Nov 19, 2019 12:41 am
I've been following this forum for a little while now, and love it. Some great content on here!
My wife and I have purchased a block in Perth's northern corridor and am now entering the design / consultation stage. We have gone for a few display homes for ideas, but spent a lot of time researching designs online (floor plans from builders, houzz etc).
We have a a good idea on certain aspects of our design, and features we want the house to have, but are also open to suggestions from builders/a designer as their the experts.
We are leaning towards going via a boutique / smaller builder as there are some trades I would prefer to use - its not a deal breaker, but some very close friends & family are trades, so know I would get a very attractive price and quality would be exceptional. Whilst some spec builders will allow me to use certain trades - in many cases they won't credit me much for removing (for example) tiling...so makes it uneconomical to introduce my own trades.
The trades I would look to introduce are:
- bench tops (kitchen, laundry, bathrooms). This is a must
- supply (however have builder install) appliances (oven, cooktop, range-hood, outdoor bbq etc) and sinks. This is a must
- supply and install tiling - not a must but strong preference
- Cabinets - not a must but preference
- painting (internals post handover - not door frames, ceilings etc) - again not a must, but preference
We are looking to build:
- Single story
- approx 350 sqm
- high quality build
- budget circa 350k (this excludes pool cost, exposed aggregate, landscaping)
Our block is 730 sqm so have some flexibility re. design
Would also look to install a fiberglass pool (possibly during the build process???) - but organise this myself, and not via the builder due to cost.
After going to a number of display homes recently we found the sales people difficult to deal with. They clearly are that, sales people. Our preference is to work with a consultant that is less pushy, doesn't degrade his competition at his/her first opportunity, and has a good idea of design. We've also found it difficult to find a design (be it display home or a spec builders design) which works for us, as many are for smaller blocks.
We are considering going to a building broker - but have heard mixed reports.
Would really appreciate your thoughts
- recommended process from here (ie go through a spec builder and modify existing design or go to house designer, or building broker)
- any recommendations of quality builders in that price range for a single story
- any good sales consultants you've used
- thoughts on building brokers, and whether you would recommend one in Perth (there are a few Ive come across online)
Any advice is greatly appreciated
Sign in or Join to reply to this Topic
thmeKDR - New Choice Homes Custom design - Perth, WAKDR - New Choice Homes Custom design - Perth, WA
Sorry been really busy with work over the past few weeks and haven’t really done much else since the last update. We’ve been held up a bit by the shire replacing the…
malypetuBuild Inspection on every stage - worth it and which stages?Build Inspection on every stage - worth it and which stages?
Hi All I've read all the comments here, very valuables, I also believe that pre-slab inspections is vital as you can detect problems ahead of time and avoid expensive…
amilelkaNew home build - Custom Design WANew home build - Custom Design WA
This week the ground floor ceilings were painted and the doors primed. The tiling screed and waterproofing were done as well. The tiles have been delivered ready for our…