Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

5m slope in the land, should I buy it?

Page 1 of 1
I am planning to buy a land and I thought I found the perfect land for us. But Then realized the land has a 5m slope. How much the site cost will be increased due to this slope? Or is it even a good idea to invest in such land?
raihan
I am planning to buy a land and I thought I found the perfect land for us. But Then realized the land has a 5m slope. How much the site cost will be increased due to this slope? Or is it even a good idea to invest in such land?

How much slope where the house will go?
raihan

I am currently building on a site with a 4m fall and am spending around $150,000 on retaining walls, plus you will have drop edge beams etc

I would budget around $200k extra
Depends on the slope across the actual building platform not the whole block.
SejaeD
raihan

I am currently building on a site with a 4m fall and am spending around $150,000 on retaining walls, plus you will have drop edge beams etc

150K on retaining walls? Thats crazy!

Sounds spectacular, put in an offer subject to Engineering & Construction feasibility
I would say over $200K if it's in an existing old suburb
adjacent to Houses and that doesn't included restoration work of Surrounding Houses
Goodluck
Way too many variables to provide an estimate. Where we are there’s a builder that has a number of plans for sloping sites, so that would be my advice, work with the slope with the correct design to minimise site costs.
PharmaG
SejaeD
raihan

150K on retaining walls? Thats crazy!

With a fall that large you are going to need to retain the rear yard and mostly like the front yard as well.

With CDC you can do a maximum cut and fill of 1 meter across your building platform so that means you are going to need around 4m of retaining, even if you terrace the yard you might have to do 4x 1m high retaining walls.

Once you take into account the footings, the steel, blockwork, render, corefilling, waterproofing and backfilling it all adds up.

In addition I will guarantee that you will also need drop edge beams and you could be looking at anything from $15-30k there as well.

In addition, when you are doing your driveway, as it sounds like it will be quite steep, the driveway will most likely need piling and retaining walls to support it as well.

So yes, you will easily spend $150k
People plucking figures out their arses, the OP hasn’t said how large the block is, whether the slope is L to R or back to front or a combination.
Walk away, Ranee.
Build with the land, split level, step down etc.
Don’t try and put a standard home on it or you will be paying stupid prices for landscaping
gillybean
People plucking figures out their arses, the OP hasn’t said how large the block is, whether the slope is L to R or back to front or a combination.

Raihan ...You have missed this little buried $80K gold nugget here
Slab & Formwork Costs 3 m slope length , 1.2 m slope width , 4 level,etc
Forewarned is forearmed
Goodluck
If the land is right for you turn the slope into a feature of the property. If practical build up and down the slope and have a two or three level house cut into the land (undercroft) . If you can do that then the additional cost of building on the site will be less as part of the structure will be doing the land retaining for you. To give you accurate advice send me the site plan and I can give you an idea of whats possible if you like.
Personally I love sloping lots so much!

Please attache photos, or sketches or google earth shot, you may get help, ideas, or suggestions...

Is the lot sloping front to back?
Or is it sloping left to right?

What are the lengths of ALL sides of the lot?
raihan

Is there a slope stability issue? If there is then it is a different ball game check with the local council
to see if you are in a high risk area before you do anything.What area are you thinking of buying in?
Related
11/08/2023
Landscape backyard on a slope land

Landscape & Garden Design

Need advice on the backyard plan above. Should I excavate and cut all of the dirt to level with the house slab or semi-excavate as per photo above? Both left and right…

25/02/2024
Slope land builders Melbourne

Building A New House

Hi All, We have recently purchased a sloping block (3.5m fall building envelope, 6m overall). Just wondering if you know of any good builders that you would recommend for…

24/03/2024
Purpose of site survey: boundaries, slope, trees? what else?

Owner Builder Forum

A survey must’ve completed by a certified surveyor. This form part of every DA requirement

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum