Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building the Simonds Cleland 233 in SA

Page 1 of 6
Hey Everyone,

We have just signed out contract with Simonds to start building the Cleland 233 in SA (Ledger in VIC) but found it a bit difficult as there are no displays of this home here in SA nor were there many homes of this type built for us to even go have a look at! So thought we might start a forum to follow our process from start to finish with as many pictures and as much info as we can give to hopefully help other people in the future.

Out experience so far with Simonds has been positive, we found them extremely helpful and patient throughout the planning stage as we changed LOTS of things from the base design, then changed them back and then changed again. The most significant changes we made though are:

- Upgrading to the Allandale Facade (we removed the timber cladding and chose to just have bricks- with the plan to add stacked stone after handover)
- Reconfiguring the Ensuite Layout to have a double shower
- Reconfiguring the bathroom layout to have a free standing bath and niche as the feature
- Adding a 30m2 Alfresco under the main roof
- Adding TV niches in both the living room and theatre
- Rebated the Alfresco area so that we didn't have a 'lip' from the dining room sliding doors to outside
- Made the WIP into a Butlers Pantry
- Raised the entry ceiling to 3m (the rest of the house is 2.7m- also an upgrade)
- Deleted the voids in the WIR
- Upgraded to mirrored sliding built in robes for beds 2, 3 and 4
- Changed the Theatre room doors to double cavity sliders
- Upgraded to stone bench tops with under-mount basins/sinks throughout the whole house
- Extended the kitchen island bench so its now level with the adjacent bench
- Floor to ceiling tiles in both ensuite and bathroom

We have an estimated start date of 15th February (depending on Council approvals) and are really looking forward to the building process!

Any comments or tips for the next stages would be greatly appreciated, we will try to upload frequently as things happen.
How did exciting for you. Hope it all goes well.
Bebbsy
How did exciting for you. Hope it all goes well.

Very excited
just want it to start now haha!
Should have finance approved by the end of this week and fingers crossed council approval comes back also
Not long now!!!
SITE CUT NEXT WEEK!!!!!
Tysonandkaylie
SITE CUT NEXT WEEK!!!!!

Wow, that’s moving very quickly. They don’t mess around do they?

We are waiting to see our final plans, and then told selections will not be till April.

By the time our slab goes down you will be already in your house, relaxing with a glass of wine under your Alfresco. 😀
Bebbsy
Tysonandkaylie
SITE CUT NEXT WEEK!!!!!

We are waiting to see our final plans, and then told selections will not be till April.

By the time our slab goes down you will be already in your house, relaxing with a glass of wine under your Alfresco. 😀

Don’t worry ours has been a pretty long process still , it’s been around 8 months now but we did buy our land at the right time as it settled pretty much within the 1st month

Who are you guys building with?? I loved the plans and selection stages !!
i just can’t wait to see the slab then I think it will feel more real !!
Tysonandkaylie
Bebbsy
Tysonandkaylie
SITE CUT NEXT WEEK!!!!!

Don’t worry ours has been a pretty long process still , it’s been around 8 months now but we did buy our land at the right time as it settled pretty much within the 1st month

Who are you guys building with?? I loved the plans and selection stages !!
i just can’t wait to see the slab then I think it will feel more real !!

We are building with Statesman Homes and at this rate, can’t see the house completed until this time next year.

Looking forward to the selections stage but still undecided on kitchen cabinets, tiling etc. hopefully by April we will have a better idea what we want.
bebbsy How exciting though !! we checked out the statesman selection center and it was really nice

It all comes together although we changed our selections Soooo many times even after we signed our contract haha so don't worry if you aren't sure as you can always change it later on

Where have you bought land??
Tysonandkaylie
@bebbsy How exciting though !! we checked out the statesman selection center and it was really nice

It all comes together although we changed our selections Soooo many times even after we signed our contract haha so don't worry if you aren't sure as you can always change it later on

Too many different styles I like for wall and floor tiles and cabinetry, it is doing my head in! We are building in Kersbrook.
Bebbsy
Tysonandkaylie
@bebbsy How exciting though !! we checked out the statesman selection center and it was really nice

Too many different styles I like for wall and floor tiles and cabinetry, it is doing my head in! We are building in Kersbrook.

Make sure you have a good meal before you go for your selections! An empty stomach can be a distraction
R9917099
Bebbsy
Tysonandkaylie

Make sure you have a good meal before you go for your selections! An empty stomach can be a distraction

AND COFFEE!!
Bebbsy
Tysonandkaylie

Kersbrook is amazing !! did you get a massive block??
Im sure it will all full into place once you do the selections and hopefully you get someone with experience that is helpful! i found the facade the hardest and still have no idea how its going too look! i know it is going to be dark though but that is what we are after
Tysonandkaylie
Bebbsy
Tysonandkaylie

Kersbrook is amazing !! did you get a massive block??
Im sure it will all full into place once you do the selections and hopefully you get someone with experience that is helpful! i found the facade the hardest and still have no idea how its going too look! i know it is going to be dark though but that is what we are after

Yes it’s a peaceful spot, we don’t have a huge block, just 950sqm but enough I think. We have built twice before but it doesn’t get any easier when choosing facades and internal finishes. 😏
Where exactly is it you are building?
bebbsy It sure is ! 950 is a perfect size block i would have loved that extra 200 sqr metres!! Who have you previously built with was it a good experience? This is our first. We are in Highfield in gawler
Tysonandkaylie
@bebbsy It sure is ! 950 is a perfect size block i would have loved that extra 200 sqr metres!! Who have you previously built with was it a good experience? This is our first. We are in Highfield in gawler

We previously built with Weeks Peacock, now the Weeks Group. It took 16 months to build, it was very slow, always waiting for the next tradie it seemed. The metal frame took more than a month to put up by one guy, who later told us it was his first ever frame he had constructed!
We were quite happy with the quality of the build, just some issues with the foundation, gyprock and install of oven and range hood, otherwise it went well. We didn’t have a building inspector but did get to the site nearly every day to check progress

Good luck with your own build.
Can anyone recommend a independent house inspector preferably north of Adelaide? And what sort of price have people paid before??
And it begins !! Our block has started to be leveled today sooo much more soil than we thought (about 300 ton) but it will be worth it leveling the entire block instead of just where the house sits
all the soil will be removed this weekend and then with some luck footings next week 🤷‍♂️
Good luck with the build, we built with your builder several years ago but totally different part of the country. We ended up with a fairly good house but had to keep a close eye on things. Getting an independent inspector will be worthwhile.....we used the municipal inspectors ourselves.

Just curious with the soil removal, is that cost on you guys or was it included in your contract? We also have some soil to remove and it is strange to me that the builder's don't actually just get rid of it straight away themselves.
darb74
Good luck with the build, we built with your builder several years ago but totally different part of the country. We ended up with a fairly good house but had to keep a close eye on things. Getting an independent inspector will be worthwhile.....we used the municipal inspectors ourselves.

Just curious with the soil removal, is that cost on you guys or was it included in your contract? We also have some soil to remove and it is strange to me that the builder's don't actually just get rid of it straight away themselves.

Thank You
. Yeah we will be on top off it all , Simonds have a really good reputation here in SA and the SS in our area i have heard all good things about so fingers crossed its a smooth process but there is always going to be some defects i'm sure!
Luckily we were able to do all the site cut and soil removal ourselves. So its definitely worth asking the question as you can save big money! I reckon we are saving around 15k
Related
9/05/2023
what to add for energy efficiency building volume home

Eco Living

go upvc window frames ensure insulation under colorbond. not just sarking, lighter color roof also not sure if you have seen this viewtopic.php?t=5823 last couple of pages…

11/05/2023
Building duplex at the hills council area

Building A New House

Even if it's not being sub-divided and you want to keep it as Torrens title, you will still need to talk to a town planner or Council themselves, to see if they will allow…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum