Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Does ceiling height adds value to the property?

Page 1 of 1
Hi all, I need a suggestion. Can any please advice if ceiling height adds value to the property? A friend of mine works at realestate, he said it does. I asked my builder to increase the height from 2400mm to 2590mm. He is charging me $4050, and to bring it to 2740mm height it’s an extra $6,300 which is just an extra half feet. Do you think half feet can add massive value to the property in resale? I am building for myself to live in, it’s not an investment property. Its a single story home in Melbourne West.
Short answer is yes, absolutely.
Do it, you won't regret the decision. It makes the home look that much bigger and spacious, instead of cramped.

I would also suggest making the doors 2050 high in lieu of standard.

Walk through a few display homes, you can tell the difference between standard height and 9 foot.
If budget is tight then you may need to reconsider but I’d do that over many other ‘upgrades’
If the cost is too much for 2.7m then 2.59 is a better option than 2.4m standard height.
Ceiling height is something to do before other things like kitchen bench tops and fancy taps
You cannot modify ceiling heights as you can do the former after the build. So see what you can afford in ceiling height and go with it.
When I was looking at displays the one thing I was impressed was the metricon Bordeaux and it's 3m dowstairs ceilings. It gave the house an airness that I had not seen before as most other displays had 2.7m ceilings. It was that reason that years later when time come to build a 3m ceiling was the first on my checklist.
All better end homes will have higher ceilings, it can be one of those things that stop some people buying your home when selling, especially if your use to a more spacious look and feel, worth every cent, go for highest you can.

Thank you everyone for your feedback.
If you want the full effect of high ceilings you should raise your window heights to 2.4m as well.

Absolutely higher ceiling!!!
We have ground floor ceiling height to 2740mm and upstair ceiling height to 2590mm.
All ground floor room doors are 2340mm high even kitchen pantry doors.
Our friends are loving higher ceiling of our house and they wish they have high ceiling like us....feels very spacious.
Hi shazaw, did you leave your door heights in the upper floor as standard? Thanks
We've gone for 34 course (2914mm) in our portico, entry, front hallway, kitchen, dining, living and alfresco. The remainder we've done 31 course (2657mm), and a 34 course recessed ceiling in the theatre. We saw a display will taller ceilings like this and it looked fantastic. The cost is worth it for resale (well I think so anyway).
Melbournevic
Hi shazaw, did you leave your door heights in the upper floor as standard? Thanks

Sorry for late reply, Yes upper floor doors are standard heights.
We end up paying extra $850 for 2340mm high pannelled 10 doors, extra again for 2 * 2340mm high cavity sliding $613... please note these prices were from 2014.
Everything do add up little by little BUT looking back now I wished I have added more major items like soundproof insulation between subfloor especially above guest bedroom.

Build Thread : viewtopic.php?=31&t=81624
shazaw
Melbournevic

Sorry for late reply, Yes upper floor doors are standard heights.

No probs, thanks shazaw. We are having standard door heights as well to upper floor and I was just curious to know.
Related
29/01/2024
Do floor to ceiling tiles ad much resale value

Building A New House

They make the room much easier to clean for one, reflect more light (if light colour tiles are used), and you dont end up with dust on the top edge of tiles (cause most…

15/01/2024
Project builder - value for money

General Discussion

As a tradesmen get a private inspector although I don't think there worth it in their profession themselves the reminder they serve to the tradesmen doing the work is…

31/01/2024
Is swimming pool cost effective to add value to new build?

Building A New House

The last home I lived in didn't have a pool and when i went to sell it the agents were not happy, even telling me to put one in to sell the place. The agents weren't happy…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum