Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

New home build - Custom Design WA

Page 2 of 11
With our brickwork not due to start until the weekend, I thought I'd share some of our external colour selections.

Roof and gutters: Colorbond monument
Eaves: Glosswood Possum

Render: Taubmans Tundra Mist
Feature render: Monument

Windows frames: Charcoal Lustre
Window glass: Super gray tint

Front door: Monument
Garage doors: Composite Aluminium in Onyx with stainless steel negative detail
Driveway: exposed aggregate boral Shark Bay

The 3d screenshot shows how they should all come together hopefully!

We designed our kitchen to have a wet and dry area so most of the cooking mess and smells can be closed off with a cavity slider.

Cabinets: Polytec matte black vinette
Benchtops: Maximum Pepper porcelain

Island Bench: Silestone Eternal Serena with waterfall ends and sharknose profile. Dove grey cabinets.

We have recessed door pulls throughout on the cabinetry except for the pantry.

Hello! Are you getting one of the Silestone Integrity sinks too? We’re having that in the granny flat area of our house, and that along with bench top and splashback in Lagoon. Saw it in a display and it looked good!
Hillsbuilds
Hello! Are you getting one of the Silestone Integrity sinks too? We’re having that in the granny flat area of our house, and that along with bench top and splashback in Lagoon. Saw it in a display and it looked good!
Unfortunately not, just an ordinary undermount sink. We saw the integrity sinks in the Silestone showroom and they look beautiful!

Some nice colours chosen. We went with lighter colours for our cabinetry, but I think we're going to do a darker splashback as a bit of a contrast (we're organising our own after handover).

Monument is a great colour. Our gutters, downpipes, garage door, fencing and other exterior items are in Monument, but we chose Surfmist for the roof. Unfortunately Dowell doesn't do Monument in window frames in WA, so we had to choose the closest colour in the range, which is Charcoal. I think its slightly bluer, which should go well with our brickwork, which has the bluish tones in some of the bricks.
Structural columns were installed today. I didn't realise our house would need so much steel!

Brickwork commenced today.

More brickwork has been done over the past few days. It looks like a fiddly job with all our dropped footings and columns to cut around.

The house will be rendered the throughout excluding the boundary garage wall, so we get to look at ugly bricks for now

The ground floor is slowly taking shape with most of the brickwork done. There's still a few internal walls left to do before the beams go in.

Our living, dining and kitchen have ceiling height windows planned so they haven't been bricked in yet. I'm not sure what stage they are planning to install them, but I think they do a site measure first.

It’s coming together well. I notice they haven’t done the 3 courses of single course bricks above your windows and doors. The only reason I mention it is because someone commented on our build last week when they noticed we don’t have it on our internal walls.
Yes I saw that comment. I have heard that you need a minimum of 3c height of brickwork over an opening, but I don't know if it has to be 3 separate bricks. Did you ask your supervisor about it?

Didn’t get a chance to unfortunately. I checked out photos of other people’s builds and saw that they had the same as us, which is 3 courses of single course brick on exterior windows and door frames and above other internal steel lintels but not on internal doors, so I didn’t question it.

I read that internal door frames are certified to not require lintels, due to the strength of the top of the frame, but I don’t know how true that is.
Maybe the requirements for internal walls are different since they're braced by the ceiling? I also haven't noticed 3 bricks being used above door frames on other sites, so I hope it's fine.

The use of 3 courses of single bricks is for not required over standard steel frames.
It's used over steel lintels because they flex and single course bricks are stronger and don't cause cracking if the lintel deforms slightly.
Once the opening is above a certain size they will also rod the the bed joints for additional strength.
chippy
The use of 3 courses of single bricks is for not required over standard steel frames.
It's used over steel lintels because they flex and single course bricks are stronger and don't cause cracking if the lintel deforms slightly.
Once the opening is above a certain size they will also rod the the bed joints for additional strength.
Sorry chippy but you are wrong, the last builder I worked for got pinged for it by the building commission, we had an order to rectify it, hardly any builders do it, but it's the code

Not doubting what you are saying but I'd be interested to know what code it violates.
Was it a double storey build.
In 30 years in the building industry I've never seen single course bricking over internal steel frames for single storey residential construction.
If that's the case then just about every single house built since the invention of the maxi brick wouldn't comply.
chippy
Not doubting what you are saying but I'd be interested to know what code it violates.
Was it a double storey build.
In 30 years in the building industry I've never seen single course bricking over internal steel frames for single storey residential construction.
If that's the case then just about every single house built since the invention of the maxi brick wouldn't comply.
It's in AS3700, yes I know what you are saying and yes they are all wrong, ring the building commission and ask for one of the inspectors and ask the question.

Do you know which part of AS3700 it is in?

The ground floor steel has gone in and the GF brickwork is finished. The site has been cleaned up a bit as well.

What style of windows have you got in your upstairs overlooking the courtyard if I may ask?
Related
1/01/2024
Custom Home Design - Suggestions and Recommendation

Building A New House

ideal house depends on the site and location as much as internal floor plan....what is the distance from the house to all four boundaries, where is north, describe your…

19/04/2024
First time build: Custom narrow riverside home in WA

Building A New House

So it looks like we finally have some movement on site! Definitely later than expected, but I'll take any progress at this point. I'll drop by over the weekend to get…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum