Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Our Coral Heron:We're in and LOVING IT!

Page 2 of 8
Yayy for you guys!!
No good with the rain huh.. I know, cause we had the same problem

It's very frustrating since we have been in drought for so long..

I hope it stops raining for you soon!
-Sha
Thanks Sha!

This weather is so frustrating. It's HOT and sunny right now, but more rain and storms are expected today. It's painful looking at our patch of mud knowing that a whole week has gone by now and nothing has been done. They were hoping to get back into it today, but I'm not at all confident that will happen.
Hey JellyLegs... just wondering if anything else has happened on your block yet?
Hi Seakyl,
Thanks for asking. To be honest, this is probably the biggest nightmare of our lives. I just can't wait for this experience to be over. There really is NO joy in any of this for us at all.

Long story short. No. Nothing. I just saw Wakeboardandy's thread. His start date was the same as ours and his frame is done!

The long story:
Site start Fri 6 Feb, site was scraped, scarified by Wednesday 11 Feb. Nothing was done on Thursday 12 Feb and the heavens opened on the 13th Feb. The rain slowed down by the end of the following week, and then we had a decent shower on Sunday 22nd. I phoned our SS on Tuesday 24th for an update and he said it was still too wet to get on.

I went out there the next day, Wednesday and to me it looked DRY. Our SS was on holidays now, so I phoned the construction manager. I told him I was there, it seemed dry to me, when can we get things going....blah blah blah. He told me he'd been there that morning and reckoned it was still too wet to get a 7-8 tonne truck on, but if it didn't rain, Friday (today) would be the go.

So, I phoned him AGAIN yesterday to make sure we were still on track to get things started today. The news was good and he was going to be there at 9am this morning.

I popped out at about 10am to see a trench and some spray painted crosses and no one in sight. It was pretty disappointing to say the least, but I thought perhaps they’ll be back later to keep going. But, no such luck. I just got a call from the CM to tell me that the truck sank and they can’t do anything else until Monday now. Can you believe it?

I know all these things take time, but on Wednesday it was 18months since we signed the contract for the land. We've been royally
'd around by council, developers, the bank, our broker - EVERYONE. In this time we've spent nearly $30k on rent, put major decisions on hold, have had to move once and this rental is on the market now too. I'm really at the end of my tether with it. We don’t even feel like getting excited about any of this. Every time we’ve had any good news it’s come with a side of problems and disappointment and numerous phone calls from us to get it resolved. So, they say Monday – it would be nice to be excited about that, but I’ll only believe it when I see it.
I read in another thread that you have a slab down!! Congratulations, finally a start!!

BUT where are the piccies!!!
What is the build up to now?
I know, I know - I've been very very slack with the pictures. Wouldn't you know it as soon as I have something to take pictures of our modem died. Telstra first said 4-5 days to send a new one, then on day 5 when we phoned to ask where it was, we found that they didn't log the call and we're now told 5-10 days!!! So, I've just been jumping on line quickly when I can. But, here we go, the long awaited start:

Site Scraped:
http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr64/JellyLegs01/100_0316.jpg

2 weeks later because of the rain plumbing was done Monday 2 March:
http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr64/JellyLegs01/DSCF1118.jpg

Then the framework was Tuesday 3rd
http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr64/JellyLegs01/03032009002.jpg

Then the slab went down on Wednesday 4th:
http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr64/JellyLegs01/DSCF1125.jpg
http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr64/JellyLegs01/DSCF1128.jpg

They started the frame on Saturday but I don't have any pics of that on my computer yet. It all looks good - we just noticed that the 1.5m window I have along my kitchen bench has been placed quite high up. Should be an easy fix.

We also have a new SS as Coral have suffled staff around to different duties. I spoke to him this morning an he sounded nice, and keen to have this house built quickly too. It still doesn't seem real. We've waited so long and have had so many stuff ups along the way we just seem to be waiting for the next disappointment. It just feels so inevitable that something will go wrong its still hard to get genuinely excited about it. Hopefully we're wrong and it will all be great!
I know, I know - I've been very very slack with the pictures. Wouldn't you know it as soon as I have something to take pictures of our modem died. Telstra first said 4-5 days to send a new one, then on day 5 when we phoned to ask where it was, we found that they didn't log the call and we're now told 5-10 days!!! So, I've just been jumping on line quickly when I can. But, here we go, the long awaited start:

Site Scraped:

2 weeks later because of the rain plumbing was done Monday 2 March:

Then the framework was Tuesday 3rd

Then the slab went down on Wednesday 4th:

They started the frame on Saturday but I don't have any pics of that on my computer yet. It all looks good - we just noticed that the 1.5m window I have along my kitchen bench has been placed quite high up. Should be an easy fix.

We also have a new SS as Coral have suffled staff around to different duties. I spoke to him this morning an he sounded nice, and keen to have this house built quickly too. It still doesn't seem real. We've waited so long and have had so many stuff ups along the way we just seem to be waiting for the next disappointment. It just feels so inevitable that something will go wrong its still hard to get genuinely excited about it. Hopefully we're wrong and it will all be great!
Congrats Jellylegs! I hear you about the rain. I hope you dont have more delays this week with the rain. I hear there is a fair bit predicted for brissy. Fingers crossed
Congrats on your slab JellyLegs!!!!!!!

Can't wait to see the frame!! The house next to us is the 251 version to yours so hopefully it should look the same from the front... very nice!
congrats jellylegs! keep the piccies coming!
Looks like the frame is done and the roof is ready to be constructed.

The kitchen:

A bedroom:

The family room:

The roof trusses:

we are at frame stage too! roof trusses tomorrow....ready, set, go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[quote="kyiee81"]we are at frame stage too! roof trusses tomorrow....ready, set, go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote

Congratulations!!!

I'm looking for your thread, I haven't seen it for a while....
Very exciting. It certainly makes it real with a frame going in doesn't it.
HI JellyLegs I have finally updated thread *sigh* been busy with work so unable to feed my H1 addiction as much as usual! I am glad to see yours is finally coming along after all the waiting you have had with building. Lets hope the rain stays away
so we can get to lock up!
Thats awesome Jelly Legs !!!!

Roof will be on soon !

Where abouts in Brissie are you building ??

Can't wait to see it all come together!
Yah! How exciting for you
how exciting hor you i bet you cannot wait for it to be finished so you can move in all the best
Thanks everyone. Its still a painful process. Argh - when does the fun part start? The roof trusses are waiting to go on, but it's still too wet for them to be working at heights. Having said that, a few other houses near us had their roofs put on in the pouring rain, and we're just getting pissy little showers now. Now, I REALLY don't want any one to get hurt building my house, but I wouldn't mind the pace being picked up a little! Come On Sunshine!!

The windows are going in today, weather permitting, so I'll pop out later and get some photos.
Related
2/11/2023
Coral Homes-can they shrink plans?

Building A New House

Ask the council if there is a chance of getting build over easement exemption. Sometimes easements are unused and 24cm is not all that much. Good luck. And yes any builder…

14/04/2024
Is it possible to get the Coral Homes Highlands 36 home?

Building A New House

In Qld it is a requirement that a builder must have a cost breakdown, for building a home to the same specification, with the same inclusions and the same finish. So ask…

8/11/2023
Our house was beautiful until Distinctive Homes destroyed ou

General Discussion

of course there are legal avenues. You've already mentioned it. Sue them. I find it odd that lawyers wouldnt be willing to take on the case, given CCT evidence and…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum