Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Feature Glass near entrance

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

In one of the design I am looking there is a feature glass from ground to ceiling(Double Story).
I think the look will be good for the house, but I am more concerned about temperature inside the house during winter.

Ps - Worst case I will ask to reduce the size of glass like a long picture window than from ground to ceiling
Double-glazing will help with keeping the house cool/warm. Will allow a lot of natural light in and great potential for water feature, etc. You didn't mention which direction this faces so this will impact on how much heat loss in winter (south facing) or heat gain in summer (north facing) this will cause. In any case I think double-glazing would be mandatory.
OurLindrum52
Double-glazing will help with keeping the house cool/warm. Will allow a lot of natural light in and great potential for water feature, etc. You didn't mention which direction this faces so this will impact on how much heat loss in winter (south facing) or heat gain in summer (north facing) this will cause. In any case I think double-glazing would be mandatory.

Thanks, the glass would be facing east or little bit to south-east
Having built a home with voids and lots of glass... yeah looks pretty in the display but you need to think about:

-blinds
-privacy during the day without compromising light
-cleaning
-view

We have nothing but a view of our neighbours older home, and it’s impossible to clean ourselves. We don’t like the look of the electric blind being down but have no choice as it’s like living in a fish bowl.

Related
7/09/2023
Black Main Entrance Door in North East-Facing House

Building A New House

The warning is on the sticker on the door too. Second the aluminium powdercoat

24/03/2024
Building Near Train Track - Additional Cost for Acoustics

Building A New House

Our standard double-glazed window is tested to achieve, Rw 34, and can be glazed to suit Rw 39. The price is good too...

18/09/2023
Feature brick discoloured

General Discussion

hmmm id assume youll get hit with the "natural product therefore variation in colour etc" excuse. How bad are we talking? One could argue that if none of the displays or…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum