Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Our Coral Heron:We're in and LOVING IT!

Page 5 of 8
Ryan Oliver
OMG. You are obliterating our build! Well done on all your progress.
It all looks so fantastic!

I know Ryan, I think we had the same start date then we had SOOOO much rain up here nothing happened on our block for a good 2 weeks. I was watching your build rocket away while our block turned into a swimming pool. Now, they've certainly made up for lost time! All the tradies and our SS seem really very nice and very motivated to keep things moving. Our pantry shelves, all the skirting boards were done, and the frames and shelves for the bedroom cupboards and linen cupboards were all done today.

Bathroom and laundry tiles are being done next week
JellyLegs
Ryan Oliver
OMG. You are obliterating our build! Well done on all your progress.
It all looks so fantastic!

I know Ryan, I think we had the same start date then we had SOOOO much rain up here nothing happened on our block for a good 2 weeks. I was watching your build rocket away while our block turned into a swimming pool. Now, they've certainly made up for lost time! All the tradies and our SS seem really very nice and very motivated to keep things moving. Our pantry shelves, all the skirting boards were done, and the frames and shelves for the bedroom cupboards and linen cupboards were all done today.

Bathroom and laundry tiles are being done next week

Wow, that is sooo awesome! Tres Jealoux my friend. Good on you! Good luck for the rest of it!!
JellyLegs
Mine is Coco Brillo Gloss - do you know what yours is called? I've tried to find it on your blog, but can only see the white ones you originally chose. It looks great, if mine come out looking that good I'll be really happy!

Sorry, I cant recall the name, and I have all the paperwork packed now.. I will search the beaumont site and see if I can find it though.
-Sha

edit: ok I found them... they are-

Gloss Latte 100x300 $1.36 EA (inc GST) $45.01 SQM (inc GST)
ITEM NUMBER: 97319
SIZE: 100x300x8
WEAR RATING: 0
SLIP RESISTANT:
[quote="JellyLegs"]
Thanks Annelies,
I've noticed you've been looking at Coral Homes - have you made a decision? I must have missed that.

I think the stipple steel would look good with the blue pearl. Have you seen a colour combination like that in any of the display homes? I'd even recommend going to a kitchen company - tell them you're renovating because they wont give you the time of day if they know you're with a project builder - and play with their 'big' samples there. A lot of them will have whole doors and a slice of benchtop so you can see how they all match. Also, the Laminex showroom at Murrarie has a HUGE range of samples and some lovely displays and is really worth a look. [quote]

Great idea,Yellylegs. I think we are going to plan a Brissyday as soon as possible because we were not able to pick a tile from the standard range either. There is nothing that we like, I'm afraid. Hopefully Amber Tiles, Major Tiles etc. in Brisbane have more to offer than the shops in Maroochydore and Noosaville.

I recognise your problems with the windows and we already changed from dark to aluminium coloured frames, although we like the darker frames on the outside. For us the inside colour is a bigger issue. We have not picked the colour for flyscreens either as we just rejected the quoted Barrierscreens. After reading a warning from somebody on this forum that most of them do not meet AS for Barrier Screens, HO of Coral confirmed that their screens do not meet them either, so why pay almost $3000 extra?

We are still in the process of choosing between Coral and Perry Homes. Prices are coming together so now we have to consider all the other issues, like start of build (Coral in Juli and Perry in September) and the fact that Coral offers free excess to the house when building and Perry does not.

Well Jellylegs, I have nothing to add to your issues, I'm afraid, but really appreciate all the help you've given me, already.
wowser! fantastic looking home!
Wooohoo looks like a beautiful house congrats
sha
JellyLegs
Mine is Coco Brillo Gloss - do you know what yours is called? I've tried to find it on your blog, but can only see the white ones you originally chose. It looks great, if mine come out looking that good I'll be really happy!

Sorry, I cant recall the name, and I have all the paperwork packed now.. I will search the beaumont site and see if I can find it though.
-Sha

SLIP RESISTANT:

Bummer Sha - they're not the same

Thanks for going to that trouble to look it up for me.
JellyLegs
sha
JellyLegs

-Sha

SLIP RESISTANT:

Bummer Sha - they're not the same

Thanks for going to that trouble to look it up for me.

Well they look the same! Maybe they are just different names by different companies, but same tile? I am sure they will look fantastic anyway!!
-Sha
I always thought I'd actively keep my thread up dated, but although the painters have been working very hard for over a week now, there hasn't been much to report or photograph. I have to say, I'm really impressed with how it's looking. There are some rooms that have a bit of streaking around the top of the walls, but I'm pretty sure they're not finished. Other rooms, like the family room / kitchen are clearly finished and look fantastic.

I've put more pics on my blog if anyone is interested in sticky beaky more (or listening to me rant a little more), but because it's late and I can't be bothered waiting for the photos to load into photobucket - here's a sampler

So, this is Dulux White on White in my spiffy kitchen:
http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr64/JellyLegs01/100_0269.jpg

This is where the painters took some creative initiative (which I am sadly lacking in) and added some Dune to the alfresco roof:
http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr64/JellyLegs01/100_0277.jpg

This is our Dune front door:
http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr64/JellyLegs01/100_0281.jpg

And this is the pressy left on our front 'lawn' by some inconsiderate prat:
http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr64/JellyLegs01/100_0282.jpg

It's JUST occured to me that my splash back tiles might actually be a very similar colour to Dune. Could I have possibly some how fluked a little bit of colour coordination? I'll have to peel myself off the couch and get my samples out.....nah...maybe tomorrow.
hey jellylegs, was just reading through your blog earlier, lookin good
have you decided yet what to do about the floor...
Building with Coral 2009
hey jellylegs, was just reading through your blog earlier, lookin good
have you decided yet what to do about the floor...

Nope!!!

What do you think? Any suggestions?
just checked out some polished concrete pics, i think the ones with lots of aggregate look the best

it's an interesting idea, i had never actually heard of polished concrete for inside a house until i saw it on your thread a few months ago

i don't know what can be done about the skirting if you do decide on polished concrete though...i am having tiles, but only because i really badly want to deck over the concrete in my alfresco area (eventually...) and thought it would look silly having timber laminate inside and dark, maybe merbau decking on the alfresco...i am going to go with a gloss tile though, i love the glossy look (like sha's house
) but you can definitley achieve this look with polished concrete aswell... i don't know jellylegs
have checked out in real life some houses that have polished concrete?
I have seen it in many, many shops but only 2 houses. A lady at my sons school over heard me talking about it and invited me back to her place to see it - she had her rumpus done only a few days before. It looked great, so I phoned the guy who did it and saw what he had done in his house. I thought it looked great, but I really appreciate that not everyone would agree with me and don't really want to ruin any potential resale value. You can get lots of different finishes, we actually like the finish where the agreggate isn't too big. Last year one of those Home magazines had an Eco edition and pretty much every house featured had polished concrete. They all looked stunning.

I love Sha's tiles. And she got them at such a great price too. I look at tiles like that and decide that's the way I want to go for sure. Then I'll look at polished concrete and think it looks like porcelain tiles without the grout to clean and is 1/2 the price. Seems like a no brainer when I think of it that way, so why is it such a hard choice to make??

You're right about having the laminate inside and the deck outside. We're going to be building a deck too, so you've just clarified one option for me
And I just ordered some Karndean samples too!
It's looking fantastic Jellylegs. We're actually thinking of using White on White also so it's great to see it painted on the walls

I personally love the look of polished concrete but unfortunately for me my DH doesn't it. We've selected a floor tile that we both love, so we were able to come to a happy medium. But I say if you love it, then definitely go for it.
Thanks for the comments about our floor tile everyone

We think it looks great too..(even though I had my heart set on timber look PVC (Karndean), but hubby wanted tiles) .. i compromised, but said it 'had to be' glossy tiles .. love em

BTW.. Karndean is very expensive and there are other very similiar products out there that are a lot cheaper, but similiar quality.. even the carpet court told me it was ridiculously priced.. might pay to look around.

Jellylegs, Love the white on white paint! and our painter did the same thing around our alfresco except with 'paperbark' paint .. looks great huh!

-Sha

PS I think the polished concrete would look great!
Am loving how the house is coming together JL....very schmick indeed

The Dune in the alfresco looks great and it's added a bit of oomph to it
(think l might steal that idea for myself, lol)

Looking forward to seeing more pics
Hi jellylegs...couldn't resist anymore I am way too addicted!....YOUR HOUSE IS LOOKING ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC
what great colour choices you have made...white on white looks so crisp and fresh...and don't get me started on your kitchen...it all looks lovely!
Thanks Everyone!

Thanks for the tip on Karndean Sha. As quickly as I started to consider it I rulled it out. Jess pointed out how it might 'clash' with the deck outside, so I'm over that idea now! Argh.

Steal away Thorney! It's not my idea - far too creative for me

GREAT to see you back again Kylie

You know, I did end up getting out my splash back tile and compared it to the Dune sample card and they are very similar. Not only that, our ensuite has the same coloured tiles, just different size AND we've been looking at carpet that is of the same type of colour. So, OMG, we have actually managed to fluke what should be a reasonably well colour coordinated house! Also, I'm happy again with our window frame choices. I went looking at display homes again last weekend and it seemed that all but one had light coloured frames. I was feelilng like we'd made such an out-dated decision, but when I saw the one with the dark frames, I liked it so much better than the others. So, another decision that I can rest easily with now.

Anwyay, here's some more pics of the finished paint. I am just so glad we chose White on White. It's perfect. Fingers crossed now that I get a phone call from our tiler on Monday morning.

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr64/JellyLegs01/100_0356.jpg

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr64/JellyLegs01/100_0359.jpg

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr64/JellyLegs01/100_0360.jpg
I think the windows look great against the white paint
I think the contrast between your black window frames and the white looks great. We used black for our window trim in the last house and we loved it but this time we wanted something different so we're using Surfmist to match the roof

The white is looking fab JL !!
Related
2/11/2023
Coral Homes-can they shrink plans?

Building A New House

Ask the council if there is a chance of getting build over easement exemption. Sometimes easements are unused and 24cm is not all that much. Good luck. And yes any builder…

14/04/2024
Is it possible to get the Coral Homes Highlands 36 home?

Building A New House

In Qld it is a requirement that a builder must have a cost breakdown, for building a home to the same specification, with the same inclusions and the same finish. So ask…

8/11/2023
Our house was beautiful until Distinctive Homes destroyed ou

General Discussion

of course there are legal avenues. You've already mentioned it. Sue them. I find it odd that lawyers wouldnt be willing to take on the case, given CCT evidence and…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum