Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Storing repurposed timber

Page 1 of 1
Hi all, my husband and I have been sourcing repurposed timber for use in our build next year. Most are from 100 year old sheds etc. What do you suggest is the best way to store? Currently we have them out in open, spaced with smaller bits of wood and covered with tarp however lots of mould spores already..
It is fascinating how to best way to preseve most timber is just to use it and store it in ways that allow the timber get dry most rapidly after wetting. Paints and flashing and covers, like tarps, just lead to eventual rot.
kks
It is fascinating how to best way to preseve most timber is just to use it and store it in ways that allow the timber get dry most rapidly after wetting. Paints and flashing and covers, like tarps, just lead to eventual rot.

I've had many mixed suggestions. Some folk say just put tarp over them and others say leave it open so long as they are spaced out with bits of timber every few layers to allow airflow... I would have thought putting heavy duty tarp would keep them dry?
Related
6/07/2023
Engineered Timber Flooring Vs Solid Timber

General Discussion

Engineering timber is certainly a less fuss option, times cheaper to supply and install and better withstands humidity.

18/08/2023
Engineered Timber Installation - Floating vs Direct stick

General Discussion

Thanks Simon, I guess I'm no concerned with the volume of the noise rather that dead and hollow sound and feel that is associated with floating floors. But I'm not sure…

5/09/2023
Water Underneath Timber Floor

General Discussion

The most likely cause of your timber swelling (parquetry?) is either a plumbing leak or carelessly leaving water on floors after use or both. Without seeing, i am ignoring…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum