Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Best block orientation for forever home

Page 1 of 1
Hey everyone,
We have settled on a certain design that we love, and now I'm trying to figure out what would be the best type of block to buy to maximize passive heating and cooling.

The house we are building is 11.5m wide and the block of land will be 16-18m wide and 32m deep.

There will be a plunge pool to the right of the dining/living area.

Would it make more sense to have the Northern Aspect hitting the back of the house (South facing block) or the Northen Aspect hitting the right side where the pool will be? (East facing block)

We will be building in the Adelaide Hills which doesn't seem to get too hot in summer but very cold in winter.

I’d say the right side, as your living areas and alfresco would get it too. And then the back will be west facing, being a shorter side less shading from the west sun will be needed.

If the back faces north, all your bedrooms are going to get the west sun and be hot just when you want to go to bed!
At this stage a visit to the Federal Gov't "Your Home" site is a must, if you haven't been there yet. So much practical stuff to read on azimuth/orientation/insulation/construction etc. You'll enjoy!

http://www.yourhome.gov.au

With minimum space available in your current design, it bleeds an awful lot of space to transit and lavatory enclosures. Maybe worth a thought?
Ideally you would want your living spaces facing North and your bedrooms facing South.
Related
24/04/2024
Screed Orientation

General Discussion

Hi Everyone, Looking for opinions on how to orient…

28/04/2024
Question about orientation

Building A New House

Hi, My first post here. I got an plot of land that is at an angle to the road & facing South-East. I read a planning guide on house orientation and the attached layout…

28/04/2024
Home builders for battleaxe block in Hornsby LGA

Building A New House

Simeon, Ashington homes, regular contributor here with great work and a very transparent and honest approach. He is the sort of builder we all need.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum