make sure issues are fixed prior to handover.
Delay the handover if you think major issues are pending, consult with private inspector.

Don't be afraid and raise ANY issue you think is not right.
sunrays

- You must formally email defects or issues you find along the way including photos preferably in Word document to Fairhaven homes. There were some issues in my case we found after moving in but were told to prove that was the case on the day of the handover and not done by us. I am now trying to get proofs from what I have.

- Never go by supervisor's word of mouth claims for the fixes or anything, always get them to email you the details. This is not always possible. In my case garage floor had too many holes left by the supporting timber used during frame stage and when I asked them to fix it, they simply covered it with concrete and after moving it, original holes have re-appeared. They are not very big holes but annoying anyway.

- Trades are not only lazy and over-worked, they are apprentice team without having any senior trade assisting them. This kills the installation of whatever the trade is doing. You need to regularly check and take photos.

- Sparky, painter, roof installer did a below average job on our built. Roof installer forgot to install the sarking and explained to me that it's not required, I reminded builder the contractual agreement and they retro installed it. I have ongoing issues that I can't comment on in the public forums but you get the drift.

- Sparky refused to install double power point recessed one on the waterfall of the island bench. It was in the contract and they made us sign contract variation to refund it as it couldn't be installed by the sparky. I don't think he was qualified enough anyway as he said there is not enough room for it to be installed. Now, in their display home they have it!

- We asked for a door to be installed to ensuite bathroom. They did it but sparky left the light and exhaust switches on the bedroom side. They didn't move it inside the bathroom, it wasn't in the contract but simple suggestion to move it inside would have been appreciated.

- We got evap cooler in the promo pack, Sparky forgot to install the double PP in the roof space for it. Was retro installed after we moved in.

- All the double PP were installed at the corner of the walls. Should have been away from the corners. Since they are new points, unplugging cables needs to be done carefully else it could stress the plaster board at the corners.

- I can see plaster lines during certain times of the day as the double coated paint looks single spray coated to me.

- I sometimes get static charge when holding metal in the house like kitchen taps, front door handle etc. Seems to me earthing is not really done properly.

- Sparky made holes in the plaster for switches where they were not required, I think it was never filled up prior to plaster going on the wall, one even behind the kitchen splashback.

- My contract said NBN box to have additional external double PP next to it, Sparky installed NBN on another wall in the garage but left the double PP on the original wall even though contract mentioned what needed to be done clearly.

- Go crazy sticking tapes on the day of settlement when they ask you to find issues and take photos of it afterwards. Don't forget to email them the details with photos.

- Several other issues but I can't keep typing, You can live with them but would want them fixed. Keep an open eye on your build. It's your house after all.

- After handover maintenance and service department is average. They help and fix things only after repeated reminders, trade missing the booked day etc. It can be sometimes stressful to deal with them so get everything (or as far as possible) fixed prior to settlement to save troubles later.

Now, you can say you will experience this with any builder. But you need to be careful of these with any of them.
Fairhaven homes are not bad, you just need to be attentive and assertive. Make sure issues are fixed prior to handover.
Delay the handover if you think major issues are pending, consult with private inspector.

sunrays
Thanks for the tips.

Did you end up getting everything fixed in the end?
EmmaK8
We have windows, guttering and a...membrane...(?) I guess? The plastic stuff!

Not off to a great start with our site supervisor...he was a no-show at our first ever site meeting (and we only found out he wasn’t coming cos we called after 20 mins!!) hopefully things improve!

GEOnTREY - weird that you guys are yet to see a frame! We were running to a similar timeline at the start! But no, we were told Fairhaven pays electricity for The build time. Who’s told you otherwise?

[img:20j94nxt]https://forum.homeone.com.au/u/82300_1554488780.jpeg[/img:20j94nxt]
[i@mg:20j94nxt]https://forum.homeone.com.au/u/82300_1554488804.jpeg[/img:20j94nxt]

EmmaK8
Any more advancements for you?

That's ridiculous he didn't show up for your first inspection. Did you get your toilet sorted out?

Framers are finally booked in for us tomorrow.

Got any new pics of your house? 🙂
Most of them fixed yes. Some of them they gave reasons why they wouldn't fix.

New issues pop up every now and then which I hope to consolidate and inform them again so they can fix them.
sunrays
Most of them fixed yes. Some of them they gave reasons why they wouldn't fix.

New issues pop up every now and then which I hope to consolidate and inform them again so they can fix them.

Glad you have gotten most fixed.

Hope they don't reneg on our dpp in the end of our island bench. We don't have waterfall ends and the microwave space is at the end we want ours.

Did you withold final payment until certain things were fixed?
You can't legally withhold final payment for fixing things but what you can do is not accept the handover on the day of settlement if you think critical issues have not been addressed. What is "critical" to you may not be critical to them but you can insist that these issues are "critical" enough for you to delay settlement.

Sometimes, they accept the issues but ask for them to be fixed as part of 90 day inspection post settlement. If you think you can live with reported issues for 90 days then so be it. It should be YOUR call as you have paid them to deliver a house.
[quote="GEOnTREY":2kf7218p][quote="EmmaK8":2kf7218p]We have windows, guttering and a...membrane...(?) I guess? The plastic stuff!

[i@mg:20j94nxt]https://forum.homeone.com.au/u/82300_1554488804.jpeg[/img:20j94nxt][/quote:2kf7218p]

EmmaK8

That's ridiculous he didn't show up for your first inspection. Did you get your toilet sorted out?

Got any new pics of your house? 🙂[/quote:2kf7218p]

Hopefully we’re meeting with him on Wednesday! 🤞🏻 The toilet issue might not be as dire as we thought, apparebtly they’ve simply concreted over the top of the sewerage pipe. The bit in the wall is a vent pipe...though...it’s still VERY wide...couldn’t hang plaster over it the way it is ATM, so will wait and see what happens there.

We have a roof as of Saturday. Also, they started our bricks yesterday, and are progressing today! I’ll put a pic up 😊

Hope they can get your frame going...ours went up within about a day I think.

ROOF!! 🙌🏻
Yesterday’s bricking...

After about 3-4 hours today...

sunrays

Thanks heaps for that! Gives us a good idea of what to watch! 😊
EmmaK8
[quote="GEOnTREY":2kf7218p][quote="EmmaK8":2kf7218p]We have windows, guttering and a...membrane...(?) I guess? The plastic stuff!

[i@mg:20j94nxt]https://forum.homeone.com.au/u/82300_1554488804.jpeg[/img:20j94nxt][/quote:2kf7218p]

EmmaK8

Got any new pics of your house? 🙂[/quote:2kf7218p]

Hopefully we’re meeting with him on Wednesday! 🤞🏻 The toilet issue might not be as dire as we thought, apparebtly they’ve simply concreted over the top of the sewerage pipe. The bit in the wall is a vent pipe...though...it’s still VERY wide...couldn’t hang plaster over it the way it is ATM, so will wait and see what happens there.

We have a roof as of Saturday. Also, they started our bricks yesterday, and are progressing today! I’ll put a pic up 😊

Hope they can get your frame going...ours went up within about a day I think.[/quote]

Wow...your house is really moving along quickly.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE your bricks!

Do you have a driveway crossing at the back of your block or is that your neighbours?

Hoping our carpenters like working in the rain and didn't go home after the first few drops 🥴
Related
22/11/2023
Reviews on Fairhaven homes

Building A New House

We are looking to do a KDR with fairhaven homes, Have seen plenty of good reviews about them pre construction and plenty of negative reviews about them during contruction…

7/05/2023
Facade column size (350 or 470mm) , Rendering or Stone or Ti

Building A New House

Dear Members I have to decide the Facade column size. My custom builder standard is 350mm with rendering, but i asked for 470mm plus stone or tiles and yet to get…

30/05/2023
share traditional gable roof facade with pillars having ston

Building A New House

traditional gable roof facade - Have you did the dark and light gray color combination in facade with gray stone in facade…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum